CR1HolderJo

Pregnant US citizen without health insurance

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Officially confused as where they are, OP has stated both Jordan and Georgia.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Your wife may qualify for medicaid. Only you, the LPR, cannot use medicaid.

However she doesn't qualify until you MOVE to the USA.

https://dch.georgia.gov/medicaid

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

They accept why not.. go to your local Healthcare community center. They will check her, and your income and qualify you right away.

You have 2 choices. either apply online at www.healthcare.gov or go to your local community center. They will do all for you.

Their are tons of resources available to you, Just explore. I hope you, your wife and the new baby be doing good.

i would prefer to go healthcare community center.

Good Luck and congratulation.

Thanks, please can you help me to reach a company that provides obamacare?

Do they accept already pregnant women?

Filed: Timeline

I think most ACA policies will cover oversees but they may be at higher rate.

A pregnancy will trigger a speical enrollment. She needs to go to helthcare.gov review the information and/speak to a representative. If she does not get good answers from the reps, I would recommend that she reach out to a relative in GA to help her find what is called a health care navigator in her home state to give hopefully better answers.

Its not inexpensive even with Obamacare the deductibles are high as are the co-payments but you may qualify for assistance or maybe even Medicaid?? Best thing to do is go to the website. If this does not work, please send me a private msg on here and I can see if I can help I work in health care for over 15 years doing policy work and have contacts that I could ask and get you on the correct tract.

If you guys come back stateside just go to the healthcare.gove site and prob less complicated of an issue but I think you can enroll overseas as well.

1. ACA Healthcare.gov access federal exchanges (or referral to state exchanges).. no expat policies.. most state policies have Emergency International coverage only to meet the QHP standard of the ACA.

2. CR1/IR1 is not LPR until they stamp in to process this --- LPR is valid status for applying as-is AOS to LPR, .. arrive first.

3. Pregnancy is NOT a Special Enrollment Period. After delivering, the BIRTH will constitute a special enrollment for adding the child. The recent grant of LPR is a special enrollment as will be their move to Georgia if they have not done so already. Since the US Citizen and LPR spouse are applying together, the change in immigration status would prevail on the group. Either way though, it seems they are just moving in which also grants 60 days.

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Special Open Enrollment for the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) can be as a result of moving and a change in immigration status. There is no open enrollment season for Medicaid, you can apply for it year round. There also might be some programs in the state and/or county that you live in that help pregnant women.

Also, pregnancy for the longest of times was not considered a pre-existing condition in terms of denying coverage, however, with the new Obamacare plans they can't deny you due to ANY pre-existing conditions.

My in-laws (my wife's parents) immigrated to the US in the end of 2014 during the Affordable Care Act open enrollment period. Due to the amount of health needs it was very important that my wife got them insurance with a low deductible. My wife was worry because of the amount that she and I make they would not be eligible for a subsidy. However, someone informed us if they file their own taxes for 2015 then they would be consider a separate household, even thought they live with us, and since they have no income they would be eligible for a the federal subsidy. So now their health insurance premium is affordable for my wife and I.

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Post advocating deliberate delinquency removed along with post quoting.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I do not think they are in the US.

they are in the state of Georgia

Your wife may qualify for medicaid. Only you, the LPR, cannot use medicaid.

However she doesn't qualify until you MOVE to the USA.

https://dch.georgia.gov/medicaid

His is Jordanian with a green card living in the state of Georgia with his pregnant US citizen wife

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Still no clarity.

Still no clarity.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

they are in the state of Georgia

His is Jordanian with a green card living in the state of Georgia with his pregnant US citizen wife

That's why I linked the Georgia medicaid website. However I cannot definitively say where he is, which is likely due to ESL. If you believe it is so, then the link should be helpful.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats on the pregnancy. $10,000 to $20,000 out of pocket. Have you looked into Obamacare?

This figure doesn't seem accurate. You will pay something based upon your taxes, most likely if you are asking probably closer to $2,500.00. Anytime someone gets a job they can enroll in Obamacare, so if you or your wife got a job the first couple weeks here regardless of where it was at you would get a choice to enroll again. The cost of child birth I'm getting from someone I know who didn't show a lot of income on taxes probably like 25k, and Obamacare info is what I learned by reading about it. Good luck!

I see a lot of advice,but I can offer first hand advice!

I just moved back to Georgia On February 21. I was 12 weeks pregnant and I am now 4.5 months pregnant.

You have 3 options, medicaid (if eligible apply straight away), the marketplace health plans (aka obamacare), or pay all out of pocket.

1. medicaid - this is what I have, I am currently working part time at a restaurant. My husband is still in Australia and we are finalising his green card (interview on April 21). Due to our situation, I am eligible for Medicaid because my husband is a non-resident non-tax filer. Although he makes decent money it is not included in my application for medicaid until he arrives in the USA and he gets a job here. Then I will need to reassess the situation. Medicaid covers all hospital bills and doctors visits, although I did have to pay $3 for a needle tip to get blood drawn (yet Medicaid covers the drawing of the blood - strange!). If you are eligible for this, also ask about WiC. It's a program that Georgia offers pregnant and breastfeeding moms. You get vouchers for healthy foods and milk from the grocery store.

2. Marketplace - this is what I thought I would need. I called up before arriving and had arranged to apply and pay, however my doctor advised they would not accept the insurance. Be careful and check with a doctor in your area that you plan to use BEFoRE you sign up! The doctors the insurance I nearly chose were over 2 hours away... Not what I wanted to do if I went into labor. As for whether or not pregnancy is covered as a pre-existing condition, yes it is. For a plan with a $4,000 deductible, we were planning on paying around $200 per month for me alone. We were happy with that as it beats $20k-$25k or more in hospital bills. Once you reach the deductible, they advised that the insurance would cover the remaining costs. You can get a plan with the marketplace straight away when you arrive, you will need to guesstimate your annual income, then call up and update them when you get a job and know what the yearly income will be.

3. No insurance - one visit for me was over $500. I paid out of pocket and could not get it back. Considering that was only a check up and bloods, I'd hate to see how much a visit with bloods, check up, and a scan would cost. And I don't even want to think of the hospital costs...paying for insurance would be better.

If you do plan to pay out of pocket, check with the obstetrician as most offer a discounted set rate for all visits and the delivery and after the baby is born. Still expensive,but best to bundle and save in any way possible.

I went through all of the options over and over in February. I applied to the marketplace, then to medicaid,then back to the marketplace and finally got in with medicaid. As our situation was unusual I had to deal with a supervisor who had to contact someone higher at medicaid to make sure they treated the situation correctly. But now I am good to go! Feel free to message if you have any questions. :) and congratulations

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.