loba2000

When Do You Get Health Insurance?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey everyone :)

Me and my mother are in big confusion as to when one can get health/medical insurance in USA being an immigrant?

What are the requirements? Can you even get it while being an immigrant or do you have to be a citizen?

What i mean to say is that when can one apply for health insurance in USA while being an immigrant

Please please help me :)

Edited by loba2000

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

What do you mean by "get" health insurance ?

You have to pay for it, you're not going to get it and you have to do it once you become a resident, otherwise you will pay a fine on your taxes.

If she is having her ss, I think she can buy any private health insurance plan available in your state (full cost).

ROC VSC mailed 5/7/14

NOA1 5/9

Check cashed 5/14

Biometrics current

RFE dated 12/18

RFE mailed 1/20

Approved 2/2 ! ( letter came from the local office)

Card received 2/17/15 !!!!

Be careful with healthcare.gov

I nearly purchased one from there, only to find out it covers doctors over 2 hours away. A bit far to drive if sick in my opinion.

Trying to speak with anyone over the phone is not much help. They all get confused if you say you are from overseas and don't have US based income yet, and then you don't get much further.

IR1 - Spouse VisaPetition I-130

Posted from Australia 05/24/2014

Email receipt received 06/09/2014

Paid from Bank 06/09/2014

Approved online update on case status 06/20/2014

Received NOA1 in the post 06/22/2014

NOA2 received in post 07/10/2014

NVC

Email from NVC 8/7/2014

AoS ready for paymentDS-261 submitted 8/8/2014

AoS Fee Paid 8/12/2014

AoS and IV scan date 10/25/2014

Checklist: 12/18/2014

Posted updated packet for checklist on 2/25/2015

Received by NVC 3/2/2015

Case Complete: 3/2/2015

Interview: 4/21/2015

Approved: 4/21/2014

POE: 6/2/2015<p>

I couldn't register my own account with my SSN because healthcare.gov just couldn't verify I exist. My husband somehow managed to just add me to his account since it only wanted to verify his existence, not mine. We're not eligible for subsidies because we rejected his employer's insurance (it's way too expensive to add me to it and the out of pocket costs were outrageous anyway) so it's costing us a pretty penny. We're going to downgrade to a bronze plan if I can't find work by the time open enrollment starts again.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.