aklovely

Preparing the K-1 Petition

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm basically sabotaging myself because I keep getting stuck on nit-picky stuff. Please be patient with me. I've read the step-by-step guide several times, but maybe I still missed it. I've searched the forums the best I could, but maybe I'm not typing the right stuff in the search box. I've delayed posting on the forum long enough, so I'll stop being shy and ask my possibly dumb questions and hope I don't get told to search harder.

I'm gathering my evidence: photos, skype sessions, etc. What I need to know is...should I put my name and the current date on each sheet of paper? And is it ok to type a brief explanation of whatever is on each page (or maybe just for things that need to be explained)? Photos should be easy enough, so I'm not worried about those. As for cards, letters, gift receipts, should I photocopy those and put them in their own folder (though I wouldn't know what to classify said folder when labelling it)? Or are cards and letters not meant to be sent with the petition?

It's incredible how much time I've wasted on possibly unimportant details. :( Any advice is greatly appreciated, since I'm utterly and unreasonably at a standstill. I should've been done with this weeks ago, in all honesty.

Disclaimer: I'm probably going to have more petty questions as I get closer to completing my K-1 petition packet, but I swear I'll try to find out for myself before I ask.

Thanks in advance! And also, hi. (F)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Which consulate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I did, and I still do, question if maybe I put a "N/A" where I should have left a blank, or if there was some minute detail that I messed up. Don't beat yourself up over being thorough- follow the directions to the best of your ability. Worst case scenario is an RFE.

Cards and letters are good for proof of ongoing relationship, but that is not of the utmost importance at this stage- that might be better for the interview. USCIS wants to see proof of having met within the last two years. Photos are good, but they are "secondary" evidence. Give them primary evidence- things that irrefutably prove you have met, such as passport stamps showing entry into each other's countries or receipts in their town (photocopies are fine, but make sure you have original documents in case they ask to see them).

Your table of contents will be sufficient to explain what is in your packet. They know what they are looking at and what is missing. If you'd like, you can put post it notes on documents explaining what they are. Post its should be pretty easy for the person reviewing your case to remove. I did this with basically everything in my packet, just to make myself feel better haha.

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

K1 - 531 days between filing and wedding day

9-11-2014: I-129F sent

9-15-2014: I-129F received by USCIS

9-17-2014: NOA1

9-22-2014: Alien registration number changed

5-26-2015: Electronic NOA2 (251 days)

6-3-2015: Sent to NVC (8 days)

6-11-2015: NVC received, case number assigned (8 days)

6-19-2015: Left NVC (8 days)

6-22-2015: Arrived at embassy in Paris (3 days)

10-15-2015: Interview (APPROVED!) (115 days)

2-3-2016: POE at Washington Dulles (111 days)

2-24-2016: Our tiny civil ceremony (21 days) Finally married :wub:

AOS, AP, & EAD

4-29-2016: Packet sent

5-7-2016: NOA

6-6-2016: RFE via USPS (30 days)

6-17-2016: RFE response received by USCIS

8-9-16: EAD and AP approved (53 days)

Still no biometrics appointment due to issues with our local post office... :ranting:

9-2-2016: Ombudsman notifies us of investigation on our case

9-7-2016: Ombudsman sends biometrics appointment notice via email

9-9-2016: Biometrics appointment letter received via USPS

9-16-2016: Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm basically sabotaging myself because I keep getting stuck on nit-picky stuff. Please be patient with me. I've read the step-by-step guide several times, but maybe I still missed it. I've searched the forums the best I could, but maybe I'm not typing the right stuff in the search box. I've delayed posting on the forum long enough, so I'll stop being shy and ask my possibly dumb questions and hope I don't get told to search harder.

I'm gathering my evidence: photos, skype sessions, etc. What I need to know is...should I put my name and the current date on each sheet of paper? And is it ok to type a brief explanation of whatever is on each page (or maybe just for things that need to be explained)? Photos should be easy enough, so I'm not worried about those. As for cards, letters, gift receipts, should I photocopy those and put them in their own folder (though I wouldn't know what to classify said folder when labelling it)? Or are cards and letters not meant to be sent with the petition?

