charlieprince

Can I fill out and submit the DS-160 for my fiancee??

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Posted this in this thread here but have not gotten a reply yet:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/484245-can-i-the-petitioner-fill-out-form-ds-160-for-my-fiance/#entry7414361

BOTTOM LINE: My fiancee has no computer with internet access AND a printer! She is in Riyadh so there's no internet cafes/etc. Her work also prohibits it not to mention it's a closed country meaning movement is restricted and she cannot get around freely.

I like to prepare ahead of time so thinking ahead.. can I fill out the DS-160 and submit it for her?? Once I do I am planning on printing out the confirmation/barcode and mailing it to her via FedEx but I am reading conflicting reports.

I understand a third party can fill out the form but the beneficiary has to submit it/sign electronically. How can they prove it was not her who submitted it/etc?!

Shouldn't the barcode/confirmation page be the only thing necessary for her interview?!

anyone?

January 21, 2020 = My wife is finally a US CITIZEN!! Thank you Jesus! Our long journey is finally over!!

December 18, 2019 = Naturalization Oath Letter Received! THANK YOU JESUS!! The journey is long, but in the end.. it's all worth it

December 17, 2019 = Naturalization Oath Scheduled! i751 Removal of Conditions on Green Card Approved!

December 16, 2019 = "do over" for n400 interview.. was sent to the Adjudicator room.. after a very long wait since it was crowded.. PASSED!

October 8, 2019 = n400 Interview, did not pass. did not fail. what?! yup. was scheduled for a "do over"

May 21, 2019 = Green Card ROC Application transferred to local office for interview

February 21, 2019 = N400 Biometrics Appointment

February 01, 2019 = N400 NOA1 received. Biometric Appointment Scheduled

January 30, 2019 = Files N400 US Citizenship Application (while green card roc is pending)

March 20, 2018 = Biometrics Appt  (i797-C, Notice of Action .. noa1?)

January 30, 2018 = Received I-757 NOA for i-751 petition

January 26, 2018 = Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions to Vermont Service Center

March 30, 2016 = AOS Approved on the same day!!! YES THANK YOU JESUS!!

March 30, 2016 = Adjustment of Status interview..

December 3, 2015 = Employment Auth & Travel Permit Approved

September 24, 2015 = Filed for Adjustment of Status, Employment Auth, Travel Permit

August 27, 2015 = Married !!!!!!!

July 16, 2015 = CEAC status ISSUED!!! :) OH YES BABY!!! Flight Book to NYC on August 8!!!

July 2, 2015 = Returned to Embassy for fingerprints and brought Passport and 221G documents -- PASSED!!

June 21, 2015 = K-1 Interview .. issued a 221G and was told to come back to do fingerprints

June 16, 2015 = Interview Date from Riyadh Embassy!!! :D Received Packet 4

March 22, 2015 = Readyness Documents Delivered!! yay!

March 18, 2015 = Readyness Documents mailed to Riyadh Embassy.

March 17, 2015 = Visa MRV Fee Shows up on ustraveldocs.com/sa/ (Last step for the K-1 Packet!!)

March 14, 2015 = Visa MRV Fee Paid (1,0007 sar)

March 05, 2015 = K-1 Required Documents (Affidavit of Support, etc) received by fiancee in Riyadh!!! (that quick?! WOW!)

March 02, 2015 = Mailed K-1 Required Documents (Affidavit of Support, etc) to Riyadh via FedEx

February 20, 2015 = NVC Approval Letter Received! (lol a week after Riyadh Embassy contacted us)

= Riyadh Embassy EMAILS the "Packet 3" notification :) game on! and yes, they reference your Case #

February 16, 2015 = Case # Received from RIYADH EMBASSY!! Yup! Didn't call NVC or hear anything but damn that FAST!

February 06, 2015 = NVC received I-129F package (called them, no case # yet)

January 30, 2015 = Hardcopy of NOA2 received

January 30, 2015 = USCIS Status Change! Application Mailed to Visa Center. (so it took a week for TSC to mail it to NVC)

January 23, 2015 = NOA 2 Case Approval by USCIS Website and Email!!!!!

