rlogan

72,000 displaced as fighting continues on Mindanao?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So the local rumor mills have the US droning from Palawan? I would think that media could get some eyes on photos if true.

From Palawan? I have not heard that. I would suspect Davao area, I have been inside the PNP head office near the airport in Davao a few times. I have seen the military training there, I have never seen a US military in uniform there.

When I was in Palawan in January, not once did I ever see an American soldier.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Timeline

When I was in Palawan in January, not once did I ever see an American soldier.

If they have presence in Palawan, I would bet it would on the southern part of Palawan. Much closer to Maylasia.

How did you find Palawan?

My fiance wanted to take me to Palawan to experience the beauty of the island. She is from the Davao area. Anyway, I found Palawan to be fantastic in beauty and people. Truly loved the scenery there and can understand why the island is rated as the most beautiful island in the world. We were mainly in Peurto Princesea and wanted badly to visit El Nido, but was unable due to time constraints. So we visited the underground river-very nice....and got to meet Gary Valenciano the famous singer there who was also touring the underground river that day. The other place we went to was Honda Bay and toured around the islands there. The whole place from Baker's Hill to Underground river was very nice and highly recommend it to anyone. Like always, be careful...I believe there were kidnappings there several years back.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Probably should not perpetuate the Palawan connection rumor any more than I have already have. I mistakenly put 2+2 = 5 from either a previous post or one of the articles cited.

Anyway if there is US presence aiding the Aquino government, either military or CIA they certainly would not flaunt their presence by wearing a uniform. No way could you tell them apart from a casual visitor other than their length of stay.

Just my opinion though.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Not sure if this was posted....goes along with the other articles posted. This is from the International Committee of the Red Cross on March 4. https://www.icrc.org/en/document/philippines-thousands-flee-fighting-central-mindanao#.VQg7JY7F8dUdoesn't say much, but does confirm that people are fleeing for safety.

Timeline

My fiance wanted to take me to Palawan to experience the beauty of the island. She is from the Davao area. Anyway, I found Palawan to be fantastic in beauty and people. Truly loved the scenery there and can understand why the island is rated as the most beautiful island in the world. We were mainly in Peurto Princesea and wanted badly to visit El Nido, but was unable due to time constraints. So we visited the underground river-very nice....and got to meet Gary Valenciano the famous singer there who was also touring the underground river that day. The other place we went to was Honda Bay and toured around the islands there. The whole place from Baker's Hill to Underground river was very nice and highly recommend it to anyone. Like always, be careful...I believe there were kidnappings there several years back.

I have done the Honda Bay, I have stayed at Sheridan Hotel a few times, It has the best beach and it is white sand with nice waves, I have yet to find a better beach. I have never made it to Coron or El Nido, but I always get to Sabang area and never can force myself to leave. So far it is by far my favorite place to hang out with a loved one......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Palawan military upgrades for US ships and air forces are not a rumor. It has been public news for years. A simple google search turns up plenty of information and there are even youtube videos -

But this all has to do with the seven countries who have claims in the South China Sea. The U.S. is pretending it is only China vs. the Philippines because the US is obsessed with "containing China". It is very unhelpful to conceal the role of Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, and Taiwan in order to frame this as all about China.

This is a CIA map illustrating the issue there:

800px-Schina_sea_88.png

There are both naval and air facilities being upgraded on Palawan in order to receive US Naval ships and US aircraft. This is all part of what the US calls the "Asian Pivot". I already mentioned the big US spy plane which is flying out of Clark Airbase on Luzon in support of this mission, that is all very public news.

I've been all over Palawan - Puerto Princessa, El Nido, and everything in between. Fished amongst those amazing oyster farms on the west coast and went to that stupid cave on the underground river. We are not into crowded tourist-as-cattle operations and are more into the science of geology instead of the superficial "that looks like mother Mary, that looks like a Walmart toy, etc.

We camped on an Island outside of El Nido that one of the tour companies was jealous about so they told us some tourists had just been kidnapped by Abu Sayyef on that very morning nearby. They had just stopped ashore to have their customers watch the sunset and their tour guide didn't like the fact we were camping despite it being none of her business. It pretty much ruined our experience there, and caused some kind of uproar in the local tourism council because the next morning a boat was sent out specifically to explain to us it was a lie, but also provide us with firearms in order to make us feel safer. We already knew about tourism kidnappings in the south of Palawan which is why we were doing island camping in the far north with our infant son. You can imagine what that did to us, and then becoming part of some stupid tourist war soured us on El Nido.

Interesting how this post bounces back and forth from on to off topic. Hope the mods don't move it.

Later this year, NVC willing, once my wife has the CR1 visa and daughter CR2, we hope o make one last fling through the PI. Intentions now, subject to change, is to do the Banaue tour and also Palawan. We're thinking that 4 days will be enough for the north route and about a week at Palawan.

For those that have been and posted about Palawan, What are the must see, place to stay, during a one week sojourn there?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Nice map, I remember reading how the Philippines is allowing the US military back in. Didn't realize it would be in Palawan, knew about Luzon though. Didn't the international court shoot down Chinese claims of the Spartly islands and the claim line?

Timeline

Nice map, I remember reading how the Philippines is allowing the US military back in. Didn't realize it would be in Palawan, knew about Luzon though. Didn't the international court shoot down Chinese claims of the Spartly islands and the claim line?

I am sure US has always had military in Philippines. Yes they are opening some of the bases and bringing military back in.

I can promise you if China came rolling into Manila Bay you would see how much military the US has in Philippines

Timeline

I am not aware of some kind of international "court" ruling on the Spratlys. Many analysts say the Chinese claims are not valid, but likewise for other countries too. None of them have had permanent possession. The ASEAN countries have been dealing with this, and have negotiated some kind of "code of conduct".

Estimated to be at 120,000 now. http://www.journal.com.ph/news/top-stories/120-000-flee-mindanao-violence-un-agency

Edited by coa24

Timeline

Thanks for posting that article.

But he acknowledged, “the estimated number of displaced could be higher, since it does not include people hosted by relatives and friends.”

Baloch also warned that the numbers were “expected to grow as the fighting extends to the local communities ... already hosting many of the displaced.”

This is an area with a lot of small towns/villages over a large area. This doesn't make sense - to negotiate that peace agreement for an independent state, then go in there with a massive military assault.

Now more on the key US role in the initial deadly disaster is being revealed too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-had-role-in-deadly-counterterrorism-raid-in-philippines/2015/03/17/6ab42816-ccd6-11e4-8a46-b1dc9be5a8ff_story.html

All we can know for sure is that they are not going to be honest about the full extent of US involvement, but it was at the training, planning, and operational levels including the command center itself.

If anyone has an hour or so, I suggest you read the PNP Board of Inquiry's report on the SAF-MILF/BIFF clash.

http://pnp.gov.ph/portal/images/boimamasapano/boi_final.pdf

Quite a few eye opening parts, like the one SAF commando from the 55th SAC who was the lone survivor; the extent of bungling by the PNP higher ups upto and including failing to coordinate with the AFP, or not embedding Forward Observers when their plan called for artillery should they come into prolonged contact with hostiles.

The report is quite open with the extent of US involvement. It admits the US personnel presence at the Command Post, the availability of intel assets, MEDEVAC, and quite possibly drones (the report stated US intel helped the 84th SAC avoid groups of hostiles on their way into the target area).

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.