Azagarth

Wife just got Green Card, how to bring her family?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, he cannot get his green card and head right back to Argentina, he would lose his GC status. You have to be in the US for 5 continuous years before you can apply for citizenship (3 under spousal GC), he can take short trips here and there to visit of course, but he must LIVE in the US, file taxes etc...

N400

Oct 23, 2014: NOA 1

Yellow letter date: October 27, 2014

Biometrics: November 7, 2014

In line for interview: November 10, 2014

Interview scheduled! (email notification): March 23, 2014

Interview letter received: March 25th

Interview: April 24th

In line for Oath: April 27th

Oath: June 23rd

Proud to be an American!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know there is no way my father in law is leaving his new born baby for 6 years while he waits it out in the states.

Or is there a way he can just come and get his green card and then wait in Argentina until he can apply for citizenship? My assumption is that for citizenship you have to be physically present those 5 years right?

As part of green card requirements you are supposed to live and work in USA. You cannot be outside USA for longer periods in a calender year (>6 months). If you do, then you risk abandoning your green card. So in essence, he has to stay in USA for atleast 6 months and one day a year for five years and file taxes (even if you dont earn anything) for all the years to make it to citizenship. Please google "preserve permanant residency in USA".

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Someone clear me up on this please..

If you received your gc through marriage to a lpr and shortly after you get your gc your spouse takes oath and becomes a citizen. Would you be able to apply for citizenship after 3 years of your spouse being a citizen also or would it be 5 yrs in this case?

(L)Central Park Wedding (L)

I was told from a co worker that her family could all come on a visitor visa and while here the parents could start a change of status. Is that really a way to do it? I wouldnt want to do anything that is against immigration policy, but they told me its ok to do and the quickest way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can read all about it following the links.

But let us say it was possible, the parents would stay and send the children back?

Do they have tourist visas?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was told from a co worker that her family could all come on a visitor visa and while here the parents could start a change of status. Is that really a way to do it? I wouldnt want to do anything that is against immigration policy, but they told me its ok to do and the quickest way.

This could/would be considered fraud, as the intention it to stay and adjust status. A visitor visa is just for visiting, not immigrating.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

if they got a green card couldnt they then petition for their children as long as the children s visas dont expire?

They can not get a green card, they have nobody who can petition them.

The longest normally a tourist can stay is 6 months.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This is genius. Why haven't any of us thought of this. So stupid waiting for all those years.

Completely not true. If it was true, why would any of us wait decades for family reunification? We are so stupid when the answers is visitor visas.

It's not possible for them to adjust and get green cards. It's not okay. And it's not the quickest legal way.

What I wrote in my prior post is the quickest and legal way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.