Multivitaminico

If I get US passport, should I not renew my Peruvian passport?

23 posts in this topic

Just because someone got away with doing it the wrong way does not make the advice incorrect.

Did your cousin also disclosed to the immigration authority that he was a Peruvian citizen?

It is legal to enter on a passport not Peruvian.

You don't have to disclose you are a citizen of Peru, and no one asks -or cares-

The only other thing that matters is that if you get in trouble, the US Govt can't help you, as Peruvian, Peruvian laws apply to a Peruvian with a dual citizenship

Peru has mandatory voting and as an earlier poster said, you are prohibited from doing certain things if you didn't vote. Your DNI has a section for little holographic stickers given when voting. As a resident of the U.S., I'm not sure if you are required to vote via your local consulate or exempt, but I would find out and get an up-to-date Peruvian passport and DNI just for peace of mind. That way you can enter Peru without hassle. As someone else said, just because dual citizens have entered on their foreign passport doesn't mean it's necessarily legal. Most countries require that a dual citizen enters on the passport of that country as opposed to the other country. Not to mention you can travel to other countries on your Peruvian passport without needing a visa that Americans require (off the top of my head, Brazil and Bolivia).

"Mandatory" to vote on Presidential elections. Not doing so makes you inelegible for other consular matters, until you get your DNI updated.

You wouldn't even need a passport for several countries, a DNI suffices.

Some people just forget about DNIs and passports until they have an emergency and then is when things get ugly. Most common emergencies: death of a relative, emergency hospitalization, inheritance paperwork.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It is legal to enter on a passport not Peruvian.

You don't have to disclose you are a citizen of Peru, and no one asks -or cares-

The only other thing that matters is that if you get in trouble, the US Govt can't help you, as Peruvian, Peruvian laws apply to a Peruvian with a dual citizenship

It's illegal for a US citizen who has dual citizenship to enter or leave the US with a non-US passport.

Do you know for sure that it is legal for a Peruvian citizen who has dual US citizenship to enter and leave Peru with a non-Peruvian passport?

What is your basis that it is legal to enter on a non-Peruvian passport for a person who has Peruvian citizenship?

It's illegal for a US citizen who has dual citizenship to enter or leave the US with a non-US passport.

Do you know for sure that it is legal for a Peruvian citizen who has dual US citizenship to enter and leave Peru with a non-Peruvian passport?

What is your basis that it is legal to enter on a non-Peruvian passport for a person who has Peruvian citizenship?

I do know in the US case.

On the second, yes; posted in the Peru government site as to requirements to enter the country (in Spanish). To be clear, the requirements do not list being unlawful to use a passport other than the Peru one or even notes a dual citizenship case; it only lists that one must have a valid passport.

http://www.peru.travel/es-lat/planifica-tu-viaje/ingreso-a-peru.aspx

This site is posted by PromPeru, an office of the Ministery of Tourism and International Commerce

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

You can renew in the US at any consulate; but you would have to probably pay a lot of fees/penalties.

If I were you, I'd renew in Lima in the next trip, a lot; and I mean a lot less expensive and hassle

Reasons to at least have a DNI valid: that is the only way you can sign contracts and official documents in Peru, otherwise you are going to have the fun of obtaining a permit to sig as a foreigner.

Official documents are more extensive than here, for example, a power of attorney, notarization of docs, etc, etc.

not really, you don't really have to pay any penalties, even if your peruvian passport is expired

is $35 to renew it for 5 years, and the DNI is even cheaper $7 lol my DNI expires in 2018, and I will probably renew it by mail, because the consulate is like 1 hour from where I live, and I don't feel like driving 1 hour just to pay $7. Good thing, is that it can be used whenever I'm in Peru, even if I'm an american citizen, I would still be Peruvian, when I'm around, all I have to do is carry my DNI, and I'm just like any other Peruvian out there, only difference is an american address.

