clairegie

So I tried to drive....

27 posts in this topic

I hate driving, and it took me about a month.

In Arkansas, you need to go do a theory test and then wait at least 30 days before you take the practical, so during that time, my husband would take me to an abandoned parking lot and I would drive there; it helped me feel ok about accelerating and practising to park etc. I passed with flying colours!

Of course, it probably also helped that when I went for the practical test, the teenager before me crashed his mom's car during the test with the state trooper in the passenger seat (not totalled, but a visible dent, he took a bend too quickly and drive into a mailbox). So when the trooper and I went out to my car, he said: "I make you a deal- you don;t kill us both, and I pass you!"

I have found out you can get a waiver for that from the state police in Arkansas

I'm worried about this too! In Texas, I'm not going to be able to get around anywhere until I pass my test so I need to get it done fast! Does anyone know if there are any rules around how much time has to pass between taking the theory and practical test in Texas?

I-130 petition mailed (DCF) - Feb 6, 2015

NOA1 received - Feb 10, 2015

RFE received - Mar 13, 2015

RFE reply sent - Mar 14, 2015

NOA2 received - Mar 20, 2015

LND Number received - April 8, 2015

Booked medical - April 9, 2015

Packet 3 returned - April 11, 2015

Medical - April 20, 2015

Packet 4 received - April 29, 2015

Interview - May 29, 2015: APPROVED!

POE Dallas Fort Worth - June 10, 2015

Moved from Lake Texoma to Austin, TX - June 29, 2015

Got TX Drivers License - July 9, 2015

I'm worried about this too! In Texas, I'm not going to be able to get around anywhere until I pass my test so I need to get it done fast! Does anyone know if there are any rules around how much time has to pass between taking the theory and practical test in Texas?

No rules, but may be a scheduling problem that holds you back.

My husband took the computer test and they wrote out his paper "learner's permit". Then the state trooper came up and said "do you want to do the driving test right now? I have time." He did and got his license all in one day. It was a small office in a small town.

Many places have you make an appointment and they can be booked up quite a bit into the future.

He also drove on his UK license until he got the TX license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I made my husband my in-laws scared to when they taught me. I had my driver's permit around January last year but only got to really practice around October and November and got my driver's license before my permit expired. I know how you feel, I'm short too and I really had to scoot the seat forward and raise it up since the car I practiced in and the car we have now have deep seats.

K1 Visa Timeline

• xx-xx-2005 - Met in an online creative writing forum for anime (Yes, we are nerds. Awesome ones, at that.) Became friends ever since and chatted mostly on YM. Our characters' names were Kumi and Drake.
  • 11-20-2011 - We became a couple.
  • 05-16-2012 to 05-25-2012 - First visit
  • 11-08-2012 - NOA1
  • 12-11-2012 to 12-18-2012 - Second visit
  • 05-08-2013 - NOA2
  • 06-13-2013 to 06-14-2013 - Two-day medical exam; passed!
  • 07-19-2013 - He visits again to be with me for the interview
  • 07-22-2013 - Interview date / APPROVED!
  • 08-01-2013 - Seattle POE
  • 08-02-2013 - Arrived in MO.
  • 09-01-2013 - Married!

AOS Timeline

• 10-01-2013- Sent AOS/EAD/AP in.
  • 10-10-2013 - NOA1 Date
  • 11-05-2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 12-05-2013 - EAD/AP: approved
  • 12-17-2013 - Combo card received
  • 01-10-2014 - Notice of Potential Interview Waiver case
  • 01-24-2014 - Card production
  • 01-29-2014 - Card mailed
  • 01-31-2014 - Permanent Residency Card received
  • 05-05-2014 - Job offer

ROC TImeline

• 10-26-2015- Second Anniversary of Permanent Residency
  • 11-03-2015 - Sent I-751 application
  • 11-05-2015 - NOA1 Receipt Date
  • 12-04-2015 - Biometrics Appointment
  • 05-18-2016 - Card production

Did you drive in your home country? Learning from scratch is hard for anyone, even at home.