December 24, 2014 = Hardcopy NOA1 received

December 22, 2014 = NOA 1 Receipt TSC (NO!! not the hellhole that is TSC) :(

December 18, 2014 = I-129F submitted

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

No.

"Other people can assist you with your visa application. Note that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. Even if someone else helped you complete the application, you (the applicant) must click the “Sign Application” button, or your application may not be accepted."
I imagine it would be pretty easy for them to see the location from which the form was completed and submitted online. Whether they routinely check this, nobody here can tell you, but do you really want to take that risk? I sure wouldn't. I know very little about Middle Eastern culture, but is there literally NO WAY she can access a computer with the internet and a printer? If not, I guess she could complete it herself, e-mail the barcode form for you to print, and then you send it to her in the mail. Sounds very complicated, but better than the alternative of breaking the law, in my opinion.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No.

"Other people can assist you with your visa application. Note that under U.S. law (22 C.F.R. 41.103) you must electronically sign and submit your own application unless you qualify for an exemption. Even if someone else helped you complete the application, you (the applicant) must click the “Sign Application” button, or your application may not be accepted."
I imagine it would be pretty easy for them to see the location from which the form was completed and submitted online. Whether they routinely check this, nobody here can tell you, but do you really want to take that risk? I sure wouldn't. I know very little about Middle Eastern culture, but is there literally NO WAY she can access a computer with the internet and a printer? If not, I guess she could complete it herself, e-mail the barcode form for you to print, and then you send it to her in the mail. Sounds very complicated, but better than the alternative of breaking the law, in my opinion.

Yes. It's retarded how strict it is over there. There is NO WAY POSSIBLE at all for her right now to do the form herself AND print it out. See here's the problems:

-computer with internet access

-printer

that combination is the problem. I was hoping she can do it at work but her hospital does not allow it (no internet). They live in a compound which is modern day slavery.

so yea, it's bad the way they treat OFW (overseas foreign workers) in Riyadh..

sigh messed up the formatting -.- whatever, that's my response
Edited by charlieprince

January 21, 2020 = My wife is finally a US CITIZEN!! Thank you Jesus! Our long journey is finally over!!

December 18, 2019 = Naturalization Oath Letter Received! THANK YOU JESUS!! The journey is long, but in the end.. it's all worth it

December 17, 2019 = Naturalization Oath Scheduled! i751 Removal of Conditions on Green Card Approved!

December 16, 2019 = "do over" for n400 interview.. was sent to the Adjudicator room.. after a very long wait since it was crowded.. PASSED!

October 8, 2019 = n400 Interview, did not pass. did not fail. what?! yup. was scheduled for a "do over"

May 21, 2019 = Green Card ROC Application transferred to local office for interview

February 21, 2019 = N400 Biometrics Appointment

February 01, 2019 = N400 NOA1 received. Biometric Appointment Scheduled

January 30, 2019 = Files N400 US Citizenship Application (while green card roc is pending)

March 20, 2018 = Biometrics Appt  (i797-C, Notice of Action .. noa1?)

January 30, 2018 = Received I-757 NOA for i-751 petition

January 26, 2018 = Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions to Vermont Service Center

March 30, 2016 = AOS Approved on the same day!!! YES THANK YOU JESUS!!

March 30, 2016 = Adjustment of Status interview..

December 3, 2015 = Employment Auth & Travel Permit Approved

September 24, 2015 = Filed for Adjustment of Status, Employment Auth, Travel Permit

August 27, 2015 = Married !!!!!!!

July 16, 2015 = CEAC status ISSUED!!! :) OH YES BABY!!! Flight Book to NYC on August 8!!!

July 2, 2015 = Returned to Embassy for fingerprints and brought Passport and 221G documents -- PASSED!!

June 21, 2015 = K-1 Interview .. issued a 221G and was told to come back to do fingerprints

June 16, 2015 = Interview Date from Riyadh Embassy!!! :D Received Packet 4

March 22, 2015 = Readyness Documents Delivered!! yay!

