User007

Build credit from 0

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hello!

We would like to know if it is possible for me (the non U.S. citizen) to apply for a secured card to start build my credit.

My husband applied for my aos so I'm not a resident.

I have a ssn and my husband has added me on his bank account.

Can I apply now or I must wait for the green card?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can certainly start with a secured credit card to build your credit. Until you get a green card, lenders may be reluctant to issue you one. Each lender has its own rules. You will have to check with each lender to see if they will issue you credit before getting your green card.

Other things that can help you establish credit;

1. Utilities. Get your name on those bills and pay them off.

2. Home rental contacts.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

You can certainly start with a secured credit card to build your credit. Until you get a green card, lenders may be reluctant to issue you one. Each lender has its own rules. You will have to check with each lender to see if they will issue you credit before getting your green card.

Other things that can help you establish credit;

1. Utilities. Get your name on those bills and pay them off.

2. Home rental contacts.

https://m.firstprogress.com/application/p/1

I want to apply for this one but says "u must be a us residence"

Is there any bank u can recommend for us?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

https://m.firstprogress.com/application/p/1

I want to apply for this one but says "u must be a us residence"

Is there any bank u can recommend for us?

If the band requires you to have US residency and you don't have it, then you don't qualify.

I don't know of any bank that will extend credit to you. You will have to check on your own.

Timeline

If the band requires you to have US residency and you don't have it, then you don't qualify.

I don't know of any bank that will extend credit to you. You will have to check on your own.

We can't really find any. Capital one chase etc they ask for U.S. residency that's why I opened this topic. To see if u can really do it . Cause I don't see any bank allow it

We can't really find any. Capital one chase etc they ask for U.S. residency that's why I opened this topic. To see if u can really do it . Cause I don't see any bank allow it

My husband tried to get one for me. He has a very good credit score - above 800- but even so the bank refused to issued for me unless I became LPR. Even when he tried to open bank account for me, the bank asked W-8 BEN. Most of banks refused to issued a credit card if you are still transitioning to became LPR.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Timeline

My husband tried to get one for me. He has a very good credit score - above 800- but even so the bank refused to issued for me unless I became LPR. Even when he tried to open bank account for me, the bank asked W-8 BEN. Most of banks refused to issued a credit card if you are still transitioning to became LPR.

Was he able to add u on his accounts?

My husband did. I have my own card but is the same account.

Was he able to add u on his accounts?

My husband did. I have my own card but is the same account.

Yes, but we had to send them W-8 BEN. Did the bank ask you this form?

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

Yes, but we had to send them W-8 BEN. Did the bank ask you this form?

They didn't ask anything else except my passport my ssn and the little card that was attached with the ssn that says the home address (evidence of residence)

They didn't ask anything else except my passport my ssn and the little card that was attached with the ssn that says the home address (evidence of residence)

Oh I see. Each bank has their own requirement. Better to try apply for department store card like Sears. They do always offer and see if they will accepted yours without a green card.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

Oh I see. Each bank has their own requirement. Better to try apply for department store card like Sears. They do always offer and see if they will accepted yours without a green card.

Can I do that?

Is it gonna help establish credit?

Can I do that?

Yes, as long as it is a credit card. It will helps to build your credit score.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Can I do that?

Read this:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/store-credit-card-good-deal-1.aspx

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Filed: Timeline

Have him add you as an authorized user on his card. Even if he cuts up the card, it will start spooling the trade line to the 3 major bureaus and you will appear to have developing credit.

This also lets you show a much larger line that you are likely to have with a securitized card.

If your husband does not have the credit, then ask him to have a family member add you to a clean decent sized credit line as authorized user, give them the social, when the family member gets the card. Activate it .. then cut it in half. They don't have to give it to you. You just want the credit report to show the activity.

After about 6 months of that nice Authorized User revolving spool, consider adding a store card. You can bypass the entire secured credit card game.

Remember that many utilities will pull (whether soft or hard pull) but few actually spool a trade line as a Credit Card or Card Lease would.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.