nadia&sameer

Asked to help co-sponsor a K-1, but need to fill out I-864

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a stupid question that I feel I should already know the answer to, but want to make sure I'm right. I have been asked by someone to co-sponsor him for a k-1 visa. His fiancée has just finished school and is currently unemployed. I said I would help at first because it was just supposed to be for the K-1 then she would either be working to sponsor him on her own at time of AOS or they would find someone else to sponsor him at that time. But now I see that I have to fill out the I-864 not the I-134 that I was expecting. So I'm now thinking I would be legally responsible for this man until he becomes a citizen or for whomever knows how long. Is my thinking correct? I really want to help him, but do not know his fiancée at all. The fact that she has no job, is getting government assistance, and does not seem willing to take a couple of minimum wage jobs to meet the min. requirement to sponsor him herself worries me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think this is where you should listen to your gut.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I suggest you read this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/522653-co-sponsors-responsibility-after-filing-ch-13-bankruptcy/#entry7341188

Personally, I would never co-sponsor for anyone (except my own family members)

Although it is always mentioned that the Govt hardly goes after the co-sponsors for any benefits the beneficiary received, I would not want to have the uncertainties/fear hanging over me constantly.

If the US citizen fiancee isn't making the effort to meet the financial requirement, do you think their marriage will last long?

Love does not survive on fresh air alone.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Hi everyone,

I have a stupid question that I feel I should already know the answer to, but want to make sure I'm right. I have been asked by someone to co-sponsor him for a k-1 visa. His fiancée has just finished school and is currently unemployed. I said I would help at first because it was just supposed to be for the K-1 then she would either be working to sponsor him on her own at time of AOS or they would find someone else to sponsor him at that time. But now I see that I have to fill out the I-864 not the I-134 that I was expecting. So I'm now thinking I would be legally responsible for this man until he becomes a citizen or for whomever knows how long. Is my thinking correct? I really want to help him, but do not know his fiancée at all. The fact that she has no job, is getting government assistance, and does not seem willing to take a couple of minimum wage jobs to meet the min. requirement to sponsor him herself worries me. Any guidance would be appreciated.

For this reason I would not agree to be a co-sponsor.

If the petitioner wants her fiancé to be with her, then she needs to put forth the effort to make it happen. SHE needs to make it happen, not you.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would never do it if not for a family member too!

USCIS

04-SEP-2014 --- Marriage!

08-DEC-2014 --- I-130 Sent

17-DEC-2014 --- NOA1

05-JAN-2015 --- NOA2

NVC

17-JAN-2015 --- NVC Recieved

02-MAR-2015 --- Case Activated; Filled DS-261

02-MAR-2015 --- AOS Invoiced ; PAID

03-MAR-2015 --- AOS shows "PAID"

13-APR-2015 --- IV Invoiced ; PAID

14-APR-2015 --- IV shows "PAID"

22-APR-2015 --- Completed DS-260

01-MAY-2015 --- Mailed AOS/IV Packet

04-MAY-2015 --- Scan Date

03-JUN-2015 --- Case Complete!

23-JUL-2015 --- INTERVIEW!!! (Approved)

(ROC)I-751
21-AUG-2017 --- I-751 Sent
22-AUG-2017 --- Check cashed

Timeline

Thanks for everyone's comments. I guess I had just been under the impression that co-sponsoring for a K1 was only valid for as long as the K1was good for and then they would have to do an I-864 when adjusting status which gets me off the hook, but apparently that is not the case anymore.

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

U r responsible only to that time he is getting green card, green card is taking maximum 6 months dear, dnd worry, if she is ur friend then u dnd need to worry, just help ur friend in hard time :-)

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In all fairness, in her current financial predicament, marriage should be the last thing on her mind. Having said that, to each his own, but I believe you'd be enabling bad behavior, rather than helping her, by signing the affidavit. Just my judgmental 2-cent worth.

Hi everyone,

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

U r responsible only to that time he is getting green card, green card is taking maximum 6 months dear, dnd worry, if she is ur friend then u dnd need to worry, just help ur friend in hard time :-)

You are wrong.

The person/people who signed the I-864 are "on the hook" for YEARS. Not just while the GC is processing.

The I-864 affidavit is enforceable until specific conditions are met:

1. The immigrant becomes a US citizen.

2. The immigrant loses their permanent resident status and leaves the United States.

3. The immigrant can be credited with 40 quarters of work credits via Social Security.

4. Either the immigrant or the sponsor dies (the sponsor's estate can be levied for prior liabilities).

Perhaps, OP could introduce you to his friend so that you can be the co-sponsor instead.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

I am not talking at point of Singapore, I am talking at point of Pakistan, where people's always help in bad time of friends & I am sure she will not help b/c she is taking advice from u guys about her friend, if u trust friend, help her, if u dnd trust, it's okay but dnd take advice from strange peoples

Timeline

You are wrong.

The person/people who signed the I-864 are "on the hook" for YEARS. Not just while the GC is processing.

The I-864 affidavit is enforceable until specific conditions are met:

1. The immigrant becomes a US citizen.

2. The immigrant loses their permanent resident status and leaves the United States.

3. The immigrant can be credited with 40 quarters of work credits via Social Security.

4. Either the immigrant or the sponsor dies (the sponsor's estate can be levied for prior liabilities).

Perhaps, OP could introduce you to his friend so that you can be the co-sponsor instead.

Yes, that is what I thought. I had been under the impression that I would be filling out an I-134 which essentially means nothing, but when I found out it was the I-864 I realized I cannot afford to sponsor someone as I am already sponsoring my husband.

I am not talking at point of Singapore, I am talking at point of Pakistan, where people's always help in bad time of friends & I am sure she will not help b/c she is taking advice from u guys about her friend, if u trust friend, help her, if u dnd trust, it's okay but dnd take advice from strange peoples

Right. You seem to have some misconceptions on how I-864 works and for how long it's in effect.

Based on what the OP has written, regardless of the immigrant's place of origin, I would not become a joint sponsor while the main sponsor is doing nothing to get a job(s) and is on government assistance (no idea for how long already and for how much longer).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

I understand what you are saying, but I have never met either of these people in person. The fact that his fiance is not willing to get a job scares me. How will they live? I do not make enough money to support a man I have never met. If neither are working I could be on the hook to support him when I can barely support my own family. Inshallah they will just wait a little bit until his fiancee gets a job and can sponsor him herself, or if she's not going to work in USA then she could move to live with him in Pakistan and he can support her there. Maybe you would be willing to sponsor him?

Timeline

U use friend word there4 I said that, if u did not met person or dnd wanna help, it's okay, I am sorry but u can't sponsor 2 persons at one time, it's better that u sponsor ur husband & that's it......inshAllah if my friend will need my help, I will....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.