degreeofhope

I-751 Two Year conditional Greencard Dilemma.

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I never thought it would happen to me but it did, so i try to deal with it as best as possible.

I just received a letter from USCIS that I need send in proofs in order to remove my wife's 2-year conditional status on her greencard.

The problem is as soon as my wife got her green card two years ago when she came to the US, i've rarely seen her. She told me to go find someone else. She went back to her country Vietnam twice. The first time, she went back for 1 month and bought a piece of land in her hometown for $35K. The second time, she goes back for 5 months. She hired an architect to draw up her house and hired contractors to build her a nice 3-bedroom house for $50K. The cash she saved by working under the table while in the US as a cosmetologist. She doesn't want to pay taxes. She told me that once she got her 10-year green card, she will stay in the US for 6 months working for cash only, then go back to her country and stay there for 6 months.

She even sold the wedding ring I bought her to pay for her house. she's only been in the US for 1.5 years, and she's already gone for almost 1 year. She has friends in Texas, so she goes there twice already one-month each time to visit them.

So i've been used. I've been used by someone to get a greencard. I know, I thought I was bulletproof and now it happens to me.

We pretty much live separate ways. I NEVER put her name on bank accounts, utility bills, rental apartment, health insurance, car, nothing nada. When I file taxes, i even claim as single, not putting her name on tax returns.

Now USCIS wants me to send in proofs that we have a bonafide marriage. The irony right?

She is in vietnam now since January and she won't be back in the US until Jun 15. Her greencard expires on Jun 16.

So what are my options? Write a letter to USCIS and explain everything or be a nice guy and help her get her 10-year greencard? I feel like she's a complete stranger to me now.

Thanks everyone.

Posted Yesterday, 05:48 PM

Ivonne2014, on 04 Mar 2015 - 2:44 PM, said:snapback.png

She has the two year Green card which expires in June 2015, DONT DO ANYTHING TO APPLY FOR THE 10 YEAR GREEN CARD.

if I don't, she will hire a lawyer.

what is the probability that she will get deported?

Ok.

You say youve done a lot of reading on this site- which is good but you havent been reading the right things it seems because you seem to be confused about some major points.

First- lets deal with the deportation. Honestly- who the f cares if she is deported or not? I mean really. Just having her out of your life should be enough. Deportation technically means having her physically removed from the country. Thats different from having her status revoked and her remaining out of status/illegal. She seems to have built a life over there more then here anyway- so she most likely would return there at some point and figure out a way to get back to US legally rather then stay in the US illegally the rest of her life and never return 'home'.

Moving on you specifically say you got a letter advising you to send in proof of a bonafide marriage. Lets talk about this letter. Was it the standard your GC is expiring soon kind of letter and its time to remove conditions kind of letter? Or was it a request for further evidence letter (unlikely based on the dates you provided). Either way- to whom was the letter addressed? YOU personally? Because the GC is NOT YOURS. It is hers. This is her problem not yours. The gov is asking nothing of you and everything of her.

The way ROC works- basically HER choices. She needs to file ROC by the expiration of her GC. (they do accept late filings with explanations but its risky, they can deny it- they usually dont but its a chance you take if you send it in past the date on your card- plus its messy you are out of status etc). so...

You are allowed to send it in up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of your card. You have several choices to choose from on how you are going to file. The one you are "suppose" to use is the joint option. Both you and your spouse sign the form and submit evidences. If the evidences are not enough you will get RFEs asking for more. If its still not enough they will ask you BOTH to come in for an interview where they will evaluate your relationship in person.

If your spouse will not sign off on the joint option you can check variations of a waiver tick box explaining why- theres a box for Im a widow. Theres a box for Im divorced (that covers everything from in the process of getting divorced to being separated) But note they will not approve you with that checked until you present a FINAL divorce decree. There is also a box that says my spouse is abusive and refuses to sign. This is a tough box to pick. You need lots and lots of proof to justify your spouse is an abuser. You dont need to be divorced to get approved just proof that your spouse is an abuser.

