mariyesteban

Made a mistake on DS-260, interview already scheduled

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting so forgive any ignorance or redundant questions you surely have heard before :blush: ...

I am the petitioner for my wife (beneficiary) in Peru. We have gone through everything so far and received an interview date and time at the U.S. Embassy in Lima, Peru in less than a week. After looking over all of our documents, I went back to print the DS-260 confirmation page from CEAC and I noticed a couple of errors I made on the actual DS-260 form. The errors were:

1) Wrong date for how long my wife has lived at her current address (ex. she lived there from 2007 and I had accidentally put in 2003)

2) Forgot to put my wife's employment history

To explain a bit more regarding the employment history omission, I guess I either forgot altogether or didn't feel it was necessary to put down that my wife only helped out her friend at a local school (for less than 1 month) and helped children in her neighborhood with English homework (she barely got any money from this and it was more for friends and family). I did however put those two things down in her G-325A when I mailed out the I-130.

Will this show up as a discrepancy to the consular officer? And would my wife be able to mention this at the time of the interview since it's too late to fix the DS-260? Would it be wise to fill out a DS-230 and bring it to the interview to note the changes? I don't want these two small errors be the cause for any delay in my wife obtaining a visa. She also recently updated her passport since it was going to expire in less than a month, but I didn't think it would be a problem as long as she brought both the old and new passport with her. THANKS!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I did the same mistakes. My job dates on G-325 r different than ds-260. I worried like u. But I did not get any problem in the interview with this. My embassy was New Delhi' India. Hope u will be fine also. What the others answers' wait....

Good luck.

raj

I think as long as you are aware of the mistakes and which one is correct you should be fine - in case they ask.

By the time it gets to the interview the petition has been sent to the NVC which received the DS-260 and approved your case - don't they check for these types of things there?

Timeline

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I called the NVC yesterday and they told me my wife could mention it at the interview and they'd be able to edit if necessary. Didn't seem like a big deal to the CSR.

Timeline

UPDATE: My wife was approved this morning! :dance: She was the first in line and was in and out in about 30 minutes. There was no problem with this issue.

Thanks for the advice. God bless!!!

UPDATE: My wife was approved this morning! :dance: She was the first in line and was in and out in about 30 minutes. There was no problem with this issue.

Congrats, must be a good feeling after the whole process!

• 6 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, my husbands interview is on monday and we also have some mistakes on DS-260, was she asked to review and mention any changes on DS-260 or did she mentioned it herelf?

Thanks, and congratsss!!!

Timeline

Hi farlovenear,

In our case, my wife went to her interview at the embassy with all of the required information. When she was called up, the case officer asked her basic information such as her name, case number, my name, where I worked and what I do for a living. That was basically it. We had decided beforehand to simply let them know we had made a mistake on the DS-260 if any of those questions were brought up. After all, it was a honest mistake! I took some good advice from people saying that as long as we have nothing to hide and we are completing truthful, we'd be ok!

I overthought the whole thing waaaayyyy too much, but then again that's the kind of person I am :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi farlovenear,

In our case, my wife went to her interview at the embassy with all of the required information. When she was called up, the case officer asked her basic information such as her name, case number, my name, where I worked and what I do for a living. That was basically it. We had decided beforehand to simply let them know we had made a mistake on the DS-260 if any of those questions were brought up. After all, it was a honest mistake! I took some good advice from people saying that as long as we have nothing to hide and we are completing truthful, we'd be ok!

I overthought the whole thing waaaayyyy too much, but then again that's the kind of person I am :lol:

Ok so you did mentioned even thouh the DS-260 was not brought up?

Thanks, I'm very nervous

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.