degreeofhope

I-751 Two Year conditional Greencard Dilemma.

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I never thought it would happen to me but it did, so i try to deal with it as best as possible.

I just received a letter from USCIS that I need send in proofs in order to remove my wife's 2-year conditional status on her greencard.

The problem is as soon as my wife got her green card two years ago when she came to the US, i've rarely seen her. She told me to go find someone else. She went back to her country Vietnam twice. The first time, she went back for 1 month and bought a piece of land in her hometown for $35K. The second time, she goes back for 5 months. She hired an architect to draw up her house and hired contractors to build her a nice 3-bedroom house for $50K. The cash she saved by working under the table while in the US as a cosmetologist. She doesn't want to pay taxes. She told me that once she got her 10-year green card, she will stay in the US for 6 months working for cash only, then go back to her country and stay there for 6 months.

She even sold the wedding ring I bought her to pay for her house. she's only been in the US for 1.5 years, and she's already gone for almost 1 year. She has friends in Texas, so she goes there twice already one-month each time to visit them.

So i've been used. I've been used by someone to get a greencard. I know, I thought I was bulletproof and now it happens to me.

We pretty much live separate ways. I NEVER put her name on bank accounts, utility bills, rental apartment, health insurance, car, nothing nada. When I file taxes, i even claim as single, not putting her name on tax returns.

Now USCIS wants me to send in proofs that we have a bonafide marriage. The irony right?

She is in vietnam now since January and she won't be back in the US until Jun 15. Her greencard expires on Jun 16.

So what are my options? Write a letter to USCIS and explain everything or be a nice guy and help her get her 10-year greencard? I feel like she's a complete stranger to me now.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by degreeofhope

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~moved from IR1/CR1 Process to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at the forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Please don't help her, it's hard enough for me, who's been married 14years to a USC to get a greencard.

Edited by Brewlin

Married 2001, conditional resident 2003, permanent resident 2005.Left U.S 2012, abandoned green card 2013.Applied I-130 Nov 2014, approved Dec 2014. DS260 13th Apr 2015. Docs sent 27 Apr. Scan date May 1. Case complete June 4!Interview July 14th, rescheduled to Oct 20th.  Applied for N400 on November 6th, 2018. I'm the immigrant :)

First of all, do two things:

1) Do nothing to remove conditions on your wife's green card. From the way you've described, she's committed immigration fraud by marrying a USC for a green card. Building a house and spending dollops of time in Vietnam could also be seen as abandoning US residence.

2) Document her "transgressions" and dates as best you recall. They can come in handy IF she files any claims against you.

Finally,

Amend filing status on your past taxes to "Married filing Separately". It's the correct way to do.. moreover, your tax liability is likely to decrease going from Single to MFS.

USCIS website:

A conditional permanent resident receives a green card valid for 2 years. In order to remain a permanent resident, a conditional permanent resident must file a petition to remove the condition during the 90 days before the card expires. The conditional card cannot be renewed. The conditions must be removed or you will lose your permanent resident status.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline

Agree with other posters. You should not help her commit immigration fraud (do not file ROC), file your taxes as previously mentioned. It is time for you to lawyer up, file for divorce, be careful to document any contact, content of conversations, you subsequently have with her. Ask your lawyer about VAWA implications. Consider contacting ICE, or at the least make an InfoPASS appointment as previously mentioned.

Protect yourself, once she realizes that you will not be her "patsy," she will turn on you, and likely try some legal shenanigans (i.e., VAWA).

Good luck on your legal journey.

Timeline

Based on what the op has said, VAWA will probably be inevitable once she realizes he's not going to comply any longer.

OP, make sure you document all interactions with her and do not meet with her privately, always make sure you meet in a public place or with other people around. Also try to document everything she has done since your marriage.

Agree! :thumbs:

Timeline

Why would you wait for her to file the divorce paper?

You can file for divorce here in US.

Don't wait and be wishy washy.

We married in vn. I thought thats where we file for divorce, not in the US and since shes already there. I didnt know we can file in the US.

Timeline

Based on what the op has said, VAWA will probably be inevitable once she realizes he's not going to comply any longer.

OP, make sure you document all interactions with her and do not meet with her privately, always make sure you meet in a public place or with other people around. Also try to document everything she has done since your marriage.

Shes still live in my rental, we havent divorced yet so i cant just kick her out.

This is why i try to find way to not let her come back to the US since shes in vn till june 15. Her green card will expire on june 16. If i can find a way to block her green card the at the airport and they would deny her entry. Its easier to fight when she cant come back here as supposed to already living in the same house.

Edited by degreeofhope

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country:
Timeline

If you file for ROC for her, not only are you insulting those of us (beneficiaries) who have a bona fide marriage, but committing an immigration fraud by being her accomplice.

I don't mean to attack you by interrogating "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR HER?", but you should realize that what she's been doing is not right.

Hi,

I never thought it would happen to me but it did, so i try to deal with it as best as possible.

I just received a letter from USCIS that I need send in proofs in order to remove my wife's 2-year conditional status on her greencard.

The problem is as soon as my wife got her green card two years ago when she came to the US, i've rarely seen her. She told me to go find someone else. She went back to her country Vietnam twice. The first time, she went back for 1 month and bought a piece of land in her hometown for $35K. The second time, she goes back for 5 months. She hired an architect to draw up her house and hired contractors to build her a nice 3-bedroom house for $50K. The cash she saved by working under the table while in the US as a cosmetologist. She doesn't want to pay taxes. She told me that once she got her 10-year green card, she will stay in the US for 6 months working for cash only, then go back to her country and stay there for 6 months.

She even sold the wedding ring I bought her to pay for her house. she's only been in the US for 1.5 years, and she's already gone for almost 1 year. She has friends in Texas, so she goes there twice already one-month each time to visit them.

So i've been used. I've been used by someone to get a greencard. I know, I thought I was bulletproof and now it happens to me.

We pretty much live separate ways. I NEVER put her name on bank accounts, utility bills, rental apartment, health insurance, car, nothing nada. When I file taxes, i even claim as single, not putting her name on tax returns.

Now USCIS wants me to send in proofs that we have a bonafide marriage. The irony right?

She is in vietnam now since January and she won't be back in the US until Jun 15. Her greencard expires on Jun 16.

So what are my options? Write a letter to USCIS and explain everything or be a nice guy and help her get her 10-year greencard? I feel like she's a complete stranger to me now.

Thanks everyone.

ROC

04/06/16

- I-751 mailed by priority

04/08/16

- NOA1

11/30/16

- card ordered (no interview)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Don't put yourself in the risk of immigration fraud to help someone that clearly was using you. Protect your assets, she will come for more. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.