lifeintheus

Filing I-485 after visitor visa expires question

23 posts in this topic

This can't be right. Because then why would anyone from a country that can travel on the visa waiver programme bother to apply and pay for a K1 visa and wait an average of 8 months just so they can come back to the US to marry a US citizen? I don't think you can adjust from the visa waiver programme.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

No you're wong. An alien admitted into the U.S and inspected by a CBP officer can adjust status of married to a U.S. Citizen. The only tricky part is that of intent meaning the alien must not have secured the non immigrant visa or use the visa waiver program as a means to come and get married to adjust. However most adjustments are approved since that intent line is a very grey area as the intentions of most people change once they arrive and decide to marry their partners. That's why many are advised not to adjust early once they just arrive as that could be considered fraud. Majority use the K1 process because that's the legal and right way to do it.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This can't be right. Because then why would anyone from a country that can travel on the visa waiver programme bother to apply and pay for a K1 visa and wait an average of 8 months just so they can come back to the US to marry a US citizen? I don't think you can adjust from the visa waiver programme.

Yes, they can.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks Aaron, yes I wanted to wait until after March 30th as then it is not mandatory to get the flu vaccine for the medical exam. If it was going to be an issue I could get the vaccine but I'd prefer not to. Can you think of any legitimate way I could avoid getting the vaccination?

I am on the ESTA visa waver program so they did not give me an I-94 on this visit to the US.

You can wait and file the I-693 later, either when you get an RFE for it, or take it to your interview with you.

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693 in one of the following ways:

• Submit Form I-693 by mail, together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see “Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485”).
  • Submit Form I-693 by mail, after filing your Form I-485, to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).
  • Submit Form I-693 in person, at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

http://www.uscis.gov/i-693

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You may want to do some research.

The OP can certainly adjust from the VWP based on the law and experience of many posters.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To be clear you really should file before your VWP expires. Once you file you are deemed an "intending immigrant" until then you are still a tourist. To make the process as easy as possible don't file your application late. In my opinion you should get the vaccine (I know it sucks) and file on time. Cheers!

Head on over to Love Marry Stay to read my ebook

The definitive guide to falling in love, marrying and staying in the U.S.A

img-resize.png

This ebook details every stage of the visa journey, every form that needs to be filled out, signed and filed. I tried to answer every question I may have asked on this journey no matter how glaringly obvious it may be. I wanted to gather all the good information dispersed among the misinformation into one simple guide.

You are running in circles. Stop being so paranoid. How many times and in how many different ways do you want me to say, THERE ARE NO CONSEQUENCES SINCE YOUR OVERSTAY WOULD BE FORGIVEN WHEN YOU ADJUST BASED ON YOUR MARRIAGE TO A US CITIZEN?

Your record is your record. Getting a green card does not erase it. There is just no consequences from your overstay once you get the green card.

----

Turn off your computer. Go hug your wife. Stop worrying about overstaying. Things are good.

Tough Love Brother :devil:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They should get the I-94 which they are going to need in some of the forms. Search on google I-94 Retrieval. You just have to fill the form with your personal details such passport, date of entry, port of entry (Airport).

---------------------------------- AOS ---------------------------------------------------------

February 28, 2015: AOS Packet Sent via FedEX to Chicago Lockbox: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131.

DAY 19 - March 21, 2015: NOA for Biometrics Appointment scheduled on 04/01/2015

DAY 77 - May 19, 2015: EAD and AP has been approved "We ordered your new card"

DAY 84 - May 26, 2015: We mailed your EAD to the address you gave us/USPS picked up the Card

DAY 85 - May 27, 2015: Interview Scheduled for June 29, 2015.

** May 29: Traveled with my AP back to my country and came back three weeks after with no problems Click here to ready the report **

DAY 117 - June 29, 2015: Had our interview. Approved on the spot.

DAY 124 - July 6, 2015: Welcome noticed received.

DAY 134 - July 16, 2015: Green Card delivered to my home by USPS - END OF AOS -

---------------------------------- ROC ---------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1 - April 7, 2017: Sent I-751 to CSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.