So knowing all that-- Ivonne tells you dont do anything to help her get the GC and you reply if I dont she will hire a lawyer?/?

Umm ok. And the lawyer will do what? With out your help she either needs to file for divorce or come up with proof you are an abuser. (there is none Im assuming. Youve never been arrested? Shes never called the cops on you while shes been in the states? No DV complaints etc?)

So as much as she would rather wait and get the 10 year card before divorcing with out signing the joint form its just not going to happen.

Your choices are file for divorce now or wait for her to do it. You have an advantage filing. You can request things like the US residence you live in is yours and she has no rights to it (so if she comes back to the states theres no dispute of her moving in and you cant get her out) you can also include all the wrongdoings in a narrative type accusation for grounds of divorce. The divorce papers will be sent in with her ROC, so its kind of a two birds with one stone type deal. Not only can you bring them to FDNS but they will make their way to her A file through her roc.

Get a divorce attny and have them help you. They may not see the value in adding all the 'nonsense' in but insist on it as its important to immigration. Also send the complete divorce packet in to USCIS as she may only send the final decree. Some states consider the whole packet the decree, some just the last page is the decree. You want them to have the whole packet to see.

As others have said with no joint assets, no co-mingling of funds, taxes, all the time spent out of the country. Her ROCing alone is going to be nearly impossible even with a lawyer.

Divorces usually come with a mild type of restraining order of no harassment/no destruction of property. If you are scared of her or she violates it- dont be afraid to go back to the courts and ask for a stronger order.

Best of luck to you in the future.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok.

You say youve done a lot of reading on this site- which is good but you havent been reading the right things it seems because you seem to be confused about some major points.

First- lets deal with the deportation. Honestly- who the f cares if she is deported or not? I mean really. Just having her out of your life should be enough. Deportation technically means having her physically removed from the country. Thats different from having her status revoked and her remaining out of status/illegal. She seems to have built a life over there more then here anyway- so she most likely would return there at some point and figure out a way to get back to US legally rather then stay in the US illegally the rest of her life and never return 'home'.

Moving on you specifically say you got a letter advising you to send in proof of a bonafide marriage. Lets talk about this letter. Was it the standard your GC is expiring soon kind of letter and its time to remove conditions kind of letter? Or was it a request for further evidence letter (unlikely based on the dates you provided). Either way- to whom was the letter addressed? YOU personally? Because the GC is NOT YOURS. It is hers. This is her problem not yours. The gov is asking nothing of you and everything of her.

The way ROC works- basically HER choices. She needs to file ROC by the expiration of her GC. (they do accept late filings with explanations but its risky, they can deny it- they usually dont but its a chance you take if you send it in past the date on your card- plus its messy you are out of status etc). so...

You are allowed to send it in up to 90 days prior to the expiration date of your card. You have several choices to choose from on how you are going to file. The one you are "suppose" to use is the joint option. Both you and your spouse sign the form and submit evidences. If the evidences are not enough you will get RFEs asking for more. If its still not enough they will ask you BOTH to come in for an interview where they will evaluate your relationship in person.

If your spouse will not sign off on the joint option you can check variations of a waiver tick box explaining why- theres a box for Im a widow. Theres a box for Im divorced (that covers everything from in the process of getting divorced to being separated) But note they will not approve you with that checked until you present a FINAL divorce decree. There is also a box that says my spouse is abusive and refuses to sign. This is a tough box to pick. You need lots and lots of proof to justify your spouse is an abuser. You dont need to be divorced to get approved just proof that your spouse is an abuser.

So knowing all that-- Ivonne tells you dont do anything to help her get the GC and you reply if I dont she will hire a lawyer?/?

Umm ok. And the lawyer will do what? With out your help she either needs to file for divorce or come up with proof you are an abuser. (there is none Im assuming. Youve never been arrested? Shes never called the cops on you while shes been in the states? No DV complaints etc?)

So as much as she would rather wait and get the 10 year card before divorcing with out signing the joint form its just not going to happen.

