a+j

US spouse wishing to become a dual citizen

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If the passport of a US Citizen was seized upon entry there must be more to the story. If you are US Citizen you must always enter with a US Passport so perhaps that was the issue. Also the seizing of a passport and loss of citizenship are two different matters. As adults my Parents applied for and received Swiss citizenship twenty years ago. They have never had an issue traveling.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is incorrect, you lose your citizenship when you apply for another citizenship on your own after 18.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality.html

I don't think that's true, based on this section, from your link:

Unless I'm misreading it, you must have the INTENT to relinquish citizenship of the US by taking foreign citizenship in order to lose it. Or commit treason. Or fight in a military against the US. If I am misreading, please let me know, because I do find this fascinating.

Not a tailor is correct. Intentionally seeking another nationality CAN result in the loss of US citizenship, but in almost all cases it doesn't. They have to show that you intended to relinquish your US nationality. Of course, all they would have to do is convince a judge that you "intended" to relinquish your nationality... there's no formal definition of what that means. Putting it in writing would make it official, but I bet that they can use a lower standard when they really want to get rid of someone.

This is incorrect, you lose your citizenship when you apply for another citizenship on your own after 18.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/english/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality.html

Not automatically. This is very rare actually.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

This is interesting because my husband asked me the same for the future when we got married

I'm from Spain and Spain doesn't allow double citizenship either, but it's not the same having double citizenship that having two citizenships!

Not sure if it works the other way but I do know what people do in Spain. They become US citizens and never reject spanish citizenship the law says they can't make you do it if you have it by birth, and any document will say you have both nationalities. Just one or the other. What people do is always keep renewing the spanish passport and ID. When traveling they use Spanish passport to enter Europe and American passport to enter the states. I know tons of people who do it and there is no problem at all. But again I wonder how for the US citizen born it would be...

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

The way I'm reading it, acquiring other nationality only has a potential effect and the USC needs to atually relinquish his/her nationality. And moreover, upon a consular office noticing one of the potential acts; will then ask the USC whether the intention is to relinquish. Otherwise it is presumed that is not the case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The way I'm reading it, acquiring other nationality only has a potential effect and the USC needs to atually relinquish his/her nationality. And moreover, upon a consular office noticing one of the potential acts; will then ask the USC whether the intention is to relinquish. Otherwise it is presumed that is not the case.

Yep, there would be many, millions? Of people with issues otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Is there any particular reason why the OP's husband would like Italian citizenship? Certainly he's entitled to it through marriage, but it generally is something done when you are going to be spending a vast amount of time in that other country and I would assume he would still need to maintain domicile in his own. It's quite possible that the OP's husband could obtain at the very least, if they haven't already and may be spending a great deal of time in Italy, an EU resident card?

Again how I understand it is, as long as your 'intent' is good and you follow the rules, citizenship is yours to keep -- unless you formerly revoke it in front of an consular officer or you are found to have broken the stated rules.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Is there any particular reason why the OP's husband would like Italian citizenship? Certainly he's entitled to it through marriage, but it generally is something done when you are going to be spending a vast amount of time in that other country and I would assume he would still need to maintain domicile in his own. It's quite possible that the OP's husband could obtain at the very least, if they haven't already and may be spending a great deal of time in Italy, an EU resident card?

Again how I understand it is, as long as your 'intent' is good and you follow the rules, citizenship is yours to keep -- unless you formerly revoke it in front of an consular officer or you are found to have broken the stated rules.

One factor for an individual taking on US Naturalization: regardless of where you live in the world you will be filing US Income taxes ( and probably your children as well) .

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

OP sort of made it sound like they are staying in the US.

Italy allows a foreign spouse to apply for Italian citizenship through marriage, regardless of the country the couple lives in.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

From an US administrative law perspective , this Article makes it clear : Applying for Citizenship in another country alone does not cause loss of US Citizenship. One would need to state to a US Consular office , when asked, that they had the intent of relinquishing their citizenship. There is no need to prove your intention at the time, your statement to the officer at the time of being asked is the only thing that will cause you to lose your Citizenship.

Disposition of Cases when Administrative Premise is Applicable

In light of the administrative premise discussed above, a person who:

1. is naturalized in a foreign country;
  2. takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign state;
  3. serves in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or
  4. accepts non-policy level employment with a foreign government,

and in so doing wishes to retain U.S. nationality need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. nationality since such an intent will be presumed.

When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for registration or a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. national has performed an act made potentially expatriating by INA Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if he/she intended to relinquish U.S. nationality when performing the act. If the answer is no, the consular officer will certify that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. nationality and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. nationality.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know many people who have two passports (Brazil/US and Europe/US) who have had no problems. As people have mentioned you have to use the "right" passport when you are entering/leaving the USA and the right passport when you are entering/leaving the other country. Unless you show both passports to the immigration officer there is really no reason why they would even know. Unless you are involved with some sketchy business... it is important that you declare your international income and assets in the USA. If you are a dual citizen to avoid taxes then you could fall into one of the catagories mentioned above. I would LOVE to have EU citizenship and can see why OP's hubby would be interested.

19/1/2010 met in Spain

08/2011 moved to his home country, Brazil

27/01/2012 got married!

06/02/2014 sent I-130 package to Chicago Lockbox

11/02/2014 I-130 package received in Chicago

18/02/2014 NOA1- routed to Nebraska Service Center

21/07/2014 NOA 2

12/08/2014 NVC Recieved

21/08/2014 Sent AOS

30/09/2014 Sent IV Package (should have sent together.... thought that I had to pay fees first)

26/10/2014 Scan Date AOS

20/09/2014 Scan Date IV

03/12/2014 Checklist for AOS, operator said that ALL IS WELL with IV Docs

08/12/2014 Scan Date for corrected AOS

04/02/2015 Expedite request approved

06/02/2015 Case Left NVC

09/02/2015 Case "ready" on CEAC site

23/02/2015 Interview date email from RDJ consulate

24/04/2015 Interview date RDJ consulate

24/04/2015 APPROVED pending arrival of medical exam

04/05/2015 Case "issued" on CEAC site

05/05/2015 Visa/passport in the mail

07/05/2015 Visa in hand!!!!

We are almost there!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

But you left out this part: "with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality"

Here is the relevant section...

Potentially Expatriating Acts

Section 349 of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. nationals are subject to loss of nationality if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Briefly stated, these acts include:

1. obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon one's own application after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);

2. taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or its political subdivisions after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);

3. entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the United States or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);

4. accepting employment with a foreign government after the age of 18 if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);

5. formally renouncing U.S. nationality before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);

6. formally renouncing U.S. nationality within the United States (The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for implementing this section of the law) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);

7. conviction for an act of treason against the Government of the United States or for attempting to force to overthrow the Government of the United States (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

If your intent is to give up your US citizenship, then you loose it when you apply to become a citizen of another nation, we agree there. However, it isn't exactly clear that you would loose it if you applied for citizenship with another country while not intending to relinquish your US citizenship..

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.