simanonymous

Naturalization after good faith marriage waiver. what questions can I expect at citizenship interview?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Did you apply based on being a permanent resident for five or more years?

If so, then there is no need for the IO to ask about your previous marriage. If they though there was an issue they would of brought it up during the I-751 stage. Currently, all they care about is your N-400.

My wife applied for citizenship based on the 3 year marriage to US Citizen rule. I went with her to the USCIS office for the interview. The officer didn't need to see me. She said the officer only asked to see her GC and didn't ask anything beyond the required questions. Never asked about our marriage even though she was applying under the 3 year rule. She was in and out in about 10 minutes.

Edited by dhlunar

Here is the information regarding the cases for my in-laws (wife, their daughter, is the petitioner under the IR-5 category, Parents of a USC):

Submit I-130 (2 petitions) to USCIS on May 30, 2013

USCIS approved the cases on March 10, 2014.

Received notice online from USCIS the cases were sent to NVC on March 17, 2014.

NVC received the cases on March 28, 2014

The case numbers were created on Monday, April 28.

We received the numbers by phone on Friday, May 2.

DS-261 became available on both cases late in the evening on Friday, May 2. Both DS-261 filed on Saturday, May 3.

Received emails to my wife regarding AOS at around 8am on Wednesday, May 7. At the same time received emails that were cc of letters sent to my in-laws. However, the date of all of the letters was Monday, May 5.

Received emails regarding the Immigrant Visa Fee at around 11:15am on Wednesday, May 7. IV fees became available online at around 1pm on Wednesday, May 7. Date of invoice was Tuesday, May 8.

Paid all the fees on Wednesday, May 7 at around 1:15pm.

All fees marked as paid and DS-260 become available sometime late on Friday, May 9.

Dropped off IV and AOS packages (in two different envelopes - 1 for AOS and 1 for IV documents) at the local post office at around 2pm on Saturday, May 10.

Submitted DS-260 (for both cases) around 10am on Sunday, May 11.

Both document packages received by NVC on Monday, May 12 (according to Post Office Tracking - one around 1pm and the other around 4pm. Don't know why they got separated.)

Received checklist email for both cases at 4pm on Thursday, June 12 regarding the IV civil documents

Wife called NVC in the afternoon of Friday, June 13 to inquire about the checklist. Told by a representative they are normal and automatic and not to worry. AOS under review. Call back after Tuesday, June 24.
Received a checklist for my father-in-law on Monday, June 16. NVC reviewed his AOS paperwork, but waiting for the documents the requested the week before.

Wife called NVC in the morning of Tuesday, June 17. Told by the agent they don't have the document requested for dad, and they don't have the AOS package for her mom.

Put in a request with our Senator to get more information. Response was mother-in-law is documentary complete and father-in-law was in document review for the military document.

Wife called NVC on the morning of Tuesday, July 1 and spoke with a supervisor regarding her dad's military document. Supervisor said she would look into it.

Supervisor called us and left a voicemail on the morning of Wednesday, July 9 and stated they have located my father-in-law's military documents. Case sent back to document review.

Per conversation with an agent, the expedited request originally requested by email on July 7, was sent to the Embassy on Thursday, July 10.

Received by postal mail on Thursday, August 21 from our Senator regarding the response of another inquiry. Still the same.

Early in the morning on Friday, August 22:

Wife calls the Embassy and was told the IV section doesn't accept calls, and was given a number in the states that turned out to be scheduling assistance for NIV interviews.

Called NVC as soon as they opened and was told the Embassy denied the expedite request, but the case was completed by NVC on Monday, August 18. Wife inquired about interview scheduling, and was given some good information.

At 5 PM on Thursday, September 11, received the interview letters. Interview is scheduled for the morning of October 9.

Mother-in-law approved. Father-in-law placed in Administrative Processing due to follow-up TB test.

CEAC stated ISSUED for my mother-in-law on October 15. DHL had the package for pick up on October 17 but called the wrong number. Package picked up on October 27.

On December 11 mother-in-law received a phone call from the Embassy that the medical is back for my father-in-law and to DHL his passport to them. Passport sent on December 12.

On December 18 CEAC updated to ISSUED for my father-in-law. My wife is happy!!!! Embassy said they gave it to DHL on December 19

Due to a DHL delay the package did not become available for pick up until December 24. USCIS Immigrant Fee paid the same day.

POE: JFK Terminal 1 - December 26, 2014 - They are finally here!!!

Took them to a local SSA office to get SSN on January 6, 2015. Cards received on January 10, 2015.

Green Cards received by priority mail on January 23, 2015 (four weeks after arrival).

Both went to motor vehicles and got state issued ID cards on April 11, 2015.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

They can ask anything you can imagine or they may not ask anything at all. All you need do is answer truthfully and not worry.

Thanks.

But what questions can the ip ask about previous marriage?

Thanks

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Did you apply based on being a permanent resident for five or more years?

If so, then there is no need for the IO to ask about your previous marriage. If they though there was an issue they would of brought it up during the I-751 stage. Currently, all they care about is your N-400.

My wife applied for citizenship based on the 3 year marriage to US Citizen rule. I went with her to the USCIS office for the interview. The officer didn't need to see me. She said the officer only asked to see her GC and didn't ask anything beyond the required questions. Never asked about our marriage even though she was applying under the 3 year rule. She was in and out in about 10 minutes.

What they will ask vary cases to cases, they can dig up whatever they want. My aunt's past marriage was dig up after 8 years since she divorced USC, and they asked her to send in documents to prove bona-fide marriage.

@OP: Be prepared for everything. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

They may do so if you lied to the USCIS and they find out. If your marriage was a greencard scam or if you lied in order to get your I-751 approved then there is a possibility your citizenship be denied if that is uncovered.

What are you afraid they will ask, precisely, about your marriage?

Do they reject Citizenship and take gc away by digging previous marriage AFTER approving I 751 waiver and granting perm green card? Has it happened?

Thanks

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Do they reject Citizenship and take gc away by digging previous marriage AFTER approving I 751 waiver and granting perm green card? Has it happened?

Thanks

Since your waiver has already been approved, they will probably only take a quick look at your previous marriage. However, if they have any reason to suspect that it was not legitimate, then they can ask as many questions as they want and ask for as much evidence as they want they can even ask for more evidence than you initially presented. Technically, they can look at your previous marriage at any time, including after naturalization, and they can actually take away your citizenship, not only your green card, if they can prove that you have obtained your green card fraudulently; this process is called denaturalization and requires them to prove fraud in federal court.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

My ex accused me of fraud and cheating on them (of course it was not true) in an email to me. I sent everything including that piece of information with my I 751 waiver application. I am just worried that will not be an issue now in naturalization. The immigration office that approved my I 751 is different than now because I moved. Do you think that email can cause me troubles now?

Your ex accusation it shouldn't have any impact. However, just be honest and confident if they ask you about your marriage. Usually, they ask about why the marriage ended , and as long as you tell them something make scene, you should be fine.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.