mervin338

Does Social Security office issue card # on the spot?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the social security office was supposed to issue you a number at the time of application? The office I went to today refused to do that. They said they have no way of knowing what card number would be assigned, and that I'd have to wait 10 days for the physical card, with the number to be issued. Am I wrong to think otherwise?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Working and Traveling During US Immigration to SSN forum~

~Inquiry about SSN~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

You'll get your SS card in the mail. The number is not assigned on the spot.

Thanks for the response. I guess I was mistaken. Though I thought I'd read other people claim they were issued a number immediately, but waited for the physical card to be mailed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello. I'm sorry, my response is totally unrelated to the topic, but I just wanted to ask how do I post a question? I mean to start a new thread. I've been looking for it, but all I could find is "More Reply Options"...Thank you in advance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the social security office was supposed to issue you a number at the time of application? The office I went to today refused to do that. They said they have no way of knowing what card number would be assigned, and that I'd have to wait 10 days for the physical card, with the number to be issued. Am I wrong to think otherwise?

You apply. They send off the application to the main office. The main office assigns the SSN and mails it out to you. You can go back after a few days and request a printout of the number--we did this because the USPS returned my wife's SSC because her name was not on the mailbox. So we went in to see why she had not received her card and had them mail it to the local office and got a printout of the number.

Dave

Timeline

You apply. They send off the application to the main office. The main office assigns the SSN and mails it out to you. You can go back after a few days and request a printout of the number--we did this because the USPS returned my wife's SSC because her name was not on the mailbox. So we went in to see why she had not received her card and had them mail it to the local office and got a printout of the number.

Dave

That's some very good advice. I might do that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello. I'm sorry, my response is totally unrelated to the topic, but I just wanted to ask how do I post a question? I mean to start a new thread. I've been looking for it, but all I could find is "More Reply Options"...Thank you in advance.

Go to the particular forum where you want to post your inquiry. Look at the upper right hand side of the viewing pane for the "Start New Topic" button. Click on it and start your new thread, don't forget to include a topic title. When you are through composing your question. click on the "Post New Topic" button located at the bottom center of the viewing pane.

:ot:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go to the particular forum where you want to post your inquiry. Look at the upper right hand side of the viewing pane for the "Start New Topic" button. Click on it and start your new thread, don't forget to include a topic title. When you are through composing your question. click on the "Post New Topic" button located at the bottom center of the viewing pane.

:ot:

Thank you very much for your reply, you are a great help. I found it now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Unfortunately, they are right. You will get it in the mail very soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.