Jump to content

Question - filing I-824 for follow to join child with husband's I-485

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband entered the US on December 20, 2014 on a K-1 visa. We were married March 16, 2015 and are now completing my husband’s AOS I-485 package. My husband’s son is in Ethiopia and was listed on my I-129F as a follow-to-join. We are not completing an AOS for his son at this time.

The instructions of the I-485 state "if the child is residing abroad, the person adjusting status should file a Form I-824 together with the Principal's Form I-485" Should I leave Part.3 Question #1 pertaining to filing date, receipt # & approval date since we’re filing it with I-485? Do I put the K-1 information in Part 3?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need that form. The child will not be immigrating based on the applicant's adjustment. A follow-to-join would enter the US within a year of the K-1 parent with a K-2 visa. They need to apply for a K-2 visa at the consulate in their country. They will adjust from their K-2 visa once they are in the US. They will need their own separate I-485, and check c. in Part 2, not b.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if really following to join, file the DS-160, pay the visa fee for the child, and arrange for K-2 interview soonish with the consulate/embassy.

So, I agree with KayDeeCee, echo her advice to you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for clarifying the instriuctions and the K-2 visa.Unfortunately the US Embassy in Addis is understaffed and does not respond to email inquiries in a timely manner (I had to involve my Congressperson durng the K-1 process as it had been 2 months without a reply to email/follow up).

I had filled out the DS-160 for the child at the same time that I filled out my fiance's/now husband and the child accompanied my husband to his interview. My husband received instructions from the Embassy at his interview to return to the Embassy with the child when ready to fly to the US and that the Embassy would review the medical (only valid for 6 months) and [i believe] grant the K-2 visa. I suspect I may have to fill out another DS-160 with updated address information as my husband is now in the US and of course pay the visa fee (wasn't an option when I filled out the DS-160 for the child). Is there any problem with submitting a new DS-160 for the child?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.