noz

Passport renewal before interview

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. Such a great forum so full of information!

Here is my problem (I'll try to be brief). I'm a French citizen and my first passport was issued in France in 2009, valid for 10 years. In 2009 I left France and travelled a lot, my passport became full, got a new one made at the French embassy in Jakarta, travelled some more, got full again, got my current passport made again at the French embassy in Jakarta in 2013. Under French regulation you do not pay for a new passport if your previous passport is full, it is free to get a new one but the expiry date doesn't change, which means it will still expire in 2019.

For some reason my name has always been spelt slightly wrong, the last letter of my first name is supposed to be "é" but it is "ë" instead. This is how it's spelled on my birth certificate, my driver's licence, my national ID and my FIRST passport. However, both passports that were issued by the French embassy in Jakarta had my name spelled with an "é". At the time it didn't matter to me, I was actually happy that my name was finally spelled as my parents wanted it!

Now though, I am thinking that the consular officer doing my interview for the K1 visa might think my passport isn't valid since the name doesn't exactly match my birth certificate ("é" on my passport vs "ë" on my birth certificate).

I think I should get a new passport with my name matching my birth certificate. But this is where it gets more complicated...

I am now in France, but I'll be flying to the US in a couple days. We plan to send the I-129F while I am in the US (I'll stay 2 months and then fly home). On the I-129F there are questions (15a to 15h) about whether the fiance is currently in the US, and a passport number is asked.

This is where my real question is:

Is it going to be a problem if the passport number on the I-129F (with the name spelled wrong) is different from the one on the (new, corrected) passport I'll bring to the interview? Hope it makes sense!

Thanks for reading :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.