Teddy B

AOS From Tourist Visa Threads Being Shut Down

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not think any of us are talking about grey area comments, just ones that are blatently wrong, either through ignorance or agenda.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

That should be the norm. Unless your white and a professed proven cross-carrying Christian, you should be considered guilty of intent.

Shouldn't this be like the CEHST forum where people are guilty until proven innocent? Or at least they are if they aren't a white Chrisitan?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

This is a difficult area to mod, because it can be a grey area, depending on intent.

To walk the line, modding wise, between allowing people a say (even if they disagree with the Op), and pointing out what could be illegal intent/ miss-use of a tourist visa, and helping those who genuinely have cause to AOS can be hard, and those reports are often debated muchly amongst the mods before we moderate the thread (or not moderate, as the case may be). What usually happens is that some posts are removed and maybe an in-thread warning to cool it given, or a verbal warning to the worst offenders in a thread(ie a note on their profiel, but without a suspension unless they seriously breached the TOS), and if that does not stop the bickering, we close the thread- especially as the link to our Guide, which answers many of the questions asked- is usually posted in one of the first few replies.

Teddy? is this yer answer?

If yes, please ask your topic to be closed,

or

let's dissect this more, aye?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

But it is allowed whether or not there was intent - which is often where a thread gets derailed. We end up explaining the same thing, over and over and over, thread after thread. I try to report posts that have nothing to do with the OP's questions, but I am not often on VJ these days. I have found the mods to be very responsive at those times, though, which is much appreciated.

Two things I'd like to see - first, renaming the two AOS forums so people don't post in the wrong one. I think that would cut out a substantial portion. Secondly, repeat offenders should be forum-banned. There are certain people who do like proselytizing in the AOS from non-family based visas on occasion. I think if there were a certain number of reports, that resulted in their comment being deleted, they should be banned temporarily, then permanently, from the forum.

Good points. There are some in the upper forums who have a holier than thou attitude and others who tell people to blatantly lie. We're supposed to support following the law here, even if we don't agree with it. Some people get mad when they perceive others as taking a shortcut or cheating to shorten the process. Some support changing the law not to allow AOS from a tourist visa.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Some people get mad when they perceive others as taking a shortcut or cheating to shorten the process. Some support changing the law not to allow AOS from a tourist visa.

Yes, there are. And that's their own problem. We are simply trying to answer questions in that forum that people new to the process are asking. Judgment really doesn't help them, and is totally inappropriate. The current methods of dealing with it, or not, really, allow people to be scared away who may then make an error in their paperwork or process that could get them denied and deported. Plus, I would rather spend my limited time helping people rather than trying to convince others who have no darned business commenting that they have something wrong.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Two things I'd like to see - first, renaming the two AOS forums so people don't post in the wrong one. I think that would cut out a substantial portion. Secondly, repeat offenders should be forum-banned. There are certain people who do like proselytizing in the AOS from non-family based visas on occasion. I think if there were a certain number of reports, that resulted in their comment being deleted, they should be banned temporarily, then permanently, from the forum.

We can certainly looking into re-naming the forums to make them clearer-0 and yes we do need to move a lot of threads, which causes work for us too. What would you suggest naming them?

Afaik, we cannot ban someone from a forum, just individual threads(or the whole site). But Hopefully Captain Ewok can answer that one.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

But it is allowed whether or not there was intent - which is often where a thread gets derailed. We end up explaining the same thing, over and over and over, thread after thread. I try to report posts that have nothing to do with the OP's questions, but I am not often on VJ these days. I have found the mods to be very responsive at those times, though, which is much appreciated.

Hi Val, good to see you!

I hadn't given any thought to renaming the two AOS forums but sounds like it could be a good idea. What did you have in mind?

I suggested this a few years ago, but it didn't go anywhere. Maybe make it more specific - AOS From K-1, K-3 Visas; AOS From Non-K Visas. The issue is people see the word "family" and think it applies to them because they are adjusting based on marriage. If a person is AOSing from a K visa, they KNOW that. Our forum tends more to the people who have little to no knowledge of the immigration process.

Penguin, I know that you can't forum-ban right now. I just wish you could. Is it technically possible? Or am I just tilting at windmills?

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

This is a difficult area to mod, because it can be a grey area, depending on intent.

To walk the line, modding wise, between allowing people a say (even if they disagree with the Op), and pointing out what could be illegal intent/ miss-use of a tourist visa, and helping those who genuinely have cause to AOS can be hard, and those reports are often debated muchly amongst the mods before we moderate the thread (or not moderate, as the case may be). What usually happens is that some posts are removed and maybe an in-thread warning to cool it given, or a verbal warning to the worst offenders in a thread(ie a note on their profiel, but without a suspension unless they seriously breached the TOS), and if that does not stop the bickering, we close the thread- especially as the link to our Guide, which answers many of the questions asked- is usually posted in one of the first few replies.

I do appreciate the job the mods do. You have all been very responsive to reports of trouble in a forum thread, and you are fair.

Do you really want my opinion on the guide for AOSing from a non-family visa? I think the warning is inflammatory. And incorrect. I have stated multiple times that it should be, at the very least, reworded.

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

But it is not our place to judge anyone's intent nor can we really do so through a computer screen unless the poster comes right out and states his/her intent, which does happen from time to time.

We' are CEHST forum participants. Of course we are supposed to judge and ridicule them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I suggested this a few years ago, but it didn't go anywhere. Maybe make it more specific - AOS From K-1, K-3 Visas; AOS From Non-K Visas. The issue is people see the word "family" and think it applies to them because they are adjusting based on marriage. If a person is AOSing from a K visa, they KNOW that. Our forum tends more to the people who have little to no knowledge of the immigration process.

Penguin, I know that you can't forum-ban right now. I just wish you could. Is it technically possible? Or am I just tilting at windmills?

I do agree that having the word "family" in the forum description for AOS from K visas is confusing, I remember being tripped up by it when I first started posting here as well. I like your suggestion of replacing the word "family" with the actual visa names, much easier to understand.

I do appreciate the job the mods do. You have all been very responsive to reports of trouble in a forum thread, and you are fair.

Do you really want my opinion on the guide for AOSing from a non-family visa? I think the warning is inflammatory. And incorrect. I have stated multiple times that it should be, at the very least, reworded.

I agree with this as well.

We' are CEHST forum participants. Of course we are supposed to judge and ridicule them.

Dammit, I've been doing it all wrong.

Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The posts I am referring to are the ones that come right out and accuse the poster of "bypassing the system", "cutting in line", "not doing it the right way", "go home and wait like the rest of us", or the worst one, "you are committing fraud".

The result I am hoping for with this issue is less tolerance on behalf of the mods to the repeat offenders and a verbal reinforcement made to the posters by the mods that falsely accusing other members of immigration fraud is a violation of TOS.

I'll make more of a point of pointing out "back seat modding" and false accusations, and ask other mods to do the same, you are absolutely right that such is against the TOS, though wording and context are crucial here- often, an opening post has little information, in which case, pointing out what is planned MAY be visa fraud may be legit.

My other concern is that, as you point out, we get many new members here who have little to no knowledge of the immigration process. If those who have not entered the USA yet see the AOSing threads, and we do not allow any mention of grey areas/ potential intent issues, they may get the wrong impression, and try to enter the USA and at the border say they intend to stay or some such.

So "AOS from K1 and K3", and leave the "other AOS forum" as is?

Last time we checked, it was not possible at all to ban people from one forum, or one category, but I know Captain Ewok is planning some upgrades, so who knows in future...

I would not agree with removing it, but I am absolutely willing to discuss a re-wording. What would you suggest?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg