hastichiti

should the petitioner be in interview?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi guys

My category is f2a. My mother has applied for me. My interview date has been scheduled for April 28th in Abi Dhabi.

I am in Iran. My mother does not work in the US. So, my sister in US filed Affidavit of support. (my sponsor is my sister)

Should my mother (petitioner) be present in the US when I go to the interview in Abi Dhabi?

Should she be in US when I enter the US for the first time?

Thanks.

I really appreciate your help

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why? Where's your mother?

The whole purpose of the F2A is for family reunification in the US.

Timeline

my mother goes to us every 6 months and comes back. Now she is in Iran. And she wants to came back there in May.

why? Should she be in US at my interview date?

my mother goes to us every 6 months and comes back. Now she is in Iran. And she wants to came back there in May.

why? Should she be in US at my interview date?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The purpose of these visas, as was mentioned, is family re-unification in the USA. If your mom doesn't spend most of her time in the USA, then your visa may be denied on the basis of there being no need for you to have a greencard to be with your mother. Your mother as the primary sponsor must be in the USA at the time you immigrate or before, and considering her situation, you may be asked at interview for proof that she intends to return to the US and STAY there.

Additionally, your mother risks her own greencard if she does not spend the majority of her time inside the USA (the greencard is more correctly called Legal Permanent Resident Card- ie those who have one are meant to live in the USA); the "coming every 6 months for a few weeks" will work for a year or two, but not long term.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

The purpose of these visas, as was mentioned, is family re-unification in the USA. If your mom doesn't spend most of her time in the USA, then your visa may be denied on the basis of there being no need for you to have a greencard to be with your mother. Your mother as the primary sponsor must be in the USA at the time you immigrate or before, and considering her situation, you may be asked at interview for proof that she intends to return to the US and STAY there.

Additionally, your mother risks her own greencard if she does not spend the majority of her time inside the USA (the greencard is more correctly called Legal Permanent Resident Card- ie those who have one are meant to live in the USA); the "coming every 6 months for a few weeks" will work for a year or two, but not long term.

thank you for ur explanatioN.

but i have sisters in category f2b. We all want to live in the US. But it takes time for the whole family to reunify in the US.

Is it a law that my mother must be in US before I immigrate? I did not see that in travel.state.gov

Thanks againnnnn and alottr

Edited by Penguin_ie

Timeline

Before OR at the same time as you, yes. Read I-864, the policy is specified there.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Before OR at the same time as you, yes. Read I-864, the policy is specified there.

I read it. I did not find any term as "being in US" when applicant immigrates or something which means the same. :(

My mother is my petitioner and she has filed I-864, but she could not be my sponsor. my older sister who is living in US is my sponsor.

I really want to know if my mother should go at first :(

I can show the consular her ticket that we wanna go to US together in May. ( 1month after interview date)

if you get the Immigrant visa, on it there will be an annotation stating that this visa is ONLY valid if you're accompanied by the father/mother or spouse (which means she will travel with you and enter the US)..or follow to join (which means you will have to enter the US after your petitioner did) ...due to the type of visa you're requesting.. the F2A (spouse or children of permanent resident)

You'll have to be ready to answer. if they asked, when was the last time your petitioner entered the US and why is she spending so much time back in her country..

USCIS Stage

05/23/2013 - NOA1

11/04/2013 - I-130 Approved

NVC Stage

02/12/2013 - NVC received case

17/12/2013 - Case # and IIN

18/12/2013 - Completed DS-261 Choice of Agent

19/12/2013 - AOS fee bill invoice

24/12/2013 - IV fee bill invoice

08/01/2014 - AOS Paid

10/01/2014 - IV Paid

15/01/2014 - DS-260 Submitted

15/01/2014 - AOS and IV packages sent

10/02/2014 - AOS Checklist

11/03/2014 - CC by phone inquiry

18/03/2014 - CC email

30/01/2015 - IV date by phone inquiry

03/02/2015 - IL (P4) email

Consulate

Medical:25FEB2015

Biometrics:08MAR2015

Interview:17MAR2015-APPROVED!

CEAC visa status: 18MAR2015 - ISSUED

PickUp Passport & IV Packet: 20MAR2015

Travel&Cards

POE: 07/24/2015 JFK, NY

SSN: 08/03/2015

PR: 09/02/2015 Card received in mail

Timeline

if you get the Immigrant visa, on it there will be an annotation stating that this visa is ONLY valid if you're accompanied by the father/mother or spouse (which means she will travel with you and enter the US)..or follow to join (which means you will have to enter the US after your petitioner did) ...due to the type of visa you're requesting.. the F2A (spouse or children of permanent resident)

You'll have to be ready to answer. if they asked, when was the last time your petitioner entered the US and why is she spending so much time back in her country..

thank you soooo much for spending time answering me.

my mother has her ticket for May 30th. And my older sister and her husband. My grandpa and grandpa. My uncle. They are all living in the US. But my father and another sister are living in Iran.

Thats why my mother goes and comes back.

Do u think is that enough for considering that i am gonna live in the US? I actually do not want to come back to Iran. I want to have a job and study MS.

and i will enter the US at the same day with my mother

Edited by hastichiti

Timeline

If your mother can prove she will spend more time inside the IS from now on, you should be fine.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If your mother can prove she will spend more time inside the IS from now on, you should be fine.

thankss. I hope everything will be ok.

I have just a litttle stress

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.