Guam PHL

How long is a K1 Visa interview session?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

less than 8 minutes for just the interview..

barely 3 questions..

mostly

where she was going.. when did we meet

and a question or two about my ex wives

and to why we got divorce

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

barely 3 questions..

mostly

Sounds like your fiance's interview was smooth sailing all the way to U.S. and it's very likely that it was a quick interview because you did an awesome job in proving a legitimate and true relationship great job! :)

thanks for your response

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

For those whom recently had a K1 interview at the USEM (Manila, Philippines), how long was your interview session?

Average 3-5 minutes

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It only took me in less than ONE MINUTE! ;) After the 4 basic questions, the CO told me, "have a nice day ahead ma'am because you are now approved. Congratulations!" I ended up asking him, "huh? That's all Sir?" Lol :)

For those whom recently had a K1 interview at the USEM (Manila, Philippines), how long was your interview session?

I was only asked 3 questions:

less that a minute I guess, it happened so fast.

name of my fiance?

state where he lives?

work of my fiance?

then right after, consul said

your visa is approved. :)

ROC Timeline:

Date Filed: September 18, 2017  (California Service Center)

ROC Approved: November 28,2018

10yr GC Received: December 6, 2018

N-400 Naturalization Timeline: (ONLINE)

(Day 00)Date Submitted, Received, Cashed, NOA & NOA Letter posted online: January 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 01)Date NOA Letter was mailed: January 31, 2019

(Day 02)Date Case Status Update: February 1, 2019 (BIOMETRICS SCHEDULED NOTICE)

(Day 03)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter was mailed: February 2, 2019

(Day 05)Date NOA received in the mail: February 4, 2019 

(Day 06)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter posted online: February 5, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 10)Date Biometrics Appointment Letter received in the mail: February 9, 2019

(Day 23)Date of Biometrics: February 22, 2019 COMPLETED 

(Day 23)Date Case Status Update:  February 22, 2019 (BIOMETRICS ACTIVELY REVIEWED)

(Day 211)Date INTERVIEW Appointment letter was mailed: August 29, 2019

(Day 211)Date Case Status Update : August 29, 2019 (7 months from filing) (INTERVIEW WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 212)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter posted online: August 30, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 222)Date INTERVIEW Appointment Letter received in the mail: September 7, 2019

(Day 241)Date of INTERVIEW: October 10, 2019 (8 months & 1 week from filing) (PASSED!!! )

(Day 241)Date Case Status Update: October 10, 2019 (NATURALIZATION CEREMONY WAS SCHEDULED)

(Day 241)Date OATH CEREMONY NOTICE was mailed: October 10, 2019 

(Day 243)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter posted online: October 12, 2019 (PDF POSTED ONLINE)

(Day 249)Date OATH CEREMONY Appointment Letter received in the mail: October 18, 2019 

(Day 256)Date of OATH CEREMONY: October 25,2019 

Timeline

barely 3 questions..

mostly

nice!

name of my fiance?

state where he lives?

work of my fiance?

awesome!

name of my fiance?

state where he lives?

work of my fiance?

awesome!

Average 3-5 minutes

cooool!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The K1 interview is like an assembly line now of days. they have so many people per day trying to get a visa.

You do the interview at the same window area where you talk to the pre screener.

A few years ago after you did the pre screener, for the actual interview you were taken into a separate room with a closed door and the CO would ask you questions in private, now of days you can stand close or sit close and listen to many of the interviews.

We just had our interview last month, it took about 2 minutes and 3 or 4 basic question, and he said you are approved.

Timeline

My wife was asked ONE question:

Q. Do you love him?

A: Yes ma'am, very much.

Approved.

awesome!

I believe I have tons of evidence to prove my fiance and I are in a legitimate relationship as well as true intentions to get married. I'm still in the I-129F preparation stage and so far my petition packet is about 1 1/2 inch thick due to the amount of documentary evidence (which might be an over-kill of evidence) including photos of me and my fiance (with her family also) of our genuine relationship and I far exceed the required income poverty line, had 6 visits with her, so, I'm just curious, how much evidence did you submit as proof of your genuine relationship? If it's less than what I have, then that will be a good sign that it will be smooth sailing for me and my fiance through the petition and K1 visa process :)

6 pictures, few pages of chat transcript... and I was there.

I was with Joan too and like others have mentioned, it was about 5 minutes for each stage (The Philippine Consul may have been a few minutes longer and that was behind closed doors). The questions were very basic and there was no problem. We were told by the American Consul that we were approved (answering a question from another thread). Some people are not told though. It is a good sign if they take your passport at the final window. It sounds like you have plenty of evidence. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Timeline

I was with Joan too and like others have mentioned, it was about 5 minutes for each stage (The Philippine Consul may have been a few minutes longer and that was behind closed doors). The questions were very basic and there was no problem. We were told by the American Consul that we were approved (answering a question from another thread). Some people are not told though. It is a good sign if they take your passport at the final window. It sounds like you have plenty of evidence. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Steve so you were actually in the interview room with Joan (your fiance then) and the consular officer as Joan was being interviewed?