I would suggest you get behind the wheel as often as possible (with a teacher) and PRACTICE.

It's like learning how to ride a bicycle, once you get going it gets easier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

*shrugs* I went out for a few times with an instructor and then did a few of the 6-8 hours weekly drives my parents went on. I had no problems passing a road test in New York, but then again, I would have never ever blown through a stop sign and even now after 12 years of driving am overly cautious and defensive.

If you are finding that you are frightening the person teaching you and you are not a stickler for the road rules, it is probably best to get a professional instructor and take it more seriously. Don't be a stereotype.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Last weekend, my husband let me get behind the wheel to park our car. I have never seen him so scared for his life. I honestly don't think I did bad haha. I wasn't even scared. A little problem was that I'm short so its hard to reach the pedals lol. How long did it take for you guys to learn to drive?

Went out on a jaunt yesterday, ran across a go cart racing track venue. Thought of you, and wanted to suggest:

Go to a go cart track !!! Spend an hour session , repeat, until you feel comfortable driving a go-cart. then try the car again.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

My wife will need to learn to drive too, and I will be looking for driving schools pretty soon. The schools that I have seen are very expensive. For example, 30 hours of classroom costs $125 which was a good price, but the driving lessons cost around $75 per hour! Has anyone found cheaper schools? $75 per hour was for a private lesson with free pickup and dropoff.

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

• 3 months later...

I had my Philippines license since 2001. It will be my 2nd year here in US this August. When I arrived here August 2013, I was so bored of not be able to go out and drive, pretty much very dependent to my husband. I'm very independent and I worked out of the country so I am not used to just sitting in the house and not be able to drive anytime I want.

So I started reading about how to drive here in US. What I love about WA State State Licensing, you can have a practice written test online and whenever you feel ready to take the actual written exam, you just go there and take it. But it took a while for me to take the actual driving test, I'm a little intimidated driving in freeway. It took me 6 months before I decided to take the actual driving test. As soon I had my license I took my phone, use the GPS and drove by myself and took the freeway. I had sweaty hands at first, however you will never know how it feels like not until you try driving. If you are confident enough to drive, it's better to drive now rather get stuck in the house and can't go anywhere. :dance:

Now my husband appreciates that I'm driving, whenever he go out of town, he can rely on my dropping him in the airport. He knows I won't be bored anymore, I can go anytime to shop :D . We also enjoy RV'ing and I was also able to drive it!

It's all about self-confidence, presence of mind, defensive driving and don't trust other driving about their driving (always be cautious) but not overly that you will you will have anxiety attack :help: . Just relax and enjoy driving. You won't regret it :yes: .

N-400 (Online - Seattle Field Office)

(00days) 2018-10-01 Filed ONLINE - received Payment Confirmation the same day - paid by Credit Card

(04days) 2018-10-05 Received NOA by mail

(05days) 2018-10-06 Received email - Biometrics appointment is scheduled

(09days) 2018-10-10 Check my online account and my Biotmetrics Notification is attached and available

(11days) 2018-10-12 Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed - Walk-in no problem; saved 2 weeks (Original appointment date is Oct. 26)

(436days) 2019-12-11 I am US Citizen now!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Last weekend, my husband let me get behind the wheel to park our car. I have never seen him so scared for his life. I honestly don't think I did bad haha. I wasn't even scared. A little problem was that I'm short so its hard to reach the pedals lol. How long did it take for you guys to learn to drive?

hey ! any news? what's a going on, over there ?

please check in, at least weekly, and let us know of your driving stuff...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

It didn't take long for me. I already knew how to drive back home, had my license there for 6 years. I started studying the driver manuel 3 weeks ago. And did the written test last friday and passed and I could do the road test too and passed it :) It's very easy, road test didn't take long maybe 5-7 minutes!

I know every state has different rules etc. Anways Good luck to everybody that needs to get it! Don't worry too much and just do your best, you will get it! You will enjoy driving :)

Edited by AnGeLxX

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

I can drive now! Yay! Just a little more practice on sharp turns but I think I will be ready when we drive back to California from NC next month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.