JoRu16

Filed as Single on the last 2 yrs tax return... already married.

20 posts in this topic

If you are providing more than half of their support, then they can qualify as dependents. How much do you pay toward their food, transportation, gasoline, utilities, clothing, mobile phones, medical bills, dental bills. There is a worksheet that can help you see if they qualify. http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#en_US_2014_publink1000171012

Thanks for the link. The utility bills are the only thing me and my brother share to pay. Everything else I provide. I guess they qualify as my dependents. Thank you again Nich-Nick.

281c4fr.jpgN-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE12-11-2014 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied) 01-02-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)01-06-2015 = N-400 packet delivered01-09-2015 = Check cashed01-17-2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01-07-2015)02-02-2015 = Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for 02-11-2015)02-12-2015 = In line for interview03-23-2015 = Interview Letter received (Interview set for 04-22-2015) 04-22-2015 = Interview completed --- = Oath letter received04-24-2015 = Oath Ceremony! I am a U.S Citizen! ♥♥♥ CR1/IR1 JOURNEY ♥♥♥

• Jun 02 2015: FILED I-130 petition
  • Jun 04 2015: NOA1
  • Jul 01 2015: NOA2 - USCIS APPROVED
  • Jul 10 2015: Case sent to NVC
  • Aug 04 2015: RECEIVED Welcome Letter from NVC
  • Aug 20 2015: SUBMIT DS-261 Choice of Agent online
  • Aug 24 2015: PAID AOS fee online
  • Sep 18 2015: SENT AOS and IV packets to NVC (No IV Invoice yet)
  • Sep 23 2015: Email received from NVC: Documents received (21-Sept-2015)
  • Sep 25 2015: PAID IV fee online
  • Oct 02 2015 : COMPLETED DS-260
  • Oct 23 2015 : RECEIVED email P4 interview letter from NVC
  • Nov 05 2015 : COMPLETED Medical at St. Lukes
  • Dec 04 2015: INTERVIEW Schedule at US Embassy Manila
Dec 08 2015: VISA ON-HAND!!

Jan 25 2016: FLIGHT TO US ?

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I filed single for two years before our interview this January despite being married. Per my wife, the only two items the interviewer seemed to care about were income and pictures of us together and with family. Nobody cared about the "single" tax status. Now that she has her SSN I need to learn how to go back and change that to "married filing jointly". Fun!

:ranting: Worst wishes to every US government entity involved in the process and the creation of the process. :devil:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is so distressing! Found out today that the IRS wil NOT accept "NRA" in place of an SSN or ITIN:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

"Effective January 1, 2013, the IRS has updated procedures that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes."

(halfway down the page this statement is word for word):

"IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA", 205c", "applied for", "NRA",& blanks, etc."

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This is so distressing! Found out today that the IRS wil NOT accept "NRA" in place of an SSN or ITIN:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/General-ITIN-Information

"Effective January 1, 2013, the IRS has updated procedures that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes."

(halfway down the page this statement is word for word):

"IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing "SSA", 205c", "applied for", "NRA",& blanks, etc."

This is well known by those of us on here for a few years. The IRS for many years (even before 2013) has not accepted returns when a taxpayer or dependent does not have an SSN or ITIN. This was because people were making up dependents, listing their pets as dependents, etc. Thus the requirements for an ITIN or SSN.

Seems to be a surprise to everyone who just brought a spouse over. Lots of people with this problem right now.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I m from bangladesh. We got married at 14 may 2015. My husband filled his tax return as single because i have no SSN and ITIN. My CR1 petition is in NVC. Will it harm to my immigration. Plz help. Thanks in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.