Azagarth

Wife just got Green Card, how to bring her family?

39 posts in this topic

My wife just received her conditional green card last month. We are now trying to figure out how to bring her family of 5 to the states from argentina. I am a US citizen.

Can my wife start the process now, or is it better to wait 3 years until she has citizenship?

All her siblings are under 18, except for her sister who just turned 18. What do we do about her? Can she still immigrate with her family or is she separate now that she is an adult?

What is the best way to go about this? We are very confused and would like to start asap as to not waste time. I Also don't know what costs I am looking at needing to save up for. Do we have to pay like 1500 per person, or since they are coming as a family is it just one payment of 1500? Any help is appreciated!!!

Filed: Timeline

A green card holder can only file for his/ her non green card holder spouse.

So your wife has to wait for her citizenship to file for her parents and siblings. (3 years if she stays married to you)

Read this:

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/parents/bringing-parents-live-united-states-permanent-residents

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/siblings/bringing-siblings-live-united-states-permanent-residents

That said she better get her tax documents and income requirements in order since she will need to be able to support them on paper with enough income.

I-129F Mailed: Aug 16, 2013 | Interview at Embassy Jan 24, 2014

K-1 VISA IN HAND: March 6, 2014

I-485 Mailed: June 20, 2014 | NPIW: October 15, 2014 | Welcome Letter: June 23, 2015

2 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: June 26, 2015

I-751 Mailed: March 20, 2017 | Approval Letter: February 24, 2018

10 YR GREEN CARD IN HAND: March 23, 2018

N-400 Filed Online: March 20, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well parents say 4 or 5 years away, siblings so many variables, 10 plus anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 years later then she can do it. She has to file one I-130 for each person in family.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correct me if I am wrong. His wife still has to file for ROC when her conditional greencard expires, right? And when she gets the 10 yr GC after filing forROC she can then file for citizenship after 3 yrs that she gets the 10 yr. GC, it's until then that she can petition her relatives. Am I correct? Pls correct me if I am wrong. :-)

I am the beneficiary. ?

AOS timeline from K1

08-25-2014 - Mailed i485 packet via USPS

08-27-2014 - Packet delivered and signed by S. Bush

09-10-2014 - Email and txt notification received ???

09-17-2014 - Notice of Action (hard copy) received in mail dated 09/10/2014

09-17-2014 - Case Status changed from Acceptance to Initial Review

09-26-2014 - Biometrics Appointment Letter received and is scheduled on 10/06/2014 ???

10-06-2014 - Biometrics is done successfully. ???

12-01-2014 - I-797C notice (interview appointment letter) received, the uscis letter postmark is the same date

as our interview appointment date 11-25-2014 ??? U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!

12-08-2014 - Interview appointment re-scheduled on 01-09-2015 ??? RELIEVED AND GRATEFUL

12-12-2014 - Online status changed to "Testing & Interview".

01-09-2015 - Interview Appointment Date ???

01-09-2015 - AOS application APPROVED! Case Status changed to card production and Welcome Notice mailed. ???

01-15-2015 - Welcome Notice received. ???

01-16-2015 - New card was mailed ??????

01-16-2015 - Case status online updated to "card was picked up by the USPS", tracking number received.

01-17-2015 - Received notification from USCIS and USPS that the card has been delivered. But only to find out that it was not delivered in our mailbox.

01-17 to 01-19-2015 - Green Card Missing.

01-20-2015 Green Card received. The carrier found it! ??? and delivered it to us. So relieved and thankful. ???

THANK YOU VISAJOURNEY AND TO ITS MEMBERS! YOU ARE ALL PART OF OUR VISA JOURNEY. ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Correct me if I am wrong. His wife still has to file for ROC when her conditional greencard expires, right? And when she gets the 10 yr GC after filing forROC she can then file for citizenship after 3 yrs that she gets the 10 yr. GC, it's until then that she can petition her relatives. Am I correct? Pls correct me if I am wrong. :-)

hi

wrong,she is LPR even if she has a 2 year card, for citizenship, the time counts since she became a resident with her 2 year card, so if she removes conditions and she is married for at least 3 years and has been a LPR for 3 years, she can file for citizenship

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Incorrect - the three years count from "Resident since" date of the first green card, but are depending on her staying married to her husband.