Your choices are file for divorce now or wait for her to do it. You have an advantage filing. You can request things like the US residence you live in is yours and she has no rights to it (so if she comes back to the states theres no dispute of her moving in and you cant get her out) you can also include all the wrongdoings in a narrative type accusation for grounds of divorce. The divorce papers will be sent in with her ROC, so its kind of a two birds with one stone type deal. Not only can you bring them to FDNS but they will make their way to her A file through her roc.

Get a divorce attny and have them help you. They may not see the value in adding all the 'nonsense' in but insist on it as its important to immigration. Also send the complete divorce packet in to USCIS as she may only send the final decree. Some states consider the whole packet the decree, some just the last page is the decree. You want them to have the whole packet to see.

As others have said with no joint assets, no co-mingling of funds, taxes, all the time spent out of the country. Her ROCing alone is going to be nearly impossible even with a lawyer.

Divorces usually come with a mild type of restraining order of no harassment/no destruction of property. If you are scared of her or she violates it- dont be afraid to go back to the courts and ask for a stronger order.

Best of luck to you in the future.

I can’t say enough how much I appreciate your response. To answer your questions:
  1. I don’t know if i’m selfish or not, but knowing someone is using me for a GC, then i do feel it’s necessary to have that person get deported if possible.
  2. I guess I’m trying to have her status revoked. Her GC will expire on June 16. She will arrive back in the US on June 15. If I could have a block on her GC, that means she’d get stuck at the airport immigration. Most likely they will send her back to vietnam because her GC is no longer valid. Once she’s back in vn, it would be harder for her to fight.
  3. The letter was sent to her personally. It’s the 90-day Removal of Conditions from USCIS letter. I have her permission to open any of her Immigration letters, since she cannot read in English. In the letter, she must prove that we’ve been living together. However, there is not a single of my document that I put her name on. Not my bank accounts, car, rental, insurance, medical, utility, nothing. This alone would be difficult for her to prove that she was in a bonafide marriage because there is no document to prove to begin with.
  4. Now if I don’t file the ROC for her, which obviously i’m not going to, even if I would, there is no document with both our names to prove, that means her GC will expire on June 16. Then she would have to send it in late and explain why it was late. Yes I have the option of not doing anything and just let her GC expire. She would do it on her own without my help.
  5. I asked her to file the divorce paper in vn, but she refused. I can file here, but she would still refuse because she told me she would only sign once she got her 10-year GC.
  6. I am NOT an abuser. I am as clean as Clorox.

Questions:

What happens if I refuse to sign any of the ROC document or refuse to give her any document? Even if I did, there is not a single document with both our names on it.
Can I file a divorce paper on my own without her signature. If i send it in to USCIS, would they accept that?
So with all that said, what are the chances she can get deported by USCIS?

File for divorce, move to the new place, ship her stuff to Vietnam. Done.

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Too late to edit it. Quote it and add your new material beneath it.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You know, I had a GC before, and they don't like of you enter the country even when there's 5 months left on it before renewal. If she only has a window of one day, has a record of being out of the country a lot and for an extended time.....sounds like she will have a tough time atvthe border to me. However, without marks/notes on her file when she enters, it really is up to the individual border agent.

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

I totally understand.

I want to report to the USCIS very badly. I've read a lot of discussions on this site, the probability of anyone getting deported is almost ZERO.

Don't take it the wrong way. I don't want to go through all the hassles of collecting evidence now to present to USCIS, only to know that deportation is a lost cause.

If i know that she can get deported after I present all the evidence, then I would do it right now right away, but the odd is not that great for me.

They're not telling you to collect evidence so that you can get her deported. They're telling you to collect evidence so that if she tries to self-petition to remove the conditions and/or claims the Violence Against Women Act against you (these are the ways she'd get her ten year green card without you) you can fight it, and demonstrate the lack of a bona fide marriage and evidence that she's claiming VAWA as part of a scam.

And if she gets a ten-year green card without you, you could still be on the hook to financially support her because of the affidavit of support (especially because she works under the table!).

