D.Ba

Has anybody been granted K-1 without I-134?

23 posts in this topic

Ayisi&Phyllis, April&Daniel:

To explain my "hostile tone" or "moral objection": No, no moral objection to disclosure, but yes, it does annoy me that in this process it seems as if we immigrants are basically regarded as poor, and that we from day one rely either on our fiancés (spouses) or will turn to the state. It does not seem to be an option that we have savings that will last for a while.

Babushka545, kzielu: Certainly I will have to live off my savings for a while longer than until the day of marriage, but with AOS comes I-864, and then the original affidavit is void. So that is only good until the day I file for AOS, right? I do understand the line of thinking that the now-fiancé would have to be able to support me in the long term, in case I don't find work or similar, but that's what I-864 is for, then.

I think I will actually write to the consulate. I need to mail the documents before, so bringing them to the interview is not the question.

That's great you are able to support yourself up to the AOS stage or longer if that's the agreement with your fiance! Hope German Consulate has an option for not filing I-134

3Vtn.png

ROC:

01/12/18 -- I-751 sent to California Service Center

01/13/18 -- Package delivered to California Service Center

01/23/18 -- Check cashed

01/27/18 -- Received NOA (dated 01/19/18)

AOS Journey:

10/31/2015 - Married in Las Vegas :halloween:

12/2/2015 - AOS package sent

12/4/2015 - AOS package delivered

12/11/2015 - NOA 1 date

12/13/2015 - 3 NOA 1 notifications received (texts/emails)

12/18/2015 - 3 hard copy NOA 1 received

12/26/2015 - Biometrics letter received

01/08/2016 - Biometrics appointment

01/20/2016 - Status for I-485 has changed to Ready for Interview

01/27/2016 - Status for I-485 has changed to Interview Is Scheduled

02/17/2016 - Approval for AP & EAD

02/24/2016 - EAD/AP card received

03/04/2016 - Interview for AOS - APPROVED

03/12/2016 - GC received

So if you do a search on this site under London K1 self sponsorship you will find a load of threads discussing how this works at the London consulate.

Here is one example:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/466370-k1-self-sponsor-london/

The tricky thing is there is no set amount stated officially that is acceptable but it looks as though people have been accepted with proof of assets as low as $3000 but in many threads people are showing quite big sums such as $30,000-$60,000 and are having no problems with that.

So the first question is will your consulate consider it and then you have to judge what the right amount is. And even then it's up to the individual consulate officer on the day.

If you do go this route might be worth having the backup I-134 with you just in case

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

it does annoy me that in this process it seems as if we immigrants are basically regarded as poor, and that we from day one rely either on our fiancés (spouses) or will turn to the state. It does not seem to be an option that we have savings that will last for a while.Savings, unless it is a grossly large amount, are not income. You both will need that to be able to live here for a long while (the intention of the K-1). You could......transfer the money to your fiance, who then can use that when they file the 134 form.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here's the reply of Frankfurt embassy:

"You are correct, as you are applying for a K-visa, you may sponsor yourself and do not require your fiancé to sponsor you.

Sincerely,

U.S. Consulate General (IV)

Consular Information Unit / km

60435 Frankfurt/Main"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Here's the reply of Frankfurt embassy:

"You are correct, as you are applying for a K-visa, you may sponsor yourself and do not require your fiancé to sponsor you.

Sincerely,

U.S. Consulate General (IV)

Consular Information Unit / km

60435 Frankfurt/Main"

Thank you for the update. Good to know.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Trellick,

no, nothing on the amount.

Despite my question, that one line was pretty much the whole answer.

You might refer to the threads on London, where some figures are presented.

I would have thought that the rule "5 times poverty limit" applies (isn't that the I-134 rule if you lack income?), but it seems to be possible with less.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.