I didn't vote at all since 2005, in fact, I was actually asked to be a (miembro de mesa) in 2007, which is a person who helps the voting process and stuff, which takes a lot of your time and possibly work (they don't pay you ####### for this lol), in 2007 I was told that I had a fine, and despite this, I was able to renew my passport back in 2010

I also traveled to Peru in 2007 and 2010, and never had any problems despite having had that fine, its probably gone anyway

All my family is in the states now, and I basically have NOTHING in Peru anyway, no money, no possessions, nothing except old friends, makes no sense for me to travel just to party with old friends, when a plane ticket is like $800+ no way

Edited by Multivitaminico

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)
01-06-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)

01-12-2015 = N-400 packet delivered

--- = Check cashed
--- = NOA1 received (Priority Date --)
--- = Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --)
--- = In line for interview
--- = Interview completed
--- = Oath letter received
--- = Oath Ceremony!

not really, you don't really have to pay any penalties, even if your peruvian passport is expired

is $35 to renew it for 5 years, and the DNI is even cheaper $7 lol my DNI expires in 2018, and I will probably renew it by mail, because the consulate is like 1 hour from where I live, and I don't feel like driving 1 hour just to pay $7. Good thing, is that it can be used whenever I'm in Peru, even if I'm an american citizen, I would still be Peruvian, when I'm around, all I have to do is carry my DNI, and I'm just like any other Peruvian out there, only difference is an american address.

I didn't vote at all since 2005, in fact, I was actually asked to be a (miembro de mesa) in 2007, which is a person who helps the voting process and stuff, which takes a lot of your time and possibly work (they don't pay you ####### for this lol), in 2007 I was told that I had a fine, and despite this, I was able to renew my passport back in 2010

I also traveled to Peru in 2007 and 2010, and never had any problems despite having had that fine, its probably gone anyway

All my family is in the states now, and I basically have NOTHING in Peru anyway, no money, no possessions, nothing except old friends, makes no sense for me to travel just to party with old friends, when a plane ticket is like $800+ no way

As I said, you might not ever need a Peru id anylonger; but you can then not sign contracts or do any errandds at any government office. Maybe you will never need one; but things seem to bite back at unexpected times. I see it as a very small cost to have them. And there are places a Peru passport is better than a US one!

Fines to the DNI do not matter when coming/leaving to the country, only when you want to renew it; and even then, it is possible to waive them

When you say family, I assume direct relatives.

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

As I said, you might not ever need a Peru id anylonger; but you can then not sign contracts or do any errandds at any government office. Maybe you will never need one; but things seem to bite back at unexpected times. I see it as a very small cost to have them. And there are places a Peru passport is better than a US one!

Fines to the DNI do not matter when coming/leaving to the country, only when you want to renew it; and even then, it is possible to waive them

When you say family, I assume direct relatives.

I have no need to sign any contracts or errands in any Peruvian government office.

When I say my family, I mean all my family, including direct and indirect relatives, all of them are here in the states, my grandparents who lived in Peru, both of them already passed away. I have nothing and no one in Peru anymore, not even material things or money, except for old friends from high school or my old neighborhood, and we aren't as close anymore as before due to the distance

I still feel a certain level of sentiment towards Peru, but my life is here now, there is no reason for me to go back except for partying lol the idea of wasting $800+ just to party with old friends, when i can party here just as good, and use that money to my retirement, doesn't appeal to me at all

I went 2 times already, and now that I think about it, it was a waste of money, I only went to party and meet old friends. I'm not rich, so I cannot afford to do that

Everything you find in Peru, is here ten times more in both quality and quantity, also Peruvian restaurant all over here in Miami, and the food pretty much the same, bunch of peruvian people living here too

Edited by Multivitaminico

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)
01-06-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)

01-12-2015 = N-400 packet delivered

--- = Check cashed
--- = NOA1 received (Priority Date --)
--- = Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --)
--- = In line for interview
--- = Interview completed
--- = Oath letter received
--- = Oath Ceremony!

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.