D.Ba

Has anybody been granted K-1 without I-134?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

It just annoys me that my F has to disclose his financial situation at the K-1 visa stage, while nobody asks me how much money I have to support myself until we get married (less than 90 days, yes, my savings will allow that).

travel.state.gov states:

"You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e)."

Has anybody supplied just their own evidence to Frankfurt? Not that there is a problem, there's enough money on both sides, just BECAUSE.

I believe only UK people are allowed for self-sponsor I-134.

Your F has to disclose his financial situation during AOS (I-864) stage too.

So might as well collect the required documents for I-134.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Well, the Frankfurt checklist also says "... may complete form I-134, not I-864, or submit evidence that you will not become a public charge".

And then a few lines down, where it describes the tax returns "K visa applicants may present their own assets as proof; a tax return is not required."

I am so tempted, but I don't want to risk a slowdown.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why so unfriendly? A lot of more irrelevant questions are being asked in this forum.

Of course I will provide "the information", the question is just, which.

I do not know of Germany accepting self-sponsorship, but since their own instructions mention it, it may be possible there. Why not contact the consulate there and specifically ask them if the K-1 applicant can provide their own financial documents to prove they will not become a public charge? They would be the ones that could answer this question for you. The CO has sole discretion on making that decision.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm not understanding your moral objection to it? Maybe if you explained the reasons why you don't want your fiancé to submit the i-134 instead of "just because"

The U.S. government already knows how much your fiance makes if he pays taxes. I'm confused about why you don't want to submit your fiances info but you're ok with providing your own...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No harm in taking both to the interview, and only offering up your fiancé's info if they don't accept your own. I'm sure it's not actually a problem, but it's better to be safe.

Edited by CanadianGrrl

It just annoys me that my F has to disclose his financial situation at the K-1 visa stage, while nobody asks me how much money I have to support myself until we get married (less than 90 days, yes, my savings will allow that).

travel.state.gov states:

"You may present evidence that you are able to financially support yourself or that your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) is able to provide support. The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e)."

Has anybody supplied just their own evidence to Frankfurt? Not that there is a problem, there's enough money on both sides, just BECAUSE.

As others have stated... Bring your supporting information to show YOUR ability to support yourself and have your Fiance's documentation available in the event it is required.

travel.state.gov states:

My understanding is that you will have to support yourself longer then 90 days up to marriage because filling forms for AOS and EAD will add time (several more months).

3Vtn.png

ROC:

01/12/18 -- I-751 sent to California Service Center

01/13/18 -- Package delivered to California Service Center

01/23/18 -- Check cashed

01/27/18 -- Received NOA (dated 01/19/18)

AOS Journey:

10/31/2015 - Married in Las Vegas :halloween:

12/2/2015 - AOS package sent

12/4/2015 - AOS package delivered

12/11/2015 - NOA 1 date

12/13/2015 - 3 NOA 1 notifications received (texts/emails)

12/18/2015 - 3 hard copy NOA 1 received

12/26/2015 - Biometrics letter received

01/08/2016 - Biometrics appointment

01/20/2016 - Status for I-485 has changed to Ready for Interview

01/27/2016 - Status for I-485 has changed to Interview Is Scheduled

02/17/2016 - Approval for AP & EAD

02/24/2016 - EAD/AP card received

03/04/2016 - Interview for AOS - APPROVED

03/12/2016 - GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The affidavit of support , i believe, goes beyond 90 days.

You start your post with a hostile tone as to " why they want your fiancé's financial information? " but remember that this is only a privilege, the CO's have denied ppl over ridiculous reasons so pick your battles....

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

You will have to be supported much longer than until you get married. Marriage is not that relevant, what is relevant is when you are going to file for AOS (which is $1k cost) and 60-90 days after that is earliest you will be able to work. In addition to that US government has not guarantee that you actually will find work any time soon so they could care less how much money you have. Fiancee wants to bring you over, fiancee need to be able to support you.

Timeline

Ayisi&Phyllis, April&Daniel:

To explain my "hostile tone" or "moral objection": No, no moral objection to disclosure, but yes, it does annoy me that in this process it seems as if we immigrants are basically regarded as poor, and that we from day one rely either on our fiancés (spouses) or will turn to the state. It does not seem to be an option that we have savings that will last for a while.

Babushka545, kzielu: Certainly I will have to live off my savings for a while longer than until the day of marriage, but with AOS comes I-864, and then the original affidavit is void. So that is only good until the day I file for AOS, right? I do understand the line of thinking that the now-fiancé would have to be able to support me in the long term, in case I don't find work or similar, but that's what I-864 is for, then.

I think I will actually write to the consulate. I need to mail the documents before, so bringing them to the interview is not the question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I think the best way to know for certain because this is a consulate specific question is to ask them directly so I agree that's the best course of action right now.

Thanks for answering my question. I understand where you're coming from better now. I don't agree that the US is treating the immigrant as poor, though. The way I see it is that they want the information from the Petitioner because without the Petitioner you would not be able to get this type of visa. The Petitioner is the sole reason why the Beneficiary is being granted this visa so they want assurance from the Petitioner that the Beneficiary won't be a public charge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Ayisi&Phyllis, April&Daniel:

To explain my "hostile tone" or "moral objection": No, no moral objection to disclosure, but yes, it does annoy me that in this process it seems as if we immigrants are basically regarded as poor, and that we from day one rely either on our fiancés (spouses) or will turn to the state. It does not seem to be an option that we have savings that will last for a while.

Babushka545, kzielu: Certainly I will have to live off my savings for a while longer than until the day of marriage, but with AOS comes I-864, and then the original affidavit is void. So that is only good until the day I file for AOS, right? I do understand the line of thinking that the now-fiancé would have to be able to support me in the long term, in case I don't find work or similar, but that's what I-864 is for, then.

I think I will actually write to the consulate. I need to mail the documents before, so bringing them to the interview is not the question.

All true - but is you problem that you see that as unnecessary of is your fiancee actually unable to meet the requirements ? If the latter, there will be same issue with I-864 going forward.

If your assets are joint, you can use them, otherwise I would think it's fair to assume immigrant - moving between two different countries - will have to be supported for a while. Not sure what do you see wrong with it ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.