ZA_35

Is this a bad idea?

20 posts in this topic

Hi

I haven't even left the NVC yet but I am thinking ahead at jobs.

In South Africa I am quite qualified and have been working in the finance industry for over 5 years.

I'm a bit of realist - it took me around 6 months to find this job after graduating so I know how it can take some time to land a decent (i.e.well paying) job.

As I will (hopefully sometime this century) be entering the US with a spousal visa/greencard, I want to start working straight away.

Will future employers look down on me if I take ANY job (even minimum wage) I can find until I find something suitable?

Thanks

Greetings from South Africa

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No. Why would they do that? As long as you have a clean record and you qualify to their requirements, you'll do fine.

I am in the same boat and actually thought I posted a similar question today!

I have over 14 years work experience in several countries. A bachelors degree from the United States and Advanced post-graduate diploma from my own country. I JUST received my EAD and have been applying for jobs I am qualified for an interested in.

While waiting for my EAD to come through, I updated my resume and did some certification courses in areas that I have worked in the past and to supplement my professional development. I had a social security number from University days was able to apply for jobs the day my EAD card arrived. That is the good news, but there is so much anxiety about the reality.

I have been told by many that I will need to start "from scratch" as no US employment history takes me back to the bottom of the ladder but this is hard to accept. My husband even thinks I should just get a minimum wage/ entry level job until something better comes along. Like you, I am concerned that doing this may "dilute" my experience as well as salary negotiations! Is it better to just concentrate on a full-time job search instead; I keep going back and forth on this. Looking forward to hearing the perspectives of others who have gone through this as well.

Edited by JDTXandShazTT

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi

In South Africa I am quite qualified and have been working in the finance industry for over 5 years.

I'm a bit of realist - it took me around 6 months to find this job after graduating so I know how it can take some time to land a decent (i.e.well paying) job.

As I will (hopefully sometime this century) be entering the US with a spousal visa/greencard, I want to start working straight away.

Will future employers look down on me if I take ANY job (even minimum wage) I can find until I find something suitable?

Thanks

It would be a Red Flag for sure.

My personal opinion - an immigrant who arrives "off the boat" and gets straight to work seems like a go-getter more than someone who wanders around looking for the perfect job. But you are probably right... I think we immigrants shouldn't undervalue ourselves and expect less. We've been through hell and back just to get there. Why aim low when you can aim high? It's America after all - the supposed "land of dreams". lol

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

On the contrary, any employment will bode well on your resume. It's not about how much you make, so much as the fact you're not willing to sit on your hands that counts.

Potential employers will look at your qualifications and gaps in your employment. It will become clear that a job outside your craft was a bridge job as you took your new life in America. You will be able to comment on your reasons during the interview.

Don't sit around.

What kind of red flag? For whom? Help us understand...

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi

Thanks

Yeah...US companies often tend not to honor foreign education and experience fully...

Finance is such a broad field and can require specific local regular knowledge and experience,

but you may be able to increase your chance to continue your level of job with additional training/certificates/license...

For example, if you are an accountant, passing CPA would be a huge plus.

So I think you should first look into what industry certifications/license you can study for now...

while you you are waiting...

I do think taking non-related or much lower position would hurt your chance

to get similar level job/pay later, but then again, I think any money earned is better than not.

Just be flexible in job situation the first few years, and eventually, if you work at it,

you should be able to resume your career at a similar or even better level in the future.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Timeline

What kind of red flag? For whom? Help us understand...

It would indicate that the employee does not have the skils or background to be able to work in their field and had to take a job below their education or payrate.

Timeline

Not under the circumstances described by the OP. It would just indicate the applicant had a keen interest in eating and having a roof over his head, even if it meant taking any job available at the time...

It would indicate that the employee does not have the skils or background to be able to work in their field and had to take a job below their education or payrate.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Not under the circumstances described by the OP. It would just indicate the applicant had a keen interest in eating and having a roof over his head, even if it meant taking any job available at the time...

All future employer will see is a Resume and it would be a snapshot in his job history.

If I did take a job like entry level, I wouldn't even put it on my resume.....

All future employer will see is a Resume and it would be a snapshot in his job history.

If I did take a job like entry level, I wouldn't even put it on my resume.....

I don't think there is any shame in working an "entry level" job to put food on the table. So I must disagree, nothing is "beneath" me but I do have valuable skills that the US would be lucky to utilize.

Timeline

There isn't any shame in working and making money honestly.

I don't think there is any shame in working an "entry level" job to put food on the table. So I must disagree, nothing is "beneath" me but I do have valuable skills that the US would be lucky to utilize.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hi

Thanks

You can take a job and leave it off your resume if you're worried about it. I don't think it would count against you, but it may confuse Human Resources, who tend to be more by-the-book people. If it goes straight into the hands of the potential employer instead of through HR, I don't think it would matter at all as long as it's explained in your cover letter. This is where networking could come into play. If the gap on your resume gets much longer than, say 4 months, then I'd add it, or something, to it. Make sure in your cover letter to address the fact that you have just recently moved to the United States--any reasonable person would overlook a few months' gap on the resume for someone who has just moved clear across the world.

For me, if I saw that on a cover letter, and saw something like Wal-Mart on the resume, I'd know what was going on and I'd look *more* favorably on the applicant for doing what needs to be done to earn money, avoid debt, etc. But I'd also keep in mind that they may be working elsewhere to pay the bills (or could have a different financial situation that is none of my business) and not hold a short gap against them. Long gaps, to me, need explaining, if not on the resume itself, than in an interview.

If I were in your position, I'd start a profile on LinkedIn, change my location to wherever it is in the US you're going to be living, start researching potential employers now (which you may already be doing). If you get the ball rolling, you may wind up with a conditional offer of employment (large firms can do this), the condition being you are physically present with a green card within X months.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My sister works in HR and when my husband arrived she told him to take any job he could get at first, even if it wasn't in his field of computer engineering, as employers would be more willing to hire someone with US job experience, even if it were a minimum wage job. It took him 5 months to find his first job, it was loading trucks at Walmart. He was happy to get a job and was glad to be working, even though it was a sucky job. In the meantime he continued to apply for jobs in his field. After working at Walmart for about 5 months he was hired as a paid 6 month intern position in his field with the good chance of being hired at the end of the contract(yes he started from the bottom). His boss said he wouldn't have hired him at all if he had not had any US job experience because it gave my husband the chance to see how companies worked here. Four months into his internship he was hired permanently with good pay and benefits. That was a year and a half ago. Two weeks ago he was promoted to management, he is in charge of the computer engineering department with several engineers below him. He was hired over others who had been working in the company longer than he has been working there. He worked very long hours in that year in a half(an average of 60-70 hours per week), never saying no to when they asked him to stay late to work on projects and traveling back and forth to Hong Kong several times to help out in their China operations, when others refused to go. His initiative and work ethic, in my opinion, is why he was promoted over the others, hard work and perseverance paid off big time. My husband has been in the US for almost two and a half years, in that time he went from being unemployed to working loading trucks, to an internship to permanent and now management. We also bought a home last year and we have traveled back to his home country of Jordan twice. We have removed conditions on his green card and in July he will apply for citizenship. So along with my sister's advice I recommend taking any job you can get at first and continue to apply for jobs in your field. US job experience will look very good on your resume, even if it isn't in your filed of expertise. Good luck!!!

Edited by mimolicious

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.