Not a Tailor

Alabama Supreme Court first in nation to defy federal court gay marriage order

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Moore said he has seen some media refer to the fact that 37 states have legalized same-sex marriage. He said that's wrong.

Only three states have adopted same-sex marriage by referendum of the people, several state legislatures passed laws allowing it, and seven or eight state supreme courts and federal district orders in about 20 states have been issued to toss out bans and allow it.

State courts don't have to follow lower federal court - district and circuit - rulings, Moore said. "While their rulings may be persuasive authority, they are not controlling," he said.

Moore argues no federal court - not even the U.S. Supreme Court - has the authority to re-invent the definition of words, such as "family" and "marriage," for a state. "Those policies are domestic and left to the states," he said, citing several cases.

Source

Well, this is terrifying. Apparently state supreme courts may have the right to stomp their feet and have a temper tantrum about things they don't like and leave people like me up the proverbial poopy creek without the means by which to move out of it via manual locomotion. I didn't know 'State rights' meant the 'rights of the minority should always be determined by the will of the majority'. Because that's kind of the major stumbling block of democracy, as great as democracy is. If you let everything be determined by popular rule, well, there would be a lot of people with melanin levels that were higher than other people who were still owned by people without much pigment.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

If they are making Gay Marriage Legal, they need to make it legal for me to have more than one wife....

I DO hope you're being satirical...

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I DO hope you're being satirical...

Not at all

Many places all over the world man is allowed to have more than one wife.

Two places that I have traveled. Malaysia allows up to 4 wives, and Philippines allow as many wives as you can support.

It a shame that the US has not adopted this practice....

Timeline

Not at all

Two places that I have traveled. Malaysia allows up to 4 wives, and Philippines allow as many wives as you can support.

okay, fair enough. Why does same sex marriage mean you should be granted this right? I mean, I only get one wife, same as you, under this rule. Where is the legal precedent for someone having multiple wives included in same sex marriage?

March 13, 2014 Married!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You already can do that. In the US there is no limit to the number of times one can get married.

If they are making Gay Marriage Legal, they need to make it legal for me to have more than one wife....

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

S/he already has the right to marry more than one person.

The entire 'if this.... then that...' is a red herring. Other installments which have been debunked several times are 'if you can get married, then I should be able to marry my fern, or my dog, or my petrock'.

However, back to the OP, Alabama has a record of being on the wrong side of the law when it comes to Civil Rights and in the end they might force the SCOTUS to make a ruling and make marriage equality the same across the board.

The problem with these state courts is that they want to have their cake and eat it too. I believe no one would have any problem with any state not allowing some couples to marry, but by law, they should be mandated to honor marriages performed in other states. As it stands, they want to prevent certain couples from marrying in state in addition to being able to cherrypick which marriages they want to recognize.

Some 50 years in we're back to Loving v. Virginia all over again...

okay, fair enough. Why does same sex marriage mean you should be granted this right? I mean, I only get one wife, same as you, under this rule. Where is the legal precedent for someone having multiple wives included in same sex marriage?

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

S/he already has the right to marry more than one person.

The entire 'if this.... then that...' is a red herring. Other installments which have been debunked several times are 'if you can get married, then I should be able to marry my fern, or my dog, or my petrock'.

oh, I'm well aware it's a red herring. I just like to let these kinds of jerks dig the hole of intolerance until they look like morons.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Timeline

That would be akin to helping gravity keep the universe in motion. Utterly unstoppable and unnecessary.

oh, I'm well aware it's a red herring. I just like to let these kinds of jerks dig the hole of intolerance until they look like morons.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not at all

This is a bait and switch argument, plural marriage is a different issue to gay marriage. The issues and arguments around it are different.

It would be like saying that the right for people to carry arms should be extended to carry stand grenades, rocket launchers and nuclear weapons.

Why does noone do that? Because it's a stupid argument.

Timeline

That would be akin to helping gravity keep the universe in motion. Utterly unstoppable and unnecessary.

Yeah, but I figure it's more like demonstrating that gravity exists. I mean, you can talk about it until you're blue in the face, but watching an egg drop off a building is a MUCH more visceral demonstration.

It is like Selma all over again. I hope the gays are marching!

Well, actually, GLBTQIA folks have been marching for decades. So yeah, we are. That being said, it's not quite as extreme as Selma, fortunately. We're still denied rights, but we're not denied the right to vote towards our treatment. The trouble is less that and more that, as a minority that takes up about 10% or less of the population, on our own we have no hope of effecting change. We need allies. We need to challenge unjust rulings in order to effect change. This is less like Selma and more like Loving v. Virginia. Both important civil rights cases, but very different.

The comparison to slavery is not about us being enslaved but about the fact that popular vote was not going to overturn laws allowing slavery. The majority supported slavery. The minority needed rights. Popular vote was not going to help that minority.

March 13, 2014 Married!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is a bait and switch argument, plural marriage is a different issue to gay marriage. The issues and arguments around it are different.

It would be like saying that the right for people to carry arms should be extended to carry stand grenades, rocket launchers and nuclear weapons.

Why does noone do that? Because it's a stupid argument.

I can only legally carry a shotgun or a rifle in the open in my state of Texas. I can't carry a carry a handgun in view. I have to carry a handgun concealed in my car to make it legal.

I am sure there are many places in USA where you can't carry a gun. New York has strict gun rules.

And there are only a few mainly southern states that will allow me to carry my concealed Handgun to their state.

Timeline

Unfortunately, even with marriage equality you won't be able to marry your gun, no matter how enamored the two of you are.

I can only legally carry a shotgun or a rifle in the open in my state of Texas. I can't carry a carry a handgun in view. I have to carry a handgun concealed in my car to make it legal.

I am sure there are many places in USA where you can't carry a gun. New York has strict gun rules.

And there are only a few mainly southern states that will allow me to carry my concealed Handgun to their state.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org