agc522

Attorney Negligence: Need advice, didn't follow process(merged)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The attorney filed the I-130 11/1/13, we received a RFE 5/5/14 - requesting documentation for my husband's divorce decree, the attorney submitted only the back page of the divorce decree with no translation, so this set us back 30 days to straighten this matter. Then he filed the online DS-260 8/18/14 and the NVC sent a RFE on 9/11/14 for all of the documentation including I-864, birth certificates, etc. Apparently the attorney submitted the documents electronically which should not have been done because the beginning of the case number started with CDJ and only to mail the documents. Then 12/1/14 the NVC sent a request for evidence for the joint sponsor requesting her "total income" instead of just her "individual income" in part 6, line 13.a., which it clearly states the total from your "federal income tax return." Well, we then signed, scanned, emailed these documents to the attorney as he requested and NOW, the NVC has requested on 2/24/15 the original signatures on the I-864 which it clearly states in the instructions of filling out this form. He has blown all of these errors off such as the fault of the USCIS/NVC and this is common. But from what I have researched an immigration attorney should know how to submit this paperwork. All of the small errors as he has said has caused us a delay of 6.5 months, this 6.5 months our family could have been together instead of now STILL WAITING. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? Has this happened to anyone else?

The attorney filed the I-130 11/1/13, we received a RFE 5/5/14 - requesting documentation for my husband's divorce decree, the attorney submitted only the back page of the divorce decree with no translation, so this set us back 30 days to straighten this matter. Then he filed the online DS-260 8/18/14 and the NVC sent a RFE on 9/11/14 for all of the documentation including I-864, birth certificates, etc. Apparently the attorney submitted the documents electronically which should not have been done because the beginning of the case number started with CDJ and only to mail the documents. Then 12/1/14 the NVC sent a request for evidence for the joint sponsor requesting her "total income" instead of just her "individual income" in part 6, line 13.a., which it clearly states the total from your "federal income tax return." Well, we then signed, scanned, emailed these documents to the attorney as he requested and NOW, the NVC has requested on 2/24/15 the original signatures on the I-864 which it clearly states in the instructions of filling out this form. He has blown all of these errors off such as the fault of the USCIS/NVC and this is common. But from what I have researched an immigration attorney should know how to submit this paperwork. All of the small errors as he has said has caused us a delay of 6.5 months, this 6.5 months our family could have been together instead of now STILL WAITING. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this situation? Has this happened to anyone else?

Fire the attorney and do it yourself.

Filed: Country: Israel
Timeline

There is nothing you can do about the mistakes he made. However, you can try going through your state's arbitration services to try and recoup the fees. If that doesn't work, then sue him for malpractice. I'd also refer the lawyer to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct under the Bar Association.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/model_rules_of_professional_conduct_preamble_scope.html

Fire him and dispute the fees.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not just fire him and dispute fees. Report him to the BAR.

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

There is nothing you can do about the mistakes he made. However, you can try going through your state's arbitration services to try and recoup the fees. If that doesn't work, then sue him for malpractice. I'd also refer the lawyer to the Model Rules of Professional Conduct under the Bar Association.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/model_rules_of_professional_conduct_preamble_scope.html

Fire him and dispute the fees.

I agree....our attorney also forgot to include in the K1 Visa 129f application that we will get married within 90 days. We got an RFE which delayed by 1 month.

THEN after my fiance got here we elected not to use him. He gave incorrect information that my fiance would not be able to work for a year until the GC comes which is totally incorrect. He also advised us incorrectly the same thing with theSocial Security Card.

We decided to do it ourselves and it was fine

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

my advice -

submit an invoice back to the attorney for partial refund of fees paid due to errors and negligence.

then, after 45 days of non-payment, take him to small-claims court.

finally, file a complaint with the state bar association.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

my advice -

submit an invoice back to the attorney for partial refund of fees paid due to errors and negligence.

AGREED completely!

You have been ripped off and your process has been delayed due to this selfish person's negligence.

Get this person off your filing so that you can move forward on your own and correct all their mistakes. Only YOU care as much about your case as is needed to get through this effectively. Take your time. Clean it up. You can do it!!