March 18, 2015 = Readyness Documents mailed to Riyadh Embassy.

March 17, 2015 = Visa MRV Fee Shows up on ustraveldocs.com/sa/ (Last step for the K-1 Packet!!)

March 14, 2015 = Visa MRV Fee Paid (1,0007 sar)

March 05, 2015 = K-1 Required Documents (Affidavit of Support, etc) received by fiancee in Riyadh!!! (that quick?! WOW!)

March 02, 2015 = Mailed K-1 Required Documents (Affidavit of Support, etc) to Riyadh via FedEx

February 20, 2015 = NVC Approval Letter Received! (lol a week after Riyadh Embassy contacted us)

= Riyadh Embassy EMAILS the "Packet 3" notification :) game on! and yes, they reference your Case #

February 16, 2015 = Case # Received from RIYADH EMBASSY!! Yup! Didn't call NVC or hear anything but damn that FAST!

February 06, 2015 = NVC received I-129F package (called them, no case # yet)

January 30, 2015 = Hardcopy of NOA2 received

January 30, 2015 = USCIS Status Change! Application Mailed to Visa Center. (so it took a week for TSC to mail it to NVC)

January 23, 2015 = NOA 2 Case Approval by USCIS Website and Email!!!!!

December 24, 2014 = Hardcopy NOA1 received

December 22, 2014 = NOA 1 Receipt TSC (NO!! not the hellhole that is TSC) :(

December 18, 2014 = I-129F submitted

Only the applicant is allowed to electronically sign and submit the DS-160, UNLESS you qualify to be exempted from doing so. From http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/forms/ds-160--online-nonimmigrant-visa-application/frequently-asked-questions.html :

Who is exempt from signing the form?

If the applicant is under the age of 16 or physically incapable of completing an application, the applicant’s parents or guardian may complete and click the “Sign Application” button on his or her behalf. If the applicant has no parent or legal guardian, then the application may be completed by any person having legal custody of, or a legitimate interest in, the applicant.

From what you said it is nearly impossible for your fiancée to physically be able to sign and submit this form on her own, therefore you may be able to submit it on her behalf.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

I may be completely wrong, but my interpretation of "physically incapable" is that it refers to a physical disability. And also, it only says the parent or guardian may click the button, not the fiancé.

I may be completely wrong, but my interpretation of "physically incapable" is that it refers to a physical disability. And also, it only says the parent or guardian may click the button, not the fiancé.

You may be right. Who defines the definition of "physically incapable" ? It very well may be limited to a physical disability, or the meaning could be more broad in the sense that it could also include physical inabilities to completing the form due to physical restrictions, ie restricted computer/internet access.

And the fiancé is considered a "person having a legitimate interest in the applicant", so yes they qualify to sign.

If the applicant is under the age of 16 or physically incapable of completing an application, the applicant’s parents or guardian may complete and click the “Sign Application” button on his or her behalf. If the applicant has no parent or legal guardian, then the application may be completed by any person having legal custody of, or a legitimate interest in, the applicant.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

You may be right. Who defines the definition of "physically incapable" ? It very well may be limited to a physical disability, or the meaning could be more broad in the sense that it could also include physical inabilities to completing the form due to physical restrictions, ie restricted computer/internet access.

And the fiancé is considered a "person having a legitimate interest in the applicant", so yes they qualify to sign.

That part is equally as ambiguous. The part you bolded is only true if "the applicant has no parent or legal guardian"...but what does that mean exactly? Do they have to be deceased, residing in a different country...or does that not even apply if the applicant is over some minimum age, like 16 or 18? Who knows.

Email the embassy and ask.

It's not an embassy-specific issue, so I'd think the Department of State would be your best bet. I was unable to find a general customer service number for them after a quick Google search, however.

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe this particular embassy (and others in the Middle East) has received this question many times given the cultural climate towards women in the country. It's worth a shot.

Edited by sma1488

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.