Teddy B

AOS From Tourist Visa Threads Being Shut Down

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I've seen several threads on the subject or variations thereof be closed because people highjack them and start speculating and making veiled accusations. I'd rather see off topic posts deleted and their posters subjected to admin action instead of closing the entire thread, which in the end provides a deservice to the OP.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have tried reporting such posts in the past, nothing was done.

The uninformed are mainly new members.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hopefully we can make some progress with this thread.

Timeline

I doubt it, this has been an issue since I first joined.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'll admit that when I first joined I was one of the 'uninformed'.

Even though I personally disagree with the AoS procedure and think it's far too open to abuse I think I'm grown up enough to accept that I was wrong and that while it's not a just system, it is legal.

I would be curious to know however. For all of the threads where people ask for advice on how to fraudulently enter the US with intent to adjust that are rightly locked by the mods. How many of those people then get private messages from members telling them exactly how to defraud the system.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

Certainly true that it is a much bigger issue on VJ that it is with US Gov.

More seemingly due to the wait in line than anything else.

PMs are private so not an issue for VJ. Better if on thread so errors can be pointed out.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Amen to that, but in the end, the [broken] laws are what they are and we must presume that everyone here is acting in good faith until proven contrary, and in the cases where nefarious intent is disclosed, the best we can do it give advice to the contrary and let each person choose their own path.

As participants of a public forum, we can't presume to act as police or dispensers of justice. People will do what they want to do and they have to live with the consequences of their choices. It's up to the USCIS to vet their cases individually. We can only steer them in the right direction and if you can help one single person navigate the immigration maze with a little less anxiety or hindrance, then you've accomplished your goal.

I'll admit that when I first joined I was one of the 'uninformed'.
Even though I personally disagree with the AoS procedure and think it's far too open to abuse I think I'm grown up enough to accept that I was wrong and that while it's not a just system, it is legal.

I would be curious to know however. For all of the threads where people ask for advice on how to fraudulently enter the US with intent to adjust that are rightly locked by the mods. How many of those people then get private messages from members telling them exactly how to defraud the system.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Amen to that, but in the end, the [broken] laws are what they are and we must presume that everyone here is acting in good faith until proven contrary, and in the cases where nefarious intent is disclosed, the best we can do it give advice to the contrary and let each person choose their own path.

As participants of a public forum, we can't presume to act as police or dispensers of justice. People will do what they want to do and they have to live with the consequences of their choices. It's up to the USCIS to vet their cases individually. We can only steer them in the right direction and if you can help one single person navigate the immigration maze with a little less anxiety or hindrance, then you've accomplished your goal.

Shouldn't this be like the CEHST forum where people are guilty until proven innocent? Or at least they are if they aren't a white Chrisitan?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Shouldn't this be like the CEHST forum where people are guilty until proven innocent? Or at least they are if they aren't a white Chrisitan?

SPOOOOOOKS! Welcome back. :D

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

This is a difficult area to mod, because it can be a grey area, depending on intent.

To walk the line, modding wise, between allowing people a say (even if they disagree with the Op), and pointing out what could be illegal intent/ miss-use of a tourist visa, and helping those who genuinely have cause to AOS can be hard, and those reports are often debated muchly amongst the mods before we moderate the thread (or not moderate, as the case may be). What usually happens is that some posts are removed and maybe an in-thread warning to cool it given, or a verbal warning to the worst offenders in a thread(ie a note on their profiel, but without a suspension unless they seriously breached the TOS), and if that does not stop the bickering, we close the thread- especially as the link to our Guide, which answers many of the questions asked- is usually posted in one of the first few replies.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

This is a difficult area to mod, because it can be a grey area, depending on intent.

To walk the line, modding wise, between allowing people a say (even if they disagree with the Op), and pointing out what could be illegal intent/ miss-use of a tourist visa, and helping those who genuinely have cause to AOS can be hard, and those reports are often debated muchly amongst the mods before we moderate the thread (or not moderate, as the case may be). What usually happens is that some posts are removed and maybe an in-thread warning to cool it given, or a verbal warning to the worst offenders in a thread(ie a note on their profiel, but without a suspension unless they seriously breached the TOS), and if that does not stop the bickering, we close the thread- especially as the link to our Guide, which answers many of the questions asked- is usually posted in one of the first few replies.

I think it's a very difficult area to mod or judge. The law allows it if it was not the intent, yet intent is easy to disguise in many cases. Some people are honest about it, others aren't. It is hard to prove intent.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015