npson

Baby Born in US to British Citizens

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a British Citizen (Permanent Resident - Green Card) and my wife (US citizen by birth and also holds a British Passport) are expecting our first child.

We are trying to work out how to get our newborn baby his British passport as he will be born here in the US. The process seems a little confusing?

1. Would I be right in saying we go through the process via the following link: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports - Overseas British passport applications? If yes, as I go through answering the questions, I come across "Which country were you born", this sounds silly but is it asking where I was born or where our baby is born?

2. Once I get through the initial questions, (I selected USA in response to "Which country were you born" as I based it on my son's place of birth). I am redirected to an online application portal page via the gov.uk page for British Nationals. Have I been redirected to the correct place?

3. If I am correct in 1 and 2, what documents do my wife and I need to provide? Is it easier just to note my wife as a US citizen even though she is a British Citizen too?

Sorry for all the specific questions but want to make sure I am following the correct process.

Much appreciated!!

Hey, my son is a dual US/UK citizen. He was born in the UK but I applied for his UK passport via the online site you linked above. At the end of the application it will list all the documents you need to provide to the UK Passport Agency. As long as you have current UK passports and note their numbers on the application you wont have to send your passport to the UK.

Also, the country question refers to the applicant, being your child.

Hope that helps.

h3aDm4.png

ZfQlm4.png

ut7Km8.png

iqv4m8.png

K-1: NOA1 to Visa Approval - 8 MONTHS, 19 DAYS

AOS: NOA1 to Green Card Approval - 3 MONTHS, 16 DAYS

ROC:  - NOA1: January 16, 2018; Case Received at Local Office: January 5, 2019;...

Citizenship:  - In Progress Estimated Completion Time: July 2020 (18 Months)

The baby is applying for a passport so answer from the baby's point of view. Born in USA.

There is a link to documents required https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342794/Supportingdocs1AUG2014.PDF

See the green check marks for the baby (photos, birth certificate, etc and the note to see Table B if he was born outside the UK. That tells you the full birth certificate of one of the baby's parents (you). That is presumably to confirm you were born British, so baby too is born British and qualifies.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Racheal&David / Nich-Nick, thank you for all the helpful posts!

Nich-Nick - I took a quick look at the link to the PDF document for supporting documents. As my son will be born in the US, I will need to provide items from Table B. If I have understood correctly, do I (FATHER) only need to provide a copy of my birth certificate? It mentions showing both the child's and parents' details - I am assuming they are referring to me as the child in this instance given it is my birth certificate?

I do not recall my parent's names being on my birth certificate but will have to check? (I was born in the UK).

Number 2 does not seem to apply as my son is due to arrive next month i.e. born after 1 July 2006.

Appreciate your advice.

Extract from Table B:

1. one of your parents’ full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
  2. if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).

Much appreciated!

Extract from Table B:

• one of your parents full birth certificate (showing both the childs and parents details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
  • if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).

Your birth certificate to show you are British and can thus pass it on to the baby.

Your birth certificate must have your parent's names on it. You could not have immigrated without that kind of birth certificate.

(guessing) Prior to that 2006 date, there were other rules in effect when children were born out of wedlock. Your baby does not fall under the old rules concerning paternity.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Your birth certificate to show you are British and can thus pass it on to the baby.

Your birth certificate must have your parent's names on it. You could not have immigrated without that kind of birth certificate.

(guessing) Prior to that 2006 date, there were other rules in effect when children were born out of wedlock. Your baby does not fall under the old rules concerning paternity.

Sort of have a question about this. If you come to U.S. and get your GC and later decide to become a citizen someone said that England/UK was one of the places that would allow you to maintain your citizenship with them as well and have a dual citizenship. Do you guys know if that holds true and that you can do that?

Oh and congrats on the new baby!! :dancing::goofy:

Sort of have a question about this. If you come to U.S. and get your GC and later decide to become a citizen someone said that England/UK was one of the places that would allow you to maintain your citizenship with them as well and have a dual citizenship. Do you guys know if that holds true and that you can do that?

Oh and congrats on the new baby!! :dancing::goofy:

My husband holds two passports--British and American. Yes, you can do that.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Yes. Both countries just require that you present yourself as a citizen of that nation when entering and while in the country (so you have to present a UK passport when flying into the UK and a US passport when flying into the US).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

I don't think the UK cares which passport you use to enter. The US will only recognize you as American. They don't care if you have a British passport, but don't ever use it in the US.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Ok great! I just think that might be his best option later on. Just in case, so that he can stay even if , hopefully not, something were to ever happen to me. Plus without all the hassle of renewing the GC each time. But he wanted to make sure he could keep his English one. Thanks for all the help. As always

Ok great! I just think that might be his best option later on. Just in case, so that he can stay even if , hopefully not, something were to ever happen to me. Plus without all the hassle of renewing the GC each time. But he wanted to make sure he could keep his English one. Thanks for all the help. As always

Once he gets a greencard, he can stay with or without you as well as become a citizen.

The advantage of citizenship is he can go live in the UK for years then just move back to the US at will without going through immigration again. A greencard has limitations on moving away from the US and taking up residence in another country. You can lose permanent resident status if you don't remain resident in the US.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Oh ok, I just thought with GC he still needed me etc.. I mean not that I'm planning on dying or anything soon but I like to plan ahead lol He'll Ave a daughter here and in UK too so citizenship I think will be best just so he can do either when needed without a huge hassle. You guys are like a book of knowledge. Thank you for all the info lately.

It's true so much useful and friendly knowledge!

Cheeky Monkeys - as the group have mentioned, you will be absolutely fine to travel alone with just a green-card as long you have your british passport to go along side it (in the absence of not having a U.S. passport) of course!

The other benefit of having a british passport aside from the key things is avoiding the long queues at terminal 5 as you can just tap it on the electronic security gates!

Nich-Nick - per my earlier post. I did check my birth certificate by looking through my greencard application paperwork - fond memories!!!!

My original birth certificate was not in the US required format (parents names). I now recall having to request one through:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#GettingStarted

Useful link for anyone else that might need it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.