RobertAtlantaUSA

K-1 Fiance Visa to the USA; Lawyer or help needed

19 posts in this topic

Thank for all the great advice. Im considering just filing for DCF and getting married before I file. I think that would take less time than filing for a K-1. Any thoughts?

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

May I suggest something else. As we did in the Philippines.

Can you find a "Reputable" visa company, that processes a very good reputation?

If so, (as we did in the Phils) I would suggest you try that.

The paper work certainly can be done, using this site's guides. But, it is long and tedious.

Lawyers cost thousands of dollars, a good visa company cost us only a few hundred, from K-1 application, to P.O.E.!

We were lucky, our visa company in Cebu, was owned and run by an attorney.

I would do it myself before I would take it to a lawyer, too much money, and will, 'most likely' delay your process.

Just my opinion. An 'excellent' visa company worked for us.

I have heard nothing 'good' about USA visa companies, and they put an "up front cost" that is far less than you would be charged. Try to find one in Thailand.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

May I suggest something else. As we did in the Philippines.

Can you find a "Reputable" visa company, that processes a very good reputation?

If so, (as we did in the Phils) I would suggest you try that.

The paper work certainly can be done, using this site's guides. But, it is long and tedious.

Lawyers cost thousands of dollars, a good visa company cost us only a few hundred, from K-1 application, to P.O.E.!

We were lucky, our visa company in Cebu, was owned and run by an attorney.

I would do it myself before I would take it to a lawyer, too much money, and will, 'most likely' delay your process.

Just my opinion. An 'excellent' visa company worked for us.

I have heard nothing 'good' about USA visa companies, and they put an "up front cost" that is far less than you would be charged. Try to find one in Thailand.

A " reputable " visa company in Thailand? My husband asked the embassy officer even though we didn't need one, if they found one to be better than another. He replied " we wouldnt even work with the ones in the area of the embassy if we didn't have to '.

Most if not all of these companies are run by lawyers. All of them do the same things. The client sits in front of a data input person that transcribes the forms. They usually submit the case file to the embassy. How long that takes is dictated by how prepared the client is.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. We decided to get married and did so on January 23rd then filed DCF in Bangkok on January 28th. I did all the paperwork myself instead of hiring a lawyer or agency, and yes it was alot but the USCIS lady was very helpful and corrected all my mistakes and told me exactly what I needed, then she accepted my I-130.

I have found with filing these papers, as well as many things in life, the hardest part of a journey is taking the first step, after that, its not too bad.

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.