KiwiBird

Amnesty for Illegal Spouse but left the country?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yes they can and maybe

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I think the reason they may not be worried is because she probably plans to cross the border again. I'm not sure, but I have heard that sometimes illegal immigrants leave to visit family members and such and come back. That's probably it. She would still be entering the country illegally though, so if she gets caught, she would be deported.

This does not constitute legal advice.

They are able to get a GC, it's just much harder. If the person was in deportation or removal proceedings then they have to prove with clear and convincing evidence that the marriage is legit. Of course I don't know what they consider clear and convincing. In this case however, I don't think the OP's friend's wife was in proceedings, she was just undocumented. Or was she actually in proceedings?

I didn't think an undocumented person who was already facing deportation could marry a USC and get a green card that way. Is that possible now or wouldn't that just lead to many sham marriages solely for green cards?

Edited by Ian H.

I don't know if she came here by just crossing the border (no status) or just overstayed a visa as a child with her parents and never left (out of status). I never asked. When the topic came up among family, it was more like "Hey, you know his girlfriend? She's getting deported, so they are getting married." So I think deportation proceedings had already started. But that was last year when they got married and nothing had happened thus far... so I don't know. I always believed that getting married to a USC when you're getting deported wouldn't change anything so I was shocked I had heard nothing since then. I don't ask because I figure it's kind of rude. ("Hey, so remember how your wife was gonna be deported..? How's that going?")

I don't know if they filed any paperwork with USCIS at all. I imagine I would have heard something about it since they did speak to me about some immigration stuff back last year before they got married. But when I had said, "Marrying someone doesn't stop deportation." they dismissed me and waved me off.

I'll keep you guys posted, but again, I'm really not sure how she expects to get back!

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Timeline

So anybody's guess.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Is it possible that she had DACA already and you didn't know? If she came here as a child and met all the other requirements she probably does have AP. I don't think that she would risk not being allowed reentry just because. They must have some sort of assurance that she will be let back inside the country so it's perfectly possible that she is protected under the DACA.

That's entirely possible. She did come here as a child, so DACA is possible. Are now-adult DACA individuals at risk of deportation? (Curious why deportation would have been brought up at all if she were safe-guarded the entire time.) Something about the entire situation just does not make sense to me. Then again, I went through all the paperwork and filing for my husband and THAT didn't make sense to me either! :P

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Timeline

If she got into serious criminal issues she might be at risk, but so would a LPR.

She may not have filed for DACA at the time you talked to her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a random question, but it's not for me. A friend of mine (USC) is married to an undocumented spouse. I believe she was brought here when she was really young by her parents. She was facing deportation when they got married on American soil.

Since Obama has announced amnesty for illegals, they have gone on vacation to her home country. Would she be able to get back in the country since she has left willingly? I'm curious how that works. I'm worried she won't be able to get back. But then again, maybe she knows something I don't.

Ignoring the issues around a possible ban, I am curious on what passport she is traveling on. She wouldn't have a US passport as she is not a USC, so I am guessing it is from her original country. However, how did keep it renewed, maybe through some consular outreach? Also, is she from a visa-waiver country? If she is, then she might be able to return. However, if she she needs a visa to enter, she won't be allowed back in without the appropriate visa, which it seems she won't have.

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Timeline

I have renewed my passport in the US, some countries make it difficult if you are out of status. However the normaal countries with large numbers of citizens in the US without status do not.

Even if from VWP country she would not be eligible to use if which is not to say it has not happened.

Ignoring the issues around a possible ban, I am curious on what passport she is traveling on. She wouldn't have a US passport as she is not a USC, so I am guessing it is from her original country. However, how did keep it renewed, maybe through some consular outreach? Also, is she from a visa-waiver country? If she is, then she might be able to return. However, if she she needs a visa to enter, she won't be allowed back in without the appropriate visa, which it seems she won't have.

She presumably got a passport at her country's local consulate in the U.S.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That's entirely possible. She did come here as a child, so DACA is possible. Are now-adult DACA individuals at risk of deportation? (Curious why deportation would have been brought up at all if she were safe-guarded the entire time.) Something about the entire situation just does not make sense to me. Then again, I went through all the paperwork and filing for my husband and THAT didn't make sense to me either! :P

If she was approved for DACA then she would be protected from being deported solely because of her lack of immigration status. However, she could still be deported if she commited any crime that would make her inadmissible to the US. The protection lasts for two years, though Obama's latest executive action will extend it to three years. She would also be able to apply to renew that protection as long as the program remains in effect. An eligible person CAN submit a DACA application while they are in removal proceedings, provided they are not currently in immigration detention, but the application won't be approved if the basis for the removal was something more serious than simple immigration status.

Not everyone who entered the US as a child is eligible to apply for DACA. They must have entered before they were 16. They must be under the age of 31 (as of June 15, 2012). They must have continuously resided in the US since June 15, 2007. They must not be a high school dropout (with some exceptions). They must not have committed a crime that would make them inadmissible to the US (i.e., deportable).

Anyway, this is all just supposition. Your original question has been answered about as well as it can be answered, given that we don't have all of the facts. I guess you'll find out if they let her back in when her vacation is over.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.