lostinblue

Ferguson fake-out: Justice Department’s bogus report

48 posts in this topic

Several years ago the US decided to take the "high road" when it comes to human rights abuses. So, instead of whacking of hands and fingers for stealing, putting folks in stocks at the city square, and the like, we now keep criminals in air conditioned clean quarters, with TV, internet, and books. The prisons alone are way expensive, not to mention the upkeep in manning and training. And for what? If we let them out too early, the chances are good they will re-offend:

recidivism.gif

http://www.bjs.gov/content/reentry/recidivism.cfm

if we let them out too early? lol. danno! it is you isn't it! (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

you need to do more homework. jail is not rehabilitation, there is no reintroduction to society as a new and improved citizen. it has nothing to do with how long someone rots in jail. early releases aren't the problem.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Here is the pathetic side of the racist discourse espoused by some:

We should keep inmates in prison longer at a cost of thousands of dollars to the tax payers, in addition to the social cost to our country, but we should never consider spending a fraction of that amount in providing a better education for our kids, in an attempt to keep them out of the streets and before they consider crime as an option. Free jail is OK but free education is heresy.

In these brilliant minds, we should provide free lifetime jail living quarters, but never consider free college education as prophylaxis for our social ailments.

if we let them out too early? lol. danno! it is you isn't it! (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

you need to do more homework. jail is not rehabilitation, there is no reintroduction to society as a new and improved citizen. it has nothing to do with how long someone rots in jail. early releases aren't the problem.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

We should keep inmates in prison longer at a cost of thousands of dollars to the tax payers, in addition to the social cost to our country, but we should never consider spending a fraction of that amount in providing a better education for our kids, in an attempt to keep them out of the streets and before they consider crime as an option. Free jail is OK but free education is heresy.

In these brilliant minds, we should provide free lifetime jail living quarters, but never consider free college education as prophylaxis for our social ailments.

i guess some think that the most effective way to better society is exclusion as opposed to inclusion.

Oppressing the poor is better than giving them a chance.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Ah, yes and then there is the cherry on top of the cake. In addition to providing free housing and legal council to our inmates we also provide them with free lifetime medical care.

If we were to compare crime to a disease, we're spending millions trying to cure it, whereas we could be spending a fraction of that amount trying to prevent it.

Oppressing the poor is better than giving them a chance.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Timeline

Ah, yes and then there is the cherry on top of the cake. In addition to providing free housing and legal council to our inmates we also provide them with free lifetime medical care.

If we were to compare crime to a disease, we're spending millions trying to cure it, whereas we could be spending a fraction of that amount trying to prevent it.

You have it right there and you don't even see it. The real money is made off the cure not off prevention. And making money is what this is really all about. Always has been, always will be.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

please tell me why tax payers should have to pay to put someone through the criminal justice system and possible room and board in jail for jumping a turnstile? yes, changing the laws is the solution. why do you want to pay to keep people in cages over nothing? violent crime, that's what jail should be for.

Sorry but your response shows a lack of understanding about certain crime.

Catching turnstile jumpers picks up all sorts of concealed weapons, people out on warrants, and decreases crime. Most of them are not what even you would call upstanding citizens, and they deserve their fate. Many violent criminals are either removed from the subway, or are discouraged from practicing their predatory behavior, when turnstile jumpers are caught. And for simple turnstile jumping they do not get jail time, generally, so remarks about room and board are not relevant.

The lack of respect for general order and the police is a major problem, and contributes to the tense situations you often rail about. The answer is not to change the laws, the answer is for criminals and other sociopaths to change their behavior, or pay the consequences.

Sorry but your response shows a lack of understanding about certain crime.

Catching turnstile jumpers picks up all sorts of concealed weapons, people out on warrants, and decreases crime. Most of them are not what even you would call upstanding citizens, and they deserve their fate. Many violent criminals are either removed from the subway, or are discouraged from practicing their predatory behavior, when turnstile jumpers are caught. And for simple turnstile jumping they do not get jail time, generally, so remarks about room and board are not relevant.

