Jon&Nica

DCF Proof of residence in a foreign country for more than 6 months?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think my case may be a little tricky and I could use some help or advice. I have been living in the Philippines now for 3 years, I am a US citizen, on a valid tourist visa. I met my fiance just over a year ago and we have been living together for 6 months and will be getting married soon. My questions are: What if I do not have any proof of living here for 3 years other than visa extension stamps and ACR cards? My apartment and all apartments here are under the owners name as well as the electric and water bills. There is no lease just first month and last 2 months that were paid upfront. The only other thing I could think is my US bank statement showing me pulling money from ATM's and making purchases here in the Philippines every month?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Two issues:

- DCF only works for CR-1 spousal visas, not fiancee visas.

- A tourist visa may not count anyways, as it does not allow residency.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response and yes I would like to take the path of the CR-1 spousal visa and get married here, since I have been here 3 years and do not wish to return to the US without my current fiance. Would tourist visa extension stamps every two months and bank account statements of weekly ATM withdraws made here in the Philippines be enough to establish I was a resident for the last three years, enabling me to use the DCF method of filing?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Like I said,a tourist visa does not normally count. A tourist via, even if long term, is for visiting, not living in a country.Most embassies require residency visas.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You can try and provide that, but it will be up to the local consulate to accept it. Strictly speaking you are not a resident of the Philippines and would not qualify for DCF. There is no harm in trying though. Please come back and share your experience so others can learn from it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response and yes I would like to take the path of the CR-1 spousal visa and get married here, since I have been here 3 years and do not wish to return to the US without my current fiance. Would tourist visa extension stamps every two months and bank account statements of weekly ATM withdraws made here in the Philippines be enough to establish I was a resident for the last three years, enabling me to use the DCF method of filing?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hubby was also on tourist visa,the usembassy in manila just wants at least six months of residency(not even for some as ling as you can prove residency) in the philippines to be eligible.Do you have your acr card?we submitted that plus the extension stamps and cellphone,internet and cable bills.

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

I-130 Approved on:June 4,2014

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

Got the Visa Packet!! July 23,2014

POE: SEATTLE July 28,2014

--------------------------------------------

GREEN CARD AND SSC STATUS

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

August 28,2014 ELIS went from ACCEPTED TO OPTIMIZED IN PROCESS (INITIAL REVIEW)

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

September 4,2014-received ssc

September 8,2014- green card mailed/closed on elis

September 9,2014- green card received yahooo!!

---------------------------------------------------------

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Mailed Packet: 4/29/2016

NOA1: 5/2/2016

Bio Appt: 6/1/2016

Approval:2/13/2017

Received 10 year green card:2/17/2017

You can also get brgy clearance,community tax cert (cedula) or police clearance for supporting docus.I dont think you'll have any issues.Take a lot of photos of you and soon to be wife as well :).You may also want to get philhealth insurance and add her to that or her adding you once you are married. $50 a year for that. :)

Filed I-130 DCF: May 27, 2014 Here's what happened (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/498046-filed-dcf-today-5-27-2014/ )

Interview July 18, 2014 (Approved) You can read this ( http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/506247-interview/ )

August 25,2014 Went to SSA to see what's going on with my SSC- SAVE has my middle name together with my first name.

September 2 Called local ssa and was told SSC was mailed/Elis says Green CARD production has begun

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Hope this helps you.Pls check with the embassy as this was what we followed when we applied last year.

post-177580-0-48808200-1420691485_thumb.jpg

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Timeline

Thanks so much bookwork! I will get a copy of the original signed lease from 3 years ago and my last 2 ACR cards, as well as extension stamps for the last three years and my American bank statement which shows withdraws weekly from the Philippines. The cellphone and internet are unfortunately prepaid. Do you know if there is a way I can go to immigration and pay them for copies of the paperwork from my extensions or do you think the stamps will be sufficient?

Hey there. There is definitely a lot of book work to do! It is worth it for the money you will save by not paying a lawyer to do it for you.

I'm not exactly sure how it works in Philippines, but I had a similar problem when filing in Thailand. I had to be a resident in Thailand for at least 6 months within the last two years. Currently, I am on an education visa, which is not acceptable. Fortunately, I worked in Thailand as a teacher for a year last school year, which means I was in Thailand for over a year on a business visa, which made me eligible for DCF.

If it doesn't work out for you on a tourist visa, you could try getting some work at a school in the Philippines for the work visa, and then try again in 6 months.

That I am not sure (getting copies).We didnt submit those,just the stamps.When you go to the embassy they wont let you file and pay anyway unless they deem you eligible.Trust me,you dont need a lawyer to do the DCF.The passport pages are needed anyway so yeah i think extensions should be fine.If you can just gather some more paperwork,they may be a lot but you can get them all in a few hours.Even our lease was only done on a January.We filed in May.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like I said,a tourist visa does not normally count. A tourist via, even if long term, is for visiting, not living in a country.Most embassies require residency visas.

I have read many successful cases in Philippines with Tourist Visa being ok

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.