Scot19000

Red Light Camera Ticket

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,

I accidentally made a left turn on red today ( left turn on green arrow only sign) and the red light camera caught me (saw the flash). Later a friend told me that a violation caught by red light cameras won't go down on your records, you'll only have to pay the fine, at least in Texas. I'm not sure if it's true.

What do you think?

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Texas you do not have to pay the fine. Most they can do it keep you from registering your card online, You can still do it if you go to the place you get tags like the DMV

http://www.trashyourticket.com/

Edited by VOL

Oh, if that's true, that'd be great, VOL.

The left turn light wasn't really working, half of it was black, half of it was red, and the next three lights for through traffic were green. On the left turn lane I saw a few cars behind me in the rear view mirror and didn't want them to honk at me, so I just stopped behind the white line, and when I didn't see any car coming I made a left turn. This is my very first violation.

Thank you for your input.

In South Africa red means STOP, DO NOT GO. Everytime I have driven in the US people were honking their horns when I didn't make a right turn on a red light quickly enough lol :)

I think it's dangerous to turn into a lane that has a green light for oncoming traffic.

In South Africa red means STOP, DO NOT GO. Everytime I have driven in the US people were honking their horns when I didn't make a right turn on a red light quickly enough lol :)

I think it's dangerous to turn into a lane that has a green light for oncoming traffic.

Unless a light specifically states that there is no right turn on a red (or is into a one way), you can ALWAYS turn right on a red if there is an opening. It annoys the living hell out of me when people sit there instead of turning right when there is an opening in traffic.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If there is any doubt about whether your turn was illegal then you won't get a ticket. Every red light ticket is reviewed before it is sent. All of them that I have seen it is obvious that there was a violation. As for paying it, the red light cameras are not government related, they are owned and operated by private companies. As such, there is limited action the government can take. Best to just pay it though. As far as I know it does not go on your record as a traffic violation. I live in Texas by the way, so that's all I know about.

Edited by Jmalaysia

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No It does not go on your record. Because they can't prove it was you who was driving.

I have about 6 work vans and we get these from time to time in different cities in D/FW area, I don't really know who was driving what van a certain day, I always put on the ticket it was not me and they have always written them off...

My suggestion is not to pay........

Unless a light specifically states that there is no right turn on a red (or is into a one way), you can ALWAYS turn right on a red if there is an opening. It annoys the living hell out of me when people sit there instead of turning right when there is an opening in traffic.

Sorry :) I'll become better when I drive regularly. I'll put a BIG "L" on my car so you know who I am.

Sorry :) I'll become better when I drive regularly. I'll put a BIG "L" on my car so you know who I am.

BC Canada actually does that. Puts an L for learners and an N for new drivers. They each have rules and at least you know to give them time and space. Colorado puts the handicap symbol on a basic license plate so you know that too when you're following.

I just think it's a good idea to let people know you're a new driver (here at least) and also for drivers to refresh their knowledge by looking over the manual every so often. You'll get it figured out. :)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Not necessarily - in New York City, a right turn on red is always disallowed unless there is a sign specifically allowing it. Connecticut drivers get ticketed on this quite frequently until they learn NYCs idiosyncracies.

Besides, right turn on red is ALLOWED after coming to a complete stop and there is an opening in the traffice. None of the right-turn-on-red laws REQUIRE a right turn on red. There are far more important things to be annoyed about.

In Texas was have left turn on red if it is one way (the cross street), Very few people are aware of this rule.

Alberta is the same as well.

Not necessarily - in New York City, a right turn on red is always disallowed unless there is a sign specifically allowing it. Connecticut drivers get ticketed on this quite frequently until they learn NYCs idiosyncracies.

Besides, right turn on red is ALLOWED after coming to a complete stop and there is an opening in the traffice. None of the right-turn-on-red laws REQUIRE a right turn on red. There are far more important things to be annoyed about.

Well it's a good thing I dont have anything important to be annoyed about. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Texas was have left turn on red if it is one way (the cross street), Very few people are aware of this rule.

We do too, but I think both have to be one ways.

I sure hope you never get behind me at a red ligth then :devil: . I tend to wait until there is a big opening or the light turns green. Of course my pet peeve is when someone stops at a yield sign for a lane that has a sign that says it continues.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza