Tisa

Urgent ! Help needed with tax forms for self employed petitioner !!!

84 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Because as an independent contractor he needs a 1099. Jesus. .

*Independent contractor income

If you are a worker earning a salary or wage, your employer reports your annual earnings at year-end on Form W-2. However, if you are an independent contractor or self-employed you will receive a Form 1099-MISC from each client that pays you at least $600 during the tax year.

For example, if you are a freelance writer, consultant or artist, you hire yourself out to individuals or companies on a contract basis. The income you receive from each job you take should be reported to you on Form 1099-MISC. When you prepare your tax return, the IRS requires you to report all of this income and pay income tax on it.*

Negative

There are many people who run business and they never get 1099. Only time you might get a 1099 if you do a job for a company and they request your W9 and the job is over 600.

Many people have service companies and only deal direct with homeowners and never see a 1099.

Please stop giving out information that you are not aware of, you will only lead the OP in the wrong direction.........

you happen to be the blind one. I was right. He needs a 1099 from his boss. He probably should be considered a W2 employee but considering his boss' stance, that is not happening. So a 1099 it is. It hurts to be wrong, doesn't, it?

Wrong

Please stop giving out incorrect information..........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Negative

There are many people who run business and they never get 1099. Only time you might get a 1099 if you do a job for a company and they request your W9 and the job is over 600.

Many people have service companies and only deal direct with homeowners and never see a 1099.

Please stop giving out information that you are not aware of, you will only lead the OP in the wrong direction.........

Wrong

Please stop giving out incorrect information..........

Is he a service company? No. Does he make more than $600? Yes.

Timeline

Blind leading the blind

He should go see a CPA.

:thumbs:

CPA is best for someone who is self employed they are able to keep up with the latest deduction and rules regarding being self employed

Is he a service company? No. Does he make more than $600? Yes.

What if he has multiply clients and he teaches there and they pay him?

No 1099's..........

Timeline

CPA is best for someone who is self employed they are able to keep up with the latest deduction and rules regarding being self employed

No 1099's..........

Has he indicated he has multiple clients that pay him? No.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Regardless of the visa situation and I-134, he is required to file taxes assuming his income is over a certain amount (which I'm sure it is if he's supporting himself). He could get into trouble with the IRS down the road if he doesn't file a tax return.

The gym owner sounds pretty shady. I don't know why he would have a problem giving a 1099 to your fiance though. I assume the owner is the one paying your fiance? And it isn't the client/customer that is paying your fiance directly?

I agree he does sound shady and it makes me mad :( the gym owner pays my fiancé and not the clients. But the owner is stating he won't give him any kind of paperwork :( I can't believe this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Because as an independent contractor he needs a 1099. Jesus. .

*Independent contractor income

If you are a worker earning a salary or wage, your employer reports your annual earnings at year-end on Form W-2. However, if you are an independent contractor or self-employed you will receive a Form 1099-MISC from each client that pays you at least $600 during the tax year.

For example, if you are a freelance writer, consultant or artist, you hire yourself out to individuals or companies on a contract basis. The income you receive from each job you take should be reported to you on Form 1099-MISC. When you prepare your tax return, the IRS requires you to report all of this income and pay income tax on it.*

He doesn't NEED a 1099. He should, but if the gym owner does not give him the 1099, the owner is breaking the law, not him. VOL is right. The IRS does not require the income receiver to fill out the 1099-MISC, it requires the one paying for the service to do it.

Here's a lawyer's advice via Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2013/01/30/didnt-receive-a-form-1099-dont-ask/

The penalty for the filer is if s/he does not report a 1099-misc s/he receives. Since there is no 1099-misc, he would be fine. The gym owner would have a penalty though for not giving out the file. Turbotax:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/Penalties-for-Not-Filing-a-1099-Misc-IRS-Form/INF19313.html

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

No 1099's..........

well there you have it. You and your wild scenarios. It is VERY obvious what was happening. The OP just verified it. He needs a 1099. Period. If he had described his business in any other way, it would make sense to "speculate" but please get real.

He doesn't NEED a 1099. He should, but if the gym owner does not give him the 1099, the owner is breaking the law, not him. VOL is right. The IRS does not require the income receiver to fill out the 1099-MISC, it requires the one paying for the service to do it.

Here's a lawyer's advice via Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2013/01/30/didnt-receive-a-form-1099-dont-ask/

The penalty for the filer is if s/he does not report a 1099-misc s/he receives. Since there is no 1099-misc, he would be fine. The gym owner would have a penalty though for not giving out the file. Turbotax:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Small-Business-Taxes/Penalties-for-Not-Filing-a-1099-Misc-IRS-Form/INF19313.html

Of course he doesn't have to receive one but one should make attempts to get one from the employer. The consequences of not receiving one and filing taxes were beyond the scope of the OP's post. I when I said he needs a 1099 I meant to say his boss should give him one.

Edited by ascertainLovE

Timeline

I agree he does sound shady and it makes me mad :( the gym owner pays my fiancé and not the clients. But the owner is stating he won't give him any kind of paperwork :( I can't believe this

It doesn't matter if he gets a 1099 or W2 or he gets nothing, He needs to file what he made for the year.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Timeline

Strongly suggest you follow this advice op.

Thank you ?

It doesn't matter if he gets a 1099 or W2 or he gets nothing, He needs to file what he made for the year.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Maybe because everyone says something different and I'm very confused. Like I said I don't mean to come off stupid i am just trying to do the right thing

Why dosnt your fiancé use this website and explain everything instead of you.

There is no point in you trying to get information for something you know nothing about and cannot help with.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

Why dosnt your fiancé use this website and explain everything instead of you.

There is no point in you trying to get information for something you know nothing about and cannot help with.

Because I talk to my Fiance and all I post here is everything that him and me know. He doesn't know any more than me. Besides that he simply doesn't have the time because he is working all day long. I don't understand why I have to explain myself to you for me posting here instead of him.

Because I talk to my Fiance and all I post here is everything that him and me know. He doesn't know any more than me. Besides that he simply doesn't have the time because he is working all day long. I don't understand why I have to explain myself to you for me posting here instead of him.

It was a suggestion nothing to get offended over.

It's his job, he deals with his boss, he probably would be able to explain more things than you can.

Don't jump down people's throats for just trying to help.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Timeline

Before asking a CPA for help, I would suggest asking a family member or friend if they know anyone tax preparer/professional that could assist you in this matter. For your income level and scope of business -- based on what you have said here -- a CPA may be too costly for your needs. The difference could be between $50 to $1,000 in cost, depending on where you are located and who you ask. Get a recommendation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc154.html This tells you exactly what to do so he will receive his W-2 or 1099 as appropriate. No need to guess or speculate as to whether he is an employee or independent contractor. If the employer paid him the employer is required to provide him with documentation of what he was paid and what taxes were withheld.

Edited by belinda63

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.