-- aleful beat me to it ;)

Edited by N&S

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi

wrong,she is LPR even if she has a 2 year card, for citizenship, the time counts since she became a resident with her 2 year card, so if she removes conditions and she is married for at least 3 years and has been a LPR for 3 years, she can file for citizenship

Thank you so much for correcting me. :-)

Incorrect - the three years count from "Resident since" date of the first green card, but are depending on her staying married to her husband.

-- aleful beat me to it ;)

Thank you for the correction. :-)

I am the beneficiary. ?

AOS timeline from K1

08-25-2014 - Mailed i485 packet via USPS

08-27-2014 - Packet delivered and signed by S. Bush

09-10-2014 - Email and txt notification received ???

09-17-2014 - Notice of Action (hard copy) received in mail dated 09/10/2014

09-17-2014 - Case Status changed from Acceptance to Initial Review

09-26-2014 - Biometrics Appointment Letter received and is scheduled on 10/06/2014 ???

10-06-2014 - Biometrics is done successfully. ???

12-01-2014 - I-797C notice (interview appointment letter) received, the uscis letter postmark is the same date

as our interview appointment date 11-25-2014 ??? U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!

12-08-2014 - Interview appointment re-scheduled on 01-09-2015 ??? RELIEVED AND GRATEFUL

12-12-2014 - Online status changed to "Testing & Interview".

01-09-2015 - Interview Appointment Date ???

01-09-2015 - AOS application APPROVED! Case Status changed to card production and Welcome Notice mailed. ???

01-15-2015 - Welcome Notice received. ???

01-16-2015 - New card was mailed ??????

01-16-2015 - Case status online updated to "card was picked up by the USPS", tracking number received.

01-17-2015 - Received notification from USCIS and USPS that the card has been delivered. But only to find out that it was not delivered in our mailbox.

01-17 to 01-19-2015 - Green Card Missing.

01-20-2015 Green Card received. The carrier found it! ??? and delivered it to us. So relieved and thankful. ???

THANK YOU VISAJOURNEY AND TO ITS MEMBERS! YOU ARE ALL PART OF OUR VISA JOURNEY. ???

so basically for family members (parents and siblings) she has to be a citizen to ask for them? I have been told that LPR are able to ask for parents though immediately after getting their green card, was i misinformed?

Timeline

Who told you that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

no.

the 3 year mark is determined by the first date on the first green card, not what you said.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

small chat with other green card holders in person. Not from credible sources by any means, but it got us excited thinking that in a short time her family could be here with us. It sucks to think we have to wait 3 years to even start the process, and then what ever time it takes for them to actually get the visa.

when she applies for her parents and siblings is it the same time frame waiting on the papers, etc as when I did her papers for immigration? or do they end up waiting years to even get the visa after we have started the process?

also she is able to ask for her sister who will be 22 at that point? and will she have to for her siblings that will be 16 and 3 yrs old? or do the parents just bring them as they come over with legal residency?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

so basically for family members (parents and siblings) she has to be a citizen to ask for them? I have been told that LPR are able to ask for parents though immediately after getting their green card, was i misinformed?

yes

only USC can file for parents and siblings, and also married children

LPR can only file for spouses and unmarried children

the person or people who told you that have no clue about immigration

Timeline

small chat with other green card holders in person. Not from credible sources by any means, but it got us excited thinking that in a short time her family could be here with us. It sucks to think we have to wait 3 years to even start the process, and then what ever time it takes for them to actually get the visa.

when she applies for her parents and siblings is it the same time frame waiting on the papers, etc as when I did her papers for immigration? or do they end up waiting years to even get the visa after we have started the process?

also she is able to ask for her sister who will be 22 at that point? and will she have to for her siblings that will be 16 and 3 yrs old? or do the parents just bring them as they come over with legal residency?

Her parents do not need a visa number, so a year or so, siblings do, 15 years or so.

Presumably the parents would not leave a 7 year old anyway.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Don't forget about the EB-5 visa ! Sure, it requires money, but this is really a time vs money situation, right there !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.