Tisa

Urgent ! Help needed with tax forms for self employed petitioner !!!

84 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You might want to try having your fiancé ask his employer's accountant to just give him a screenshot of all payments made to him throughout the year. It's a small company and if they use QuickBooks or any similar software they could print it out very easily. They may be more willing to do that than the 1099 (or probably w2) that they should be giving him. Then your fiancé will have the exact amount he made and needs to report to the IRS.

Thank you for this idea. We will try that.

Timeline

Ok that's very well then. I hope your fiance has his pay stubs, especially his last one of the year, because they will be very helpful.

Have your fiance call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS will ask for all his information, the employer's information, dates of employment, the year to date wages paid, and how much Federal Income Tax was withheld for the year. The IRS will then send a letter to the employer requesting that the employer provide a W-2 to him. If the employer does not, the IRS will issue a W-2 based on the information provided that I mentioned previously, and he can then use that form to file his taxes.

Thank you ! That's a great advice. We will do that

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

He needs to contact the IRS. At best he should have been given a 1099 as an independent contractor in which case he will owe a boat load of money in taxes since he has to pay federal income tax, state income tax (if applicable), and social security tax. At worst he should have been given a W-2 which shows how much he made and what was withheld. Sounds like his employer is trying to avoid paying the employers share of taxes by not documenting the petitioner's income. There are very specific guidelines as to whether a person qualifies as an independent contractor or not, hence the current lawsuit of FedEx workers against the company.

An accountant won't be much help until they determine which category of employee he is. They also need to know what amount, if any, of taxes were paid by the employer.

Totally off the subject, as a server you are required to report your tips made daily to your employer. If you don't, or if the amount is not sufficient, the employer "allocates" a tip amount. This is all shown on the W-2.

Timeline

If I understand it correctly, your fiance could not file taxes just for 2014 but did so for the previous years? If so, just talk to a CPA about filing taxes.

Whether he is self employed or not is really not up to the employer. The IRS has a specific set of rules about who is self employed or not. The CPA

can help go through them. Worst case, if the employer is screwing him over, he can choose to be a whistle blower to the IRS and get a cut of what

they collect. For such cases, best to more to a new employer before this happens.

What so you mean by "be a whistle blower to the IRS and get a cut of what they collect?

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What so you mean by "be a whistle blower to the IRS and get a cut of what they collect?

If the employer is engaging in non-payment of taxes, intentionally misclassifying workers, and other dubious shenanigans, you can tip off the IRS who can use that information to audit him,and if they find him in violation there's apparently some sort of reward system.

The IRS are not known for their good humor regarding such things.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

If the employer is engaging in non-payment of taxes, intentionally misclassifying workers, and other dubious shenanigans, you can tip off the IRS who can use that information to audit him,and if they find him in violation there's apparently some sort of reward system.

The IRS are not known for their good humor regarding such things.

Oh I understand. Could my fiancé get audited as well ? I mean he wants to file his taxes now even without any paperwork from his boss so I don't think he's doing some thing wrong. Or am I mistaken ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh I understand. Could my fiancé get audited as well ? I mean he wants to file his taxes now even without any paperwork from his boss so I don't think he's doing some thing wrong. Or am I mistaken ?

The IRS can always audit someone, however if he's paid his taxes in the past and hasn't filed his 2014 taxes yet that's ok, because they're not due until April, and I believe he can request and extension on that date if necessary, but he would need to contact and be granted said extension.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Timeline

The IRS can always audit someone, however if he's paid his taxes in the past and hasn't filed his 2014 taxes yet that's ok, because they're not due until April, and I believe he can request and extension on that date if necessary, but he would need to contact and be granted said extension.

Thank you for the information it's greatly appreciated

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.