Lipquick

Want to bring my thai girlfriend to visit USA for 2 months...

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have lived in Thailand for about 6 years on a non immigrant b visa. I go back to usa every year to work and visit for 2 months. How can i bring my girlfriend along for the next trip to meet my family and friends? Unfortunately I have no verifiable income...

Timeline

Ok but if she applies for a tourist visa...and it is noted in truth..she has a bf...is going to meet her bf's family...how does that pan out? Neither of us want to stay permenantly in the states...we have our life in thailand.

It probably pans out with her not getting a B-2 visa.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok but if she applies for a tourist visa...and it is noted in truth..she has a bf...is going to meet her bf's family...how does that pan out? Neither of us want to stay permenantly in the states...we have our life in thailand.

The most likely scenario is you'll be flying solo.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have lived in Thailand for about 6 years on a non immigrant b visa. I go back to usa every year to work and visit for 2 months. How can i bring my girlfriend along for the next trip to meet my family and friends? Unfortunately I have no verifiable income...

You cant bring her along. She applies for a tourist visa on her own merits. Your income or status has zero to do with her application. Tourist visas are very difficult to obtain from Thailand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She uses her own income and savings.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Also...from all I have read ~ Having a boyfriend who is a U.S citizen could possibly hurt her chances of getting the Tourist Visa. She will need to show very strong ties to Thailand and she may not want to mention you. It will help a lot if she A. Has a house or property in her name. B. Has full time employment in Thailand that could write a letter stating they will give her time off to visit. C. Has a child who will stay in Thailand. D. Has a healthy Thai bank account.

If you were to get married in Thailand and you can show your residency here it is then possible for her to apply for a tourist visa...but you will both have to show your strong ties to Thailand for her to qualify.

Think of it this way. There are a lot of people who overstay there visas in the U.S...get work and stay. She has to prove to them that she has a reason to return to Thailand or they are not going to give her the visa. Sad but true. Probably 90% of my Thai friends ( a lot of Artists) would not qualify for a U.S tourist visa. This is not a free world. It doesn't seem fair that we can come here so easily and it's not reciprocated...but that's how it is.

Timeline

Also...from all I have read ~ Having a boyfriend who is a U.S citizen could possibly hurt her chances of getting the Tourist Visa. She will need to show very strong ties to Thailand and she may not want to mention you. It will help a lot if she A. Has a house or property in her name. B. Has full time employment in Thailand that could write a letter stating they will give her time off to visit. C. Has a child who will stay in Thailand. D. Has a healthy Thai bank account.

If you were to get married in Thailand and you can show your residency here it is then possible for her to apply for a tourist visa...but you will both have to show your strong ties to Thailand for her to qualify.

Think of it this way. There are a lot of people who overstay there visas in the U.S...get work and stay. She has to prove to them that she has a reason to return to Thailand or they are not going to give her the visa. Sad but true. Probably 90% of my Thai friends ( a lot of Artists) would not qualify for a U.S tourist visa. This is not a free world. It doesn't seem fair that we can come here so easily and it's not reciprocated...but that's how it is.

Having the material things you describe doesn't help much in obtaining a tourist visa from Thailand. I qualified for all of that but was denied 3 times.

Being married will actually ensure the denial. The ties are to the husband.

Fair? You mean its easy to go to Thailand as a tourist? Yes if you are a farang because they know you aren't going to stay. Even if you do there are many laws to make sure you cant work.

The USA has a long history of visa abuse and fraud with the issuance of tourist visas from Thailand. Today people have to live with the level of freedom we were born with in Thailand which is far from what we enjoy in the USA. Thailand still suffers from corruption that affects every aspect of lives in Thailand and that corruption is woven into every thread of life for every person.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Having the material things you describe doesn't help much in obtaining a tourist visa from Thailand. I qualified for all of that but was denied 3 times.

Being married will actually ensure the denial. The ties are to the husband.

Fair? You mean its easy to go to Thailand as a tourist? Yes if you are a farang because they know you aren't going to stay. Even if you do there are many laws to make sure you cant work.

The USA has a long history of visa abuse and fraud with the issuance of tourist visas from Thailand. Today people have to live with the level of freedom we were born with in Thailand which is far from what we enjoy in the USA. Thailand still suffers from corruption that affects every aspect of lives in Thailand and that corruption is woven into every thread of life for every person.

