LibCampFireClub

MALAYSIAN ISLAMIC GROUP CALLS FOR LEGAL ACTION AGAINST GIRL FOR HOLDING DOG

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Is religious intolerance okay in this case?

MALAYSIAN ISLAMIC GROUP CALLS FOR LEGAL ACTION AGAINST GIRL FOR HOLDING DOG
malaysia-dog-touching-Reuters-640x480.jp
A religious group in Malaysia has issued an official complaint against a young girl whose photo holding a dog at an adoption drive is now making the rounds on social media.
Muslims in Malaysia are not allowed to touch dogs, “which are considered ‘haram’ [sinful] in Islam.” The picture of the girl outraged the Badan Bertindak Jaringan Muslimin Pulau Pinang (JMPP) organization. Mohamed Hafiz Mohamed Nordin, the head of the organization, is pushing the Penang State Religious Department (JAIPP) “to take appropriate action against the young girl.”
In July 2013, The Malay Mail Online explained why a video on Facebook of a man with his three dogs ignited outrage among the nation’s Muslims:
The main sensitive issue relating to the dog is the question of purity. The four main school of laws [sic] differs on the question of purity of the dog. Some scholars mainly in Shafi’i and Hanbali schools of laws, believe that dogs are impure. Therefore, if a person touches a dog or licked by a dog, he has to wash that portion of the body or clothing before prayer.
The Maliki school of law does not consider dogs impure at all. Hanafi school of law regards the saliva of dogs to be impure. Therefore, only the part of body or clothing that the dog’s saliva touched needs to be washed and purified before prayer.
Majority of Muslims in Malaysia follow Shafi’i school of law. They may regard dog as impure or najis, which is in fact washable. At the same time, they must respect other opinions in other school of laws that consider dogs as pure.
In October 2014, Syed Azmi Alhabshi organized the “I Want to Touch a Dog” event to allow Muslims “to become familiar with the animals.” More conservative Muslims want all Muslims to completely avoid the animal, but moderate Muslims believe people should avoid touching the nose and mouth, “which are considered especially impure.” Even though over 1,000 people attended the event, Alhabshi received numerous death threats online over his event. People spread his telephone number while others claimed “he is a Christian in disguise.”
The group Perkasa claimed people indulging in vices, such as “alcohol and dog-petting festivals,” were responsible for tornadoes in the country.
“What has caused tornadoes to be interested in coming to this country when all this while it has never been interested to do so,” the group posted on Facebook. “In the past, we only hear of it hitting the South China Sea and even if it does hit, it would be to Vietnam or the Philippines. Could it have something to do with the widespread vice, such as gambling centres, prostitution, beer and dog-petting festivals which have become an attraction?”
Facebook users completely agreed with the group’s assessment about the weather.
“When vice is widespread, then Allah will unleash his wrath,” wrote Mohd Azizan Ismail. “When Islam is toyed by those who claim to be champions of the religion, then the disasters will be greater.”

A reasonable person wouldn't bake you a cake either. But, that would be homophobic wouldn't it.

Hi Danno! Another awesome thread here!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't really see an issue here other than the death threats from the hard core religious.. Religions can have whatever crazy views they want. I do object to a church having any ability to punish a person other than in the confines of the religion (ie: kicking them out as the harshest penalty). Calls for punishment for violating views of a religion (and the fact that there is a "state religion department") is repugnant to me.. But on the whole it is good to see stories of moderates challenging the views of hardliners.

.. and good to know I should not bring up ideas I had while spooning with my Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound in mixed company :P

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

You getting weak in the knees?

getting?! (L) (L) (L) (L)

I don't really see an issue here other than the death threats from the hard core religious.. Religions can have whatever crazy views they want. I do object to a church having any ability to punish a person other than in the confines of the religion (ie: kicking them out as the harshest penalty). Calls for punishment for violating views of a religion (and the fact that there is a "state religion department") is repugnant to me.. But on the whole it is good to see stories of moderates challenging the views of hardliners.

.. and good to know I should not bring up ideas I had while spooning with my Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound in mixed company :P

who's going to stick up for bo?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

who's going to stick up for bo?

I don't come here enough to know who/what/where bo is ;P

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect