Kaorikaze

Has anyone Naturalized while in Japan? (merged)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm finally sending out my N-400 Naturalization paperwork. We're currently stationed in Japan, so I am curious how the interview portion will work. Has anyone ever naturalized while in Japan? Do they do the Interview/Oath ceremonies here or will I have to fly back to the states to do it all?

Any insight would be great! :3

Timeline

I'm double checking my N-400 paperwork, and I'm the spouse of a military member and we're stationed overseas in Japan. I know I'm eligible to naturalize overseas but how do I notify USCIS of this? Is there a specific way I do this? An extra form perhaps, or an option somewhere in the N400?

Below is the information from the USCIS website regarding Overseas Naturalization?

Overseas Naturalization for Spouses of Military Members

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 added Section 319(e) to the INA which allows certain eligible spouses of service members to naturalize abroad without traveling to the United States for any part of the naturalization process and also treats qualifying residence abroad as residence and physical presence in the U.S. for purposes of naturalization.

In general, to be eligible for naturalization abroad pursuant to section 319(e) of the INA, the permanent resident spouse of a member of the U.S. armed forces must:

• Be authorized to accompany the service member abroad pursuant to the member's official orders
  • Be residing abroad with the member in marital union
  • Meet the requirements of either Section 316(a) or 319(a) of the INA at the time of filing the naturalization application, except for the residence and physical presence requirements.

Section 319(a) applies to spouses of U.S. citizens who have been permanent residents for 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application and who have lived in marital union with their citizen spouses for at least those 3 years. Section 316(a) applies to spouses who have been permanent residents for 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application.

Source: http://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-military-personnel-family-members/citizenship-spouses-and-children-military-members

Timeline

My husband discovered an hour or so after I made my first post, that the Navy Legal offices deal with people working on their citizenship and immigration. So, I stopped by their offices a few hours ago and was promptly set on the right path. They quickly checked that I had all of my documentation and that it was correct and provided me with all of the information necessary to file for overseas naturalization.

For those curious whether or not you can naturalize in Japan. Yes! There is an office in Yokosuka, and in Okinawa. But I highly recommend that you visit your legal office before sending out your paperwork so they can help you make sure your documents are in order. This took so much guess work and anxiety out of the process. They provided me with a step by step list on what documents to include that are specific to military spouses filing from overseas. They even printed off some additional forms that I didn't know I needed that aren't part of the normal package if you aren't filing from overseas.

Even if you are just starting the process of getting a green card, go see the legal offices. So much less guess work!

Timeline

I had my questions answered by the legal office on base here in Japan. For those curious, yes they do the interview and oath ceremonies here in Japan.

There are offices in Yokosuka and on the island of Okinawa.

But if you are filing an N-400 from overseas, go see your legal office!! Trust me! I was actually missing some extra forms required for filing from overseas and had filled out Part 1 (eligibility) of the N-400 incorrectly because I wanted overseas naturalization. It took maybe 20minutes and the clerk had double checked all of my documentation and helped me fix the errors on my application.

She also told me roughly what to expect and how long the wait would be for my application, and when the next Oath ceremony would take place. The legal office clerk answered all of the questions I had; questions that the USCIS military hotline is unable to answer for you due to their not being able to give legal advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I applied for N-400 (319) b in May of this year, while i was in US and then my husband just got his orders for homeport change to YOkosuka, japan. I then, informed the USCIS military helpline and they changed my eligibility from 319(b) to 319(e) under 316(a) since i was leaving end of June with my spouse to Japan. I did do my biometrics while in US, and, just today i received an email that my N400 form was received at the Seoul field office to continue processing my naturalization and saying that i will be notified of the interview and ceremony that will be done here in YOkosuka, japan. I guess i would have been done of all the naturalization exedited process if i was still in US but because of the change then i have to wait for the date they do interview here at the base so i don't have to go to Tokyo US embassy. They do this to military spouses thougH.

So, right now i will just have to wait for any email or actual mail for the interview date.

Kaorikaze, how was your process so far? Did the USCIS gave u any instructions already? What dates/month of interview and ceremony did the legal office told you that they do in YOkosuka basa?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.