It's incredible how much time I've wasted on possibly unimportant details. :( Any advice is greatly appreciated, since I'm utterly and unreasonably at a standstill. I should've been done with this weeks ago, in all honesty.

Disclaimer: I'm probably going to have more petty questions as I get closer to completing my K-1 petition packet, but I swear I'll try to find out for myself before I ask.

Well none of that will hurt your petition. I don't think it's all necessary either. As someone else noted, as long as you have proof you've met within the last 2 years, that is sufficient evidence for USCIS. The rest of it is good to bring to the interview.

I submitted one photo of us, passport stamps, and airline boarding passes proving I had been to Indonesia recently. That's it. No RFE. Fiancee brought a lot of photos and a couple other items to the interview. Was approved.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

We've only met once, but I was lucky enough to have an entire year with him. Unfortunately, I don't have tons of evidence that we were together. But hopefully the small bits I do have are strong enough. I have gift receipts for things I bought for him in his town. I'll use that. Umm...I have only one stamp in my passport -- my arrival. We only took one trip to Melbourne together, but I have receipts for the aquarium there. I guess a bank statement showing purchases made while I was there? Doesn't really prove I was with him, so maybe not...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I sent in bank statements showing purchases made in my fiance's town. While it doesn't prove you were with him, pairing it with pictures and other secondary evidence makes your case stronger :)

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

K1 - 531 days between filing and wedding day

9-11-2014: I-129F sent

9-15-2014: I-129F received by USCIS

9-17-2014: NOA1

9-22-2014: Alien registration number changed

5-26-2015: Electronic NOA2 (251 days)

6-3-2015: Sent to NVC (8 days)

6-11-2015: NVC received, case number assigned (8 days)

6-19-2015: Left NVC (8 days)

6-22-2015: Arrived at embassy in Paris (3 days)

10-15-2015: Interview (APPROVED!) (115 days)

2-3-2016: POE at Washington Dulles (111 days)

2-24-2016: Our tiny civil ceremony (21 days) Finally married :wub:

AOS, AP, & EAD

4-29-2016: Packet sent

5-7-2016: NOA

6-6-2016: RFE via USPS (30 days)

6-17-2016: RFE response received by USCIS

8-9-16: EAD and AP approved (53 days)

Still no biometrics appointment due to issues with our local post office... :ranting:

9-2-2016: Ombudsman notifies us of investigation on our case

9-7-2016: Ombudsman sends biometrics appointment notice via email

9-9-2016: Biometrics appointment letter received via USPS

9-16-2016: Biometrics

I sent bank statements too, it showed ATM withdrawals and ticket purchases and the like.

Not to worry, I think we all do the "paralysis by analysis" thing at one stage or another. I think it comes with the territory :) Welcome to VJ !

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

The cards/letters and receipts we sent were photocopies and do not need to be put in a folder. In fact it is recommended to not have anything put in any sort of a folder. We organized everything, and made sure to state what everything was on the cover letter. Everything was paper clipped. The best thing to send for evidence is passport stamps and boarding passes. Do you have photographs that coincide with the receipts of places you visited? That would be helpful, especially if you label the back of the photographs saying where and when.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's late, but thanks so much for all the replies! I'm sitting at my desk, about to put it all together finally...but the only nagging question I have now is...I took screenshots of my FB page, but I cropped them so it'd all fit better on paper. On some, I scratched over swear words from other friends in Paint. Is that a no-no? Last thing I want is for my screenshots to be worthless because I edited them...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I know it's late, but thanks so much for all the replies! I'm sitting at my desk, about to put it all together finally...but the only nagging question I have now is...I took screenshots of my FB page, but I cropped them so it'd all fit better on paper. On some, I scratched over swear words from other friends in Paint. Is that a no-no? Last thing I want is for my screenshots to be worthless because I edited them...

