FloridaMinsk

Newbie here.... Really would appreciate some advice

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Hey guys and gals. Will make this quick and dirty. I am in Florida, gf lives in belarus.. We have over 2 years showing our relationship. We weren't sure whether to do the k-1 vs cr-1... I called uscis today and the times to complete both were the same (5months).... We thought about getting married in minsk. But then she saw where the USA does not like it when you marry in belarus...... I can't believe this is true... But she was really worried... Pls tell me that she is getting wrong info.

Also she has two little girls. They should be citizens when she becomes one ... Correct? And how much will their dad need to do?

And.... Will she have to turn in her belarus passport when she receives her USA? Will it be the same for the kids?

Also either way on the filing. I will need a document translation service. Any referrals?

Sorry for a long post. I just want to make sure I get it all in ... Thank you in advance for taking the time to read. Have a blessed day.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure why you mention naturalisation that is a long way away, if they wish to do that.

K1 is usually quicker, no issue if you marry where you do so.

Start by reading the guides that will give you a good general overview.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Don't be fooled by USCIS processing times- that is only part of the process, there is also NVC, and then the case gets shipped to the embassy, where they ened to do medicals and schedule an interview. You can easily look at a year for the whole process, depending on which service center you go through and how quick your embassy is in scheduling interviews.

It does not matter where you marry, Belarus is fine, as long as it is a legal wedding. In general, K1 fiance visas are faster, but more expensive, and she cannot work or travel for a while after she gets here, because there is more paperwork to be done. CR-1 spousal visas take longer, but are cheaper, and once she immigrates, she gets a greencard immediately.

As mentioned, citizenship is a long way off. First they need visas, which will lead to greencards, and then once they live here, if you are still married 3 years later she can go for naturalisation.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.