Sakr and Nana

Planning on getting married in Egypt on May. Need help and advice!!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everybody!

My fiance and I are planning on getting married on May (right after 90 days of my divorce). I was trying to schedule appointment online in Cairo US Embassy but nothing is open yet. I am worried if I will buy a fly ticket and will be not able to get an appointment. I can stay in Egypt only 4 weeks. We were planning to go to the Embassy next day after my arrival. I worry if 4 weeks will be not enough to finish everything.

Also, I am Christian and was baptized long time ago. There is no way for me to get any letter from that Church. I do not know what to do.

Thank you so much for your time. I will appreciate any advice.

It is my understanding that it is very difficult to get married in Egypt. Some sort of certificate from the US Embassy stating you are able to be married is actually required there I believe...but even then the Egyptian gov't might deny the marriage. I think you could give it a try, but would not be disappointed if it did not happen. I also understand that the visa process is also very difficult there.

I would look into getting married in another country....and doing the visa in another country as well. Good luck.

Timeline

Getting married in Egypt is not too hard if you do your homework. http://egypt.usembassy.gov/acs12.html has all you need to get started. I wouldn't book any flights til you make sure you can get an appt at the Embassy.

As a general outline (please see my link for details), you basically have to get the Marriage Affidavit at the US Embassy, get that stamped at the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then go get married at the Ministry of Justice. These are the only steps that require you to be there.

After that you need to have the marriage contract from the Ministry of Justice translated and then stamped again by the US Embassy saying they accept the translation. This doesn't happen the day of the wedding. I think it took a week or two for us to get the translation back and another appt. The Egyptian citizen can do both these steps, you don't have to be in Egypt, however you will still probably be there during that time.

It took us 2 days to get married in Cairo in Jan 2014.

EDIT: As far as your concerns about Church/Baptismal records, someone else will probably have better information for you. All I can say is for when I got married at the Ministry of Justice, in the case of a Christian woman marrying a Muslim man, I didn't have to show any church records. If your respective religions are different or if you plan on having a church wedding, it may be different.

Edited by IslAmy

Petitioner: U.S. Citizen living in U.S. Beneficiary: Egyptian Citizen living in Egypt Seychelles United States!

Visa type: CR-1

01-06-14 Married

03-21-14 Priority Date (Nebraska Service Center)

03-25-14 NOA1

08-26-14 Approved! 5 months, 5 days

09-04-14 shipped to NVC per USCIS website

10-09-14 NVC "received"

10-28-14 Case #

10-30-14 DS261/AOS fee

12-02-14 IV fee

12-03-14 Sent Package

01-30-15 Case Complete! 5 months at NVC with no checklists

03-25-15 Received Interview Letter, date is 05/14/15

05-14-15 Interview Result: APPROVED!

06-08-15 25 days later...CEAC finally shows READY

06-11-15 Visa in Hand

06-15-15 POE in Philadelphia

Total Time from Sending Petition to Visa in Hand: 14 months, 3 weeks

Currently in I-751 ROC and N-400 Citizenship processes.  See Timeline for Details.

Timeline

When my husband and I went to the Embassy in Cairo I brought my divorce paperst1940.gif.We had to fill out some paper work than someone spoke with us about how we met and blah blah and than he gave us permission to marryt5519.gif.I was divorced since Jan 2002.It wont look good since your divorce will be still fresh and you have a fiance and married still. Egyptian Embassy is hard and sometimes a very long process.Believe me alot of us Married in Egypt went through long AP's ours was 9 months with alot of heartaches inbetweenm1507.gif.But in the end we are happy and TOGETHER t4712.gif.My advice is to research and find the best options or someone on VJ been through this and can help you.I have a friend who was in the same situation as you.If you like to message me you can.I wish you and yours the best t69037.gif

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Timeline

It is my understanding that it is very difficult to get married in Egypt. Some sort of certificate from the US Embassy stating you are able to be married is actually required there I believe...but even then the Egyptian gov't might deny the marriage. I think you could give it a try, but would not be disappointed if it did not happen. I also understand that the visa process is also very difficult there.

I would look into getting married in another country....and doing the visa in another country as well. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

How can I can we marry and do visa in another country? I never heard about it.

Timeline

Getting married in Egypt is not too hard if you do your homework. http://egypt.usembassy.gov/acs12.html has all you need to get started. I wouldn't book any flights til you make sure you can get an appt at the Embassy.

As a general outline (please see my link for details), you basically have to get the Marriage Affidavit at the US Embassy, get that stamped at the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then go get married at the Ministry of Justice. These are the only steps that require you to be there.

After that you need to have the marriage contract from the Ministry of Justice translated and then stamped again by the US Embassy saying they accept the translation. This doesn't happen the day of the wedding. I think it took a week or two for us to get the translation back and another appt. The Egyptian citizen can do both these steps, you don't have to be in Egypt, however you will still probably be there during that time.

It took us 2 days to get married in Cairo in Jan 2014.

EDIT: As far as your concerns about Church/Baptismal records, someone else will probably have better information for you. All I can say is for when I got married at the Ministry of Justice, in the case of a Christian woman marrying a Muslim man, I didn't have to show any church records. If your respective religions are different or if you plan on having a church wedding, it may be different.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I hope it will be not problem for us to marry in Egypt. I have been living in the USA for 15 year and 6 year I am an american citizen.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to MENA regional forum; topic is about marriage procedures in Egypt and not a US spousal visa case status update.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 2 months later...
Timeline

I was married in Aug 2014 in Alexandria. I dont know that I would have been able to do it without my husband having a good idea of where we needed to go and what we needed. It took us 3 tries at the Justice to finally have everything correct.

My interview was scheduled at the embassy and it was fairly harmless but the CO asked me lots of basic questions about why I wanted to marry H and how long we were dating and why so soon cuz at that time we had known each other for only a few months. He signed off on the form but there was an error on the form. I went into the embassy alone and had to find someone to write out the Arabic part of the form and they made an error. That error almost cost us not being able to be married.

We than had to get my medical ok and that went quickly. At another building I remember having to into an office for a stamp on my passport. Again I went alone and was granted the 6 month stamp. I know other people were turned down because they came with their fiance. Have no idea why it works out that way.

The second day at the Justice we were not allowed to marry because they said I had to have a translator. I do not know much Arabic so I appreciated that they insisted on me having one. On the third day we had all our ducks in a row and the translator so we were able to get married. They made so many copies of the marriage license but I was glad to have my own copy because I needed it several times here in the US to show proof of marriage.

Our timeline from the Embassy to being married took about a week of crazy rushing around but we managed.

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.