"Being Married will ensure the denial" is not exactly true. There are many examples of expats on retirement visa's, well established teachers, people with companies in Thailand, etc. who have lived in Thailand for a long time and have Thai wifes. They have their residency in Thailand, not the U.S. Their wifes have been able to obtain tourist visas. There are many cases of this on Thai Visa. When it doesn't work is when your spouse is a U.S resident and you get married. She will either A. not receive a tourist visa or B. risk being turned away at POE because her ties are stronger to her husband who is a U.S citizen and they believe she will stay in the U.S. Since the OP stated in his post he's been here for 6 years and they plan to stay in Thailand I figured he may want to know if he gets himself better established here they may have a chance down the road if they were to marry.

It's my experience that most people in the U.S don't realize that the whole world doesn't have the same freedom to travel as freely as U.S/ Canadian or EU / Australia / N.Z. Most people are surprised that people from Thailand, Nepal, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. all have a tough time obtaining tourist visas to the U.S. Corruption is another story all together. Big problem. But the U.S has big problems too with "big money" Corporations/ Pharma etc. controlling government and the direction of the country. That too affects every aspect of lives in the U.S. It really doesn't have much to do with the U.S Visa process (Thai corrruption) Unless of course, you're trying to stay in Thailand... then you have to watch the rule changes closely especially under the current political / military situation. As I split my time between the two countries I'm not really sure which side U.S or Thailand is the lesser of the two evils? I'll let you know in another 10 yrs.

Filed: Timeline

I have met 100's of Expats there whose wives had their tourist visas.

Thailand has one of the LOWEST DENIAL RATES for B2 visas .

Some people here had bad experiences, mean CO, etc, etc. and are trying to make you think that denial is more common.

What you hear about this often relates to the types of groups you associate with. Sounds all discriminatory, but the CO's know where the most

common issues are based on a variety of factors they observe. Don't think province, education, style of dress, articulation level, profession, etc. don't play in.

There are groups that says its hard and groups that say its easy. Each group has certain features. The data says EASY. Much lower denial rate than many other

countries with similar average per capita incomes.

Just let her take a trip with her friends and family and maybe you can meet up with her a little while when she is already here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration to Tourist Visas forum; similar subjects from posters in similar situations are usually discussed here.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

"Being Married will ensure the denial" is not exactly true. There are many examples of expats on retirement visa's, well established teachers, people with companies in Thailand, etc. who have lived in Thailand for a long time and have Thai wifes. They have their residency in Thailand, not the U.S. Their wifes have been able to obtain tourist visas. There are many cases of this on Thai Visa. When it doesn't work is when your spouse is a U.S resident and you get married. She will either A. not receive a tourist visa or B. risk being turned away at POE because her ties are stronger to her husband who is a U.S citizen and they believe she will stay in the U.S. Since the OP stated in his post he's been here for 6 years and they plan to stay in Thailand I figured he may want to know if he gets himself better established here they may have a chance down the road if they were to marry.

It's my experience that most people in the U.S don't realize that the whole world doesn't have the same freedom to travel as freely as U.S/ Canadian or EU / Australia / N.Z. Most people are surprised that people from Thailand, Nepal, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. all have a tough time obtaining tourist visas to the U.S. Corruption is another story all together. Big problem. But the U.S has big problems too with "big money" Corporations/ Pharma etc. controlling government and the direction of the country. That too affects every aspect of lives in the U.S. It really doesn't have much to do with the U.S Visa process (Thai corrruption) Unless of course, you're trying to stay in Thailand... then you have to watch the rule changes closely especially under the current political / military situation. As I split my time between the two countries I'm not really sure which side U.S or Thailand is the lesser of the two evils? I'll let you know in another 10 yrs.

I am giving my opinion to the O P. I am trying to throw a blanket over the subject. I know Thais get B 2 s. But not one of them is the O P nor has a situation that mirrors his.

Myself and my husband entered the US embassy in BKK related to visa issues about 8 times. During those visits we talked directly with the C Os about 6 times. I know what they told us. I know what happened in my case and many others.

I didn't have time to interview most people as you seem to have done. I can hardly wait for the ten years to pass.

Timeline

Thank you for all your considerate replies. So i guess i can claim residency as i am on my 4th non imm b visa in thailand. My gf is a 4th year university student. She has no money or job or place...she lives with me. I wonder 2 things...1. My spanish friends situation...does it correlate. He easily took his gf to spain on a 3 week holiday. One crucial requirement was a document from police stating his parents had a home in spain, they would be staying there, and they(his parents) would assume all responsibilities for her as a guest. And 2. Ning...after 8 VISITS to the US embassy with the CO...have you been denied a tourist visa...and what details dis the CO tell you? My feeling now is she applies for a B2...as we are not married or engaged it is the lawful way...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.