It only took me in less than ONE MINUTE! ;) After the 4 basic questions, the CO told me, "have a nice day ahead ma'am because you are now approved. Congratulations!" I ended up asking him, "huh? That's all Sir?" Lol :)

nice! :)

Yes I was with her the whole time. I don't think it is uncommon. It was good to be able to support her, but a lot of people cannot be there and it works out just fine. Either way you should be OK.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Hi again Guam PHL! I posted this review after our interview. It is now lost among hundreds of other ones over the last year and 1/2. I thought you'd like to see it so I am posting it again here. Good luck!

"I don't see any problems. Your visa is APPROVED! Congratulations!"
Those beautiful words brought an 8 month journey to a close. Well, not a close, but a transition. Anyone who has been through the Fiancée visa process--or any visa process I imagine--knows that it is/was a long frustrating journey full of fear and uncertainty. The final step was wonderfully anti-climactic by comparison,.
We were in the 7:30AM tie slot for our interview at the embassy. Joan was up at 1:45 to get ready...I agreed to a 3:00 wake up call! We had instant noodles and bread and butter for breakfast and were in the taxi by 4:20AM! The embassy is a five minute taxi ride from the hotel so we pulled up at 4:30...to find an incredibly large bunch of people already waiting! Turns out that there were 6:15 and 6:30 time slots for tourist and other types of visas. The K-1 line was actually very short. We were the third in line. What looked chaotic at first was actually very well organized. There are plastic seats for rent for P30 (about 75 cents usd). It was soooo worth it even with a P20 tip! There was a snack and coffee stand set-up too. It was very interesting to sit and watch the sky lighten as the sun rose and Manila Bay awakened (it lived up to our nickname for it: the stinky bay!--unfortunately parts of the Bay don't smell very good!)...but we were thinking of other things so the smell faded fast.
The outdoor waiting area (cannot imagine what happens when it rains--we got lucky) is about 200 feet or so from the next holding area which is about 100 feet from the embassy entrance. There were about 20 of us in line for the K-1 visa by the time we were called to go. Joan went ahead of me but came back to walk with me because the people in line held our place. I was offered a wheelchair between the next two holding areas. I accepted but the distance really was not that great--of course we did not know that at the time. The wheelchair took a while so we began to think we would be late...but it did not matter.
The first line that counted was the entrance...sort of a tent set-up. Joan was asked for her appointment notice and forms (no one ever asked for the DS 230). The person checking the forms commented pleasantly that all the forms were already filled out! Then it was off through the first of two checkpoints...I just realized that I was never asked for my ID! Once you get through the first checkpoint (NO electronics!) you go to a window to be assigned a number. We got ours and proceeded to a huge waiting area but were then told to go back and get a different number for expedited processing because we had the wheelchair. You are given two copies...one gets stapled to your packet and one is given yo you to keep. "With wheelchair" was written on our number attached to our packet. We were then shown through a second checkpoint leading to the main waiting area. A greeter took our packet just past the checkpoint. Each set of numbers is processed in a different part of the large room, so the different lines outside made sense. However, once in the proper waiting area it did not seem to matter where you were on line. The numbers flash on a large board that tells you what window to proceed to. There is no apparent order to the numbers that flash!
Our number flashed to go to a window where they took Joan's fingerprints. We were told to return to the waiting area until the next step...well the expedited processing was true because we didn't even get back to our seat when we were called to a small room to meet with the Filipino Consul. He was businesslike, but pleasant and polite. He asked me if I minded if he talked to Joan in Tagalog. In fact he translated most of what he said anyway! The interview was over in less than 5 minutes. Joan signed the one form that you are instructed not to sign beforehand and then asked how we met, how many times I had been there (he was surprised when Joan said 4 times!). He asked if she was ever married and assumed that I had been married before. He joked that I waited a long time to get married. I said yes but good things come to those who wait! He took Joan's birth certificate, cenomar, and NBI. That was it for her! He then took my tax return and I-134. Finally he asked to see photos and said "OK now go back outside and wait for your number to flash. He smiled at Joan as we left and said "Mahalo" to me as we left! I thought the Hawaiian touch was nice.
So back to the waiting room...for a while...listen to the instructions of the greeters! Our number did NOT flash! The greeter was saying to move to a different part of the room if you were done with the finger printing and Filipino Consul. Joan's name was called as soon as we moved so who knows if we were called earlier!
Here it was...the big one...the American Consul! I stood up to be a part of the interview and he swore us both in. He was openly friendly from the start and asked Joan if she understood more Tagalog than English and provided an interpreter right away. I think he recognized that Joan's English was ok because he asked her if we could continue in English for my benefit. He asked how we met, when