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Utter incompetence. Definitely dispute the fees. In Nevada, it goes to arbritration and an attorney hear's both sides. If your attorney has any self respect he will return all monies to you at arbritration or sooner to get this resolved.

I have had a similar experience with an ignorant immigration attorney. She told me that my assests alone was enough and that I did not need a joint sponsor. Even though I had no income, no work history. When my wife got her interview date, the ignorant immigration attorney said that was a "good sign". I thought to myself, this attorney is clueless. As expected, the U.S. consular refused the visa saying I needed a joint sponsor.

Timeline

Utter incompetence. Definitely dispute the fees. In Nevada, it goes to arbritration and an attorney hear's both sides. If your attorney has any self respect he will return all monies to you at arbritration or sooner to get this resolved.

I have had a similar experience with an ignorant immigration attorney. She told me that my assests alone was enough and that I did not need a joint sponsor. Even though I had no income, no work history. When my wife got her interview date, the ignorant immigration attorney said that was a "good sign". I thought to myself, this attorney is clueless. As expected, the U.S. consular refused the visa saying I needed a joint sponsor.

I definitely want to dispute the fees, I did pay him to do one job and that was "paperwork" and that couldn't even be done right.... I am worried about our interview as well, trying to do all the research I can to ensure it goes well. I also want to sue him, his mistakes has cost me 6.5 months of not being with my family, I just don't see how this is fair, I knew this was going to be a long process and a hard process but he has taken time out of my life with my family, how can you even put a price on this.. Anyone ever sued an attorney for such a thing?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

my advice -

The law does not work that way. You can not unilaterally send a bill and then sue for nonpayment. The case would be tossed. The OP can sue for for failure to provide service under the engagement agreement if there is no arbitration clause. The OP can not sue for the made-up bill.

Furthermore, most if not all attorneys have arbitration clause in their contracts.

The best way to get a refund is the threat of being reported to the local and state bars. That's the leverage that gets real world results.

Timeline

I definitely want to dispute the fees, I did pay him to do one job and that was "paperwork" and that couldn't even be done right.... I am worried about our interview as well, trying to do all the research I can to ensure it goes well. I also want to sue him, his mistakes has cost me 6.5 months of not being with my family, I just don't see how this is fair, I knew this was going to be a long process and a hard process but he has taken time out of my life with my family, how can you even put a price on this.. Anyone ever sued an attorney for such a thing?

Hi,

Check your agreement with the lawyer. Is there an arbitration clause? If yes, then you can not sue. You must go through arbitration.

Tell the attorney that you want a refund. If he does not want to give you one, then tell him you will report him to the local and state bars. This is not a threat. Do not make it a threat. Just tell him that it is within your rights to ask for a refund for failure to provide adequate legal services under the agreement, and a failure to negotiate a settlement means you can pursue other legal remedies. Do not elaborate.

Timeline

Hi,

Check your agreement with the lawyer. Is there an arbitration clause? If yes, then you can not sue. You must go through arbitration.

Tell the attorney that you want a refund. If he does not want to give you one, then tell him you will report him to the local and state bars. This is not a threat. Do not make it a threat. Just tell him that it is within your rights to ask for a refund for failure to provide adequate legal services under the agreement, and a failure to negotiate a settlement means you can pursue other legal remedies. Do not elaborate.

I never signed an agreement? Only have the invoice...

Timeline

I never signed an agreement? Only have the invoice...

Since there is no agreement, you can sue for him for failure to provide adequate services.

As a practical way to get your money back, small claims court is going to cost you more in time and effort than an agreement for a refund. Use the threat to his law career as a negotiation tool. That is your best realistic way of getting a refund since no attorney wants a public record of being disciplined by the legal bars.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

My Attorney made several mistakes on our case, costing us about 8 months of not moving, all the way up to the time of the interview, he gave us false information. I want to sue him for the fees charged. Do I sue him personally or can I go through the Bar Association to do this, will they help me? I have evidence of all of the times he messed up our case and gave false information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Similar thread merged. Please do not make a separate thread for related discussion.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.