Teddy B

AOS From Tourist Visa Threads Being Shut Down

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you guys think we should include a paragraph about possible consequences of lying to a border guard or USCIS official? Or is that overkill?

That should apply to everybody, not specific to this situation .

Adjusting does is not specific to visitor entrants, applies to all non immigrant entrants that are allowed to adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'll make more of a point of pointing out "back seat modding" and false accusations, and ask other mods to do the same, you are absolutely right that such is against the TOS, though wording and context are crucial here- often, an opening post has little information, in which case, pointing out what is planned MAY be visa fraud may be legit.

My other concern is that, as you point out, we get many new members here who have little to no knowledge of the immigration process. If those who have not entered the USA yet see the AOSing threads, and we do not allow any mention of grey areas/ potential intent issues, they may get the wrong impression, and try to enter the USA and at the border say they intend to stay or some such.

I don't think anyone has a problem with pointing out the "grey areas" or "intent issues" to posters looking for info on this process, I know I don't. The purpose of this thread is to help curtail the false accusations of fraud, the judging of the morals of the posters using this process and the snide comments that come along with it. All of which are against VJ TOS and also tend to scare posters away as well as derail these threads from the original topic.

Penguin, thank you for listening and agreeing to make some changes, your cooperation as well as the cooperation of the other mods is appreciated.

Sorry, Penguin, I was away for the weekend. I would say "AOS From K-Visas" so it includes K-2 and whatnot, also. I think I have that right - K-2 also requires AOS, right? And the forum in question could be something like "AOS From Non-K Visas/ESTA/VWP" or the same as it is now, but including ESTA/VWP in it. The important thing is to get the word "family" out of there because that really confuses people.

Regarding the rewording, this part is not true.

If your fiance/fiancee came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, and you are not yet married, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the K-1 visa should be filed (using an I-129f) instead of the I-130 to avoid a denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

To make it accurate and informative, it should be more along the lines of:

Your fiance/fiancee can not come to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage. This constitutes visa fraud. The K-1 visa should be filed (using an I-129f) to avoid a denial at customs and deportation.

If you are already married, your spouse can not come to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage. This constitutes visa fraud. An I-130 for the CR-1 visa should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid a denial at customs and deportation.

You could also include links to the appropriate guide in each section. As it stands, once the spouse is in the US they have been judged to not have immigrant intent, so they are fine to file AOS. In fact, once a person comes on here and we have established their spouse is in the US, we should not ever even ask about intent.

Do you guys think we should include a paragraph about possible consequences of lying to a border guard or USCIS official? Or is that overkill?

This all sounds good to me Val. I agree the key to lessening the level of confusion in these AOS forums is removing the word "family" from the title.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I like Val's wording, let me run it by Captain Ewok and see if that is ok.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I don't think anyone has a problem with pointing out the "grey areas" or "intent issues" to posters looking for info on this process, I know I don't. The purpose of this thread is to help curtail the false accusations of fraud, the judging of the morals of the posters using this process and the snide comments that come along with it. All of which are against VJ TOS and also tend to scare posters away as well as derail these threads from the original topic.

Penguin, thank you for listening and agreeing to make some changes, your cooperation as well as the cooperation of the other mods is appreciated.

I'm judging you by this post.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

The thread below appears to be the first thread handled under these new directives and was done so perfectly. The offending posts were removed, warnings were given and the thread allowed to stay open. Thank you mods!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/542666-getting-married-on-visa-waiver-program-after-submittinf-i-129f/

Any update from The Captain?

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Any update from The Captain?

Not yet, he has been working on the mobile version of the site as his priority.

But I believe an update of the TOS and clarified wording will be coming "soon".

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thanks! Happy Easter!

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013