The lack of respect for general order and the police is a major problem, and contributes to the tense situations you often rail about. The answer is not to change the laws, the answer is for criminals and other sociopaths to change their behavior, or pay the consequences.

even me huh. lovely :)

you completely misunderstood what i was saying concerning turnstile jumpers and i don't feel like trying to explain myself to you. lol

sooo, you believe that our current method of incarceration for just about everything (especially being poor) is effective? we just don't keep people locked up long enough. sure.

love that you lumped criminals and sociopaths together, like one group.

As a result, the FBI currently has 77.7 million individuals on file in its master criminal database—or nearly one out of every three American adults.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-arrest-records-rise-americans-find-consequences-can-last-a-lifetime-1408415402

what in the world do you think i'm screaming about here all day in and out??? there is absolutely NO REASON for 16,000 people in a city of 21,000 to have outstanding arrest warrants. none. this isn't a problem with the people of ferguson. jeez. HELLO.

I agree. They should all be behind bars, instead of having unserviced warrants

You do realize you usually have to do something for them to have warrant for you or maybe you think we invent stuff cause they are black

please tell me why tax payers should have to pay to put someone through the criminal justice system and possible room and board in jail for jumping a turnstile? for having a plant in their possession that holds less ability to harm than alcohol? yes, changing the laws is the solution. why do you want to pay to keep people in cages over nothing? violent crime, that's what jail should be for.

So whats your solution, Take down the turnstile, everyone ride for free and charge the taxpayers.

You do know how Rudy Giuliani cleaned up New York don't you.

You do realize you usually have to do something for them to have warrant for you or maybe you think we invent stuff cause they are black

So whats your solution, Take down the turnstile, everyone ride for free and charge the taxpayers.

jesus. now the entire conversation is about turnstiles. the solution has nothing to do with turnstiles.

Filed: Timeline

Nobody really knows but there are good indications that some measures worked better than others. Increased incarceration isn't among ther measures that worked better - in fact, hasn't made a dent in crime rates for two decades now. It costs a lot of money, of course, but delivers no real benefit. During Rudi's time as mayor the NYPD did came up with solutions that did actually made a difference and helped bring crime rates down.

CompStat began with a New York City transit police lieutenant mapping subway crime by hand. It was effective, so the system was computerized and implemented throughout the NYPD in 1994. It has since been adopted in cities across the country, with departments gathering data and mapping crimes. This both increases the information available to police and allows for additional accountability on the part of officers.

Below, you’ll see how a few big American cities’ crime rates changed four years before and after they introduced CompStat.8

roeder-feature-incarceration-41.png?w=10

These are a selected few cities, but their experiences aren’t atypical. In most cases, the introduction of CompStat is associated with an accelerated drop in crime or the reversal of an upward crime trend.9

After controlling for police numbers and time- and city-level factors, we found that across the board — violent, property, even homicide — there was roughly a 10 percent crime reduction associated with the introduction of a CompStat program. We only considered the 50 most populous cities — 41 of which have CompStat in some form — so it’s not immediately clear what the aggregate effect on nationwide crime has been or could be. But it’s potentially meaningful.10

All of this to say, crime trends are complicated. Surely no one is complaining about the recent decline, but no one fully understands it either. One thing is becoming clear: Increased incarceration’s role was minimal.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-imprisoners-dilemma/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

even me huh. lovely :)

you completely misunderstood what i was saying concerning turnstile jumpers and i don't feel like trying to explain myself to you. lol

sooo, you believe that our current method of incarceration for just about everything (especially being poor) is effective? we just don't keep people locked up long enough. sure.

love that you lumped criminals and sociopaths together, like one group.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/as-arrest-records-rise-americans-find-consequences-can-last-a-lifetime-1408415402

Maybe I misunderstood you, and if so I will be the first to apologize, but you do not want to explain? OK by me but strange. Also, I admittedly do not understand your post above.

But I never said anything about incarceration for being poor -- that is a ridiculous statement. And I never said anything about the appropriate length of time to be locked up. Please do not put words in my mouth. And FYI, many, if not all, sociopaths are criminals.