Screen shots of what on FB? If they're of conversations with your fiance, I don't know why it would be an issue. If they are screen shots of photos of you two together, why not just download the photos? You could then crop them, then paste a few of them on a word document, and print them that way.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Thanks for your reply! :)

Actually, neither. Maybe it sounds silly, but my guy never uses his FB account. So there were no conversations between us there. However, I posted stuff on my wall during my year with him, and our mutual friends commented, all based around events that happened while we were together. I don't know how useful it'll be for my case, but I thought I'd supply any little tid-bit that somewhat proves that we were together at some point during the last two years. I guess even if they don't accept the FB pages for whatever reason, the other evidence I have should suffice. *trying to be brave*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, neither. Maybe it sounds silly, but my guy never uses his FB account. So there were no conversations between us there. However, I posted stuff on my wall during my year with him, and our mutual friends commented, all based around events that happened while we were together. I don't know how useful it'll be for my case, but I thought I'd supply any little tid-bit that somewhat proves that we were together at some point during the last two years. I guess even if they don't accept the FB pages for whatever reason, the other evidence I have should suffice. *trying to be brave*

aklovely, well to speak openly, you're overthinking this just a bit. From what I read regarding the evidence you have amassed already, the FB conversation wouldn't even be necessary. Submit it if you want, but it'll be overkill. FWIW. The gory details matter more during the interview, as others have mentioned. But even that depends on the embassy/consulate in question. To learn more about the embassy in Australia, I'd suggest that you view the regional subforums where folk discuss that stuff. But that too will come later, during the interview phase.

As Yuna mentioned, don't include folders and such, and don't staple anything together. And yes, print, sign and date every single sheet of supplemental information, ergo anything that is not a USCIS form needs that treatment. I also wrote what each and every extra sheet of paper was in reference to, citing the item number on the USCIS form, and using that same wording as the title for each and every sheet of paper. That way, they could know at a glance what each piece of paper was for, even before examining the actual content. But anyway.

Follow the guidelines, be certain that your content is ordered according to your cover letter, don't forget to have everything signed and dated (USCIS forms included) and don't forget your payment. Apart from that you should be fine.

And of course, don't forget to copy EVERYTHING! Make 2 or 3 copies of everything, including the front and back of your pictures.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Edited by av8or1

9/8/14 - I129F petition sent to the USCIS lockbox via USPS
9/11/14 - Petition received @ USCIS lockbox
9/11/14 - NOA1 Email and text message received
9/15/14 - NOA1 Official notice date
9/18/14 - NOA1 hard copy received
12/9/14 - "Updated" likely because of website repairs, like many of us received
4/20/15 - NOA2 text and email (221 days)

4/29/15 - Sent to the NVC (9 days)

5/8/15 - Arrived at the NVC (9 days)

5/13/15 - Left the NVC (5 days)

5/15/15 - Electronic version arrived at the embassy (2 days)

5/20/15 - Paper copy arrived at the embassy (7 days)

6/4/15 - Status changed to AP (which meant that we could schedule the interview)

6/16/15 - Medical

6/17/15 - K1 APPROVED!!!!

6/30/15 - Passport and sealed envelope delivered via courier

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi aklovely,

We started off the same way. My gf and I are still not sure of what to expect from USCIS. It makes more sense after you print everything out, label things, highlight things, put them in order, etc. Like everyone said make sure to sign and date every additional sheet and write at the top to which form and question you are refering to. I also added on the top right side "page 1/1" or 1/2, etc. you get the idea. I did it in case one of the sheets gets misplaced or something.

I also created cover sheets for her birth certificate, our proof of meeting in the past 2 years, etc. I included a short statement like "attached you will find...as proof of..." signed and dated too.

For evidence, since I was a student at the same university, we had to download all our bank statements and find purchases that showed we were at the same store on the same day. We didn't make any trips together until a year later, so that was the tricky part for us. The other evidence are email confirmations of our trips and bank statements proving we were in each others hometowns and pics.

If you have an A number, include it next to your name on all the sheets you are signing and dating.

We haven't sent our packet yet, but that's how we plan on doing it. I hope this is of some help. Here's the post I made a couple of days ago that helped me put the packet together: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/541965-getting-ready-to-send-in-i-129f-your-input-please/

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Felix

Don't even need your FB stuff. In all honesty your probably don't need much of any relationship proof given the consulate you are going through. A few pages of chat logs and some pictures would suffice.

I submitted about 20 pages of chat logs for my petition, as well as about 10 pictures. At the interview they only asked to see pictures.

Don't stress yourself too much over this. Get your packet finished, send it in and get the process started!

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.