Janelle2002

Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

16 posts in this topic

Texas Bill Would Make Recording Police Illegal

The Huffington Post | By Andy Campbell
pin_icon_onhover.pngn-JASON-VILLALBA-large.jpgRep. Jason Villalba, R-Dallas, holds a sonogram showing his unborn son during final remarks before a provisonal vote on HB 2, an abortion bill,Tuesday, July 9, 2013, in Austin, Texas. A final, formal vote is scheduled for Wednesday. The bill, which passed, would require doctors to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals, only allow abortions in surgical centers, dictate when abortion pills are taken and ban abortions after 20 weeks. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

A bill introduced to the Texas House of Representatives would make it illegal for private citizens to record police within 25 feet.

House Bill 2918, introduced by Texas Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) on Tuesday, would make the offense a misdemeanor. Citizens who are armed would not be permitted to record police activity within 100 feet of an officer, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Only representatives of radio or TV organizations that hold an FCC license, newspapers and magazines would have the right to record police.

The legislator disagreed with people on Twitter who said he's seeking to make all filming of cops illegal.

"My bill ... just asks filmers to stand back a little so as not to interfere with law enforcement," Villalba tweeted.

The bill would go against precedent set in 2011 by an appeals court, which found that citizens are allowed to record police, according to the ACLU.

Share your vote on Facebook so your friends can take this poll

Villalba's bill comes at a time of increased public scrutiny over the police killings of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and others. In Garner's case, a grand jury didn't indict the police officer who put Garner in a chokehold before his death, but another grand jury did indict the man who filmed the incident on weapons charges.

Last year, HuffPost reporter Ryan J. Reilly and another reporter were detained and assaulted while attempting to film a swarm of police officers filling up a McDonald's in Ferguson, Missouri, the town where Brown was killed. That filming, as well as other recordings of police interactions by the public, are currently legal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/bill-recording-police-illegal_n_6861444.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Basically, step back as far as you can so your recording will not be clear. Thank you.

In Garner's case, a grand jury didn't indict the police officer who put Garner in a chokehold before his death, but another grand jury did indict the man who filmed the incident on weapons charges.

this says so much.

Never Gonna Happen In Texas

State respect Rights Of the Citizens

We can also record phone calls without caller consent......

yeah, apparently you didn't read all the texas/abortion nonsense. texas respects the rights of some citizens. certainly not all.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

yeah, apparently you didn't read all the texas/abortion nonsense. texas respects the rights of some citizens. certainly not all.

Are you Pregnant?

I don't watch much TV. Just a FYI. Texas is conservative state, and a Republican state, We don't allow Gay Marriage, and tend to be God Fearing state.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Oh yeah... They want government out of their lives but welcome it into the lives of everyone else.

The laughable irony is that you'd think the great state of Texas has no other pressing issue with which to deal other than to try and restrict the civil rights of those who live there....

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Are you Pregnant?

I don't watch much TV. Just a FYI. Texas is conservative state, and a Republican state, We don't allow Gay Marriage, and tend to be God Fearing state.

why are you asking me if i'm pregnant?

i know texas. and i'm gonna let you in on a little secret - texas has plenty of liberals. plenty of homosexuals/trans/bi/etc and plenty of godless voters.

and good, tv is bad for you.

Are you Pregnant?

How is it working out in Texas for you with a foreign wife?

Most conservative people don't believe in interracial relationships.

they're normally ok with it as long as the yoke is explicitly unequal.

you know, same as when it was ok for slave owners to have fun with the help.

ETA i'm not referrencing vol or his wife - i don't know them. i'm talking about conservatives with racist leanings ETA

Edited by val erie

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Are you kidding? Forget interracial! Rumor has In TX they frown at any type of marriage other than interfamilial!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Are you kidding? Forget interracial! Rumor has In TX they frown at any type of marriage other than interfamilial!

Now come on, you've easily confused Texas with Alabama, again. Please, I beg of you, stop that..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

i know texas. and i'm gonna let you in on a little secret - texas has plenty of liberals. plenty of homosexuals/trans/bi/etc and plenty of godless voters.

Yea, and that place is called Austin Texas, Not much like the rest of Texas..

Timeline

I live North of Dallas, progressive city and I am probably too old for anyone to say something negative toward me.

If I was living in East Texas and maybe younger, I am sure I would hear some comments about my wife

Yea, and that place is called Austin Texas, Not much like the rest of Texas..

i don't mean to alarm you but austin has a few leaks. progressiveness has this way of spreading. texas is a tough nut to crack, but it will happen.