You cannot stop her from traveling back to the US whenever she wants to. She could come back tomorrow (and may, if she's so worried about her green card). You have no control over that part. You DO have control to (a) not help her (b) take steps to protect yourself. You do not want her to be able to get that ten year green card. Collecting evidence of the scam and/or abandonment of her residency is how you prevent that. She may still be in the country, but she won't have legal status, and you'd be much less likely (or totally unlikely?) to be on the financial hook for her.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Hold up. You say that she is living in one of your rentals right, and that she is currently in Vietnam now? You say she can not read in English good and that's why you read her mail. YOU NEED TO MAN UP AND DIVORCE HER. Depending on the state you live in depends on how fast the divorce can go, more than likely can claim abandonment. Stop trying to rely on other people to do what YOU need to do.
If she is currently living in Vietnam now, then move her ####### out of that house and rent it out. Put it in storage somewhere until she comes back, if she does not come back at that time then throw the ####### out or donate it somewhere.

What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking? Also why would you file the ROC paperwork for her and spend even more money on a woman that DOES NOT LOVE YOU. I am sorry I am being mean, I have been divorced before and it's tough to face the facts. But as soon as you do, then you can move forward and be happy in life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

She can still ROC on her own though, even after the divorce and nothing can stop her.

She can do that, but the OP mentioned that they don't have joint bank accounts, her name is on no bills,...making it very difficult for her to proof a bonafide marriage.

That can be good on one hand but on the flip side, opens the door to a false VAWA claim "he didn't share finances, he didn't treat me as an equal, he mentally abused me"

I heard people can get very creative with these claims.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Proof of a bona fide marriage is needed just as much for VAWA (or in this case would be RoC under extreme cruelty, which uses similar requirements as VAWA) as it is for a traditional RoC application.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

She can do that, but the OP mentioned that they don't have joint bank accounts, her name is on no bills,...making it very difficult for her to proof a bonafide marriage.

That can be good on one hand but on the flip side, opens the door to a false VAWA claim "he didn't share finances, he didn't treat me as an equal, he mentally abused me"

I heard people can get very creative with these claims.

Yes she can hire an immigration lawyer and they know every trick in the book to help her.

Hold up. You say that she is living in one of your rentals right, and that she is currently in Vietnam now? You say she can not read in English good and that's why you read her mail. YOU NEED TO MAN UP AND DIVORCE HER. Depending on the state you live in depends on how fast the divorce can go, more than likely can claim abandonment. Stop trying to rely on other people to do what YOU need to do.

If she is currently living in Vietnam now, then move her ####### out of that house and rent it out. Put it in storage somewhere until she comes back, if she does not come back at that time then throw the ####### out or donate it somewhere.

Yes she is living with me still. I am still responsible for her, that's what the Affadavit of Support was for when I sponsored her.

I also explained several times, she won't sign the divorce paper until she got her 10-year greencard. So both parties have to agree to sign.

What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking? Also why would you file the ROC paperwork for her and spend even more money on a woman that DOES NOT LOVE YOU. I am sorry I am being mean, I have been divorced before and it's tough to face the facts. But as soon as you do, then you can move forward and be happy in life.

I live in California.

===========================

I know how you guys feel. I do want to have her deported by the airport immigration when she returns to the US. That is the only reason why I came and asked you guys. However, if they allow her to get thru at the airport, then we will have a long battle ahead of us, which is what i'm trying to avoid. If she's NOT in the US, i can throw her stuff out, i can file for divorce, I can do so many things without having to fight for any of it. Now with her here, I'm certain we will quarrel over everything she might even call the cops on me for domestic violence. It's a battle that I'm trying to avoid.

Edited by degreeofhope

At this moment in time is she in Vietnam or here in Cali? That is the one question I want you to answer now. I say this because if she is not here then it is alot easier to do. The more time you give the becomes increasing harder to do both physically and mentally.

Timeline

At this moment in time is she in Vietnam or here in Cali? That is the one question I want you to answer now. I say this because if she is not here then it is alot easier to do. The more time you give the becomes increasing harder to do both physically and mentally.

She is in vietnam until June 15. Her GC expires on June 16.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.