Mr. Big Dog

Court weighs overturning gay marriage bans in three southern states

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana - this will be fun to watch. They might end up doing what some counties here in FL currently do - not marry anyone at all. You know, like the segregationists back in the day that rather closed the schools than allow a black kid in. Discrimination at any cost. But overall, it's just amusing to see the dead-enders squirm.

On the upside, Rick Perry will likely soon be able to finally marry his still secret boyfriend.

Court weighs overturning gay marriage bans in three southern states

(Reuters) - A U.S. federal appeals court on Friday appeared receptive to arguments in favor of striking down same-sex marriage bans in the conservative southern states of Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Two of three judges on a 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel in New Orleans expressed skepticism over the bans, with Judge Patrick Higginbotham noting a "sea change" on opinion over gay rights in recent decades and questioning why states wanting to incentivize procreation would allow sterile opposite-sex couples but not same-sex couples to marry.

After it was noted that Mississippi was unlikely to change its position on gay marriage in the near future, Higginbotham, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan, appeared to reference that state's history of racism.

"The words 'will Mississippi change its mind?' have resonated in these halls before," he said.

Judge James Graves, an appointee of President Barack Obama, also expressed discomfort with the bans in pointed questions to attorneys defending them, while Judge Jerry Smith, a Reagan appointee, cited precedent guiding the court to uphold the bans despite the likelihood of some people being harmed by them.

Four regional federal appeals courts have struck down gay marriage bans following a Supreme Court decision in June 2013 expanding federal recognition of same-sex marriages, while the Cincinnati-based 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in November upheld bans in four states.

That ruling created a split among appeals courts and increased the likelihood the U.S. Supreme Court will take up the matter during the current term ending in June.

The Supreme Court met privately on Friday and took no action on five pending cases that could lead to an overarching ruling on whether states may ban gay marriage. The high court could still decide to hear the cases in the current term.

Proponents of the bans argue that states have the right to decide who can marry and that it is in the states' interests to promote marriage between a man and a woman.

U.S. district judges in Texas and Mississippi last year ruled those states' bans on gay marriage unconstitutional because they denied the couples equal protection under the law. Enforcement of those decisions are on hold pending the appeals.

In September, a U.S. district judge upheld Louisiana's gay marriage ban.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh man, I hope this moves fast. It would be nice to be married to my wife by the time I live there.

(note: I am married. To my wife. But the state of Texas chooses to stick its fingers in its ears and sing the sesame street theme rather than pay any mind to my marriage certificate)

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Oh man, I hope this moves fast. It would be nice to be married to my wife by the time I live there.

(note: I am married. To my wife. But the state of Texas chooses to stick its fingers in its ears and sing the sesame street theme rather than pay any mind to my marriage certificate)

My uncle and his partner of 25 years gave up waiting on Texas last year and got hitched in DC last year. It was something my sainted and sadly departed Texan grandmother had wanted to see for a long time.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

My uncle and his partner of 25 years gave up waiting on Texas last year and got hitched in DC last year. It was something my sainted and sadly departed Texan grandmother had wanted to see for a long time.

I'm sorry she didn't get to see it.

We ended up eloping to Boston for our marriage.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

Timeline

see, the terrorists are winning.

I know how they are doing it : "Gay Bomb"

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/10/the-us-military-once-proposed-a-gay-bomb/

One doesn’t commonly associate the slogan “make love not war” with the US military. Indeed, the United States military is feared and formidable precisely because it has proven so effective at conceptualising clever and innovative ways to search, find and destroy, often with the simple push of a button. However, in a departure from these hostile traditions, in 1994 the Wright Laboratory, part of the US Air Force, produced a three page proposal for a “gay bomb”.

Documentation obtained by the Sunshine Project, an anti-biological weapons non-governmental organisation, found that the Ohio-based Wright Lab requested a six-year, $US7.5 million grant to create a variety of non-lethal weapons. The bluntly titled project, called “Harassing, Annoying and ‘Bad Guy’ Identifying Chemicals” reads like a bawdy proposal penned by a Bond Villian- Auric Goldfinger perhaps?

It proposed a bomb “that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soldiers to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistibly attractive to one another”. While the laboratory also came up with similarly questionable ideas, such as bad-breath bombs, flatulence bombs and bombs designed to attract swarms of stinging insects to enemy combatants, one has to admit that the gay bomb is certainly the most novel.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Timeline

Good time for that keystone pipeline

Hey, troll, what up? What's this got to do with anything in this thread?

March 13, 2014 Married!

Hey, troll, what up? What's this got to do with anything in this thread?

Haters gonna hate.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I hope Texas never allows Gay Marriage

I hope that fuzzy kittens sit on every desk I ever see and yawn at me adorably, asking for petting.

It looks like we're both going to be disappointed.

March 13, 2014 Married!