mom092511

Please help me with my situation

33 posts in this topic

Hi. When I went to Guam last year, August 5, 2013, the IO asked me questions as to why I was out of the country for almost a year. I explained it to him that my husband was leaving for deployment at the time I was due to give birth. I told him that we waited for my husband to get back from deployment that I could not give birth in the US because i had to undergo C-sec. IO asked me my husband's rank, where he was stationed, etc, and left his cubicle. After a minute or 2, he went back and handed me the re-entry form and told me I could use that form the next time I'd be gone for a long time. I asked him if I still have to fill out the form if the family would all be going back to hawaii in Nov and he said no. And then he said I was good to go.

My question is, can they still revoke my greencard even if I have explained my situation to them? I have documents to prove them that it wasn't my intention to be gone that long. I can also provide my husband's order that he was gone that time.

I think an IO would look at those dates and see that you have been living outside of the US for the last 2 years with a few vacations to the US. In order to apply for naturalization you must be physically present in the U.S. for eighteen months within the three year period before applying in the case of qualified spouses of U.S. citizens and 30 months if applying under the 5 year rule. I would also pray that the IO doesn't consider your LPR status abandoned as from July 30, 2013 to November 22, 2014 you had continuous residence outside of the US except for 2 days on US soil.

Hi. When I went to Guam last year, August 5, 2013, the IO asked me questions as to why I was out of the country for almost a year. I explained it to him that my husband was leaving for deployment at the time I was due to give birth. I told him that we waited for my husband to get back from deployment that I could not give birth in the US because i had to undergo C-sec. IO asked me my husband's rank, where he was stationed, etc, and left his cubicle. After a minute or 2, he went back and handed me the re-entry form and told me I could use that form the next time I'd be gone for a long time. I asked him if I still have to fill out the form if the family would all be going back to hawaii in Nov and he said no. And then he said I was good to go.

My question is, can they still revoke my greencard even if I have explained my situation to them? I have documents to prove them that it wasn't my intention to be gone that long. I can also provide my husband's order that he was gone that time.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

CBP can not revoke your green card. If CBP thinks you have abandoned your status, then they will refer you to an immigration judge to revoke your status.

The general rule is that if you plan to be out of the US for more than 6 months, then get the Re-Entry Permit.

CBP can not revoke your green card. If CBP thinks you have abandoned your status, then they will refer you to an immigration judge to revoke your status.

The general rule is that if you plan to be out of the US for more than 6 months, then get the Re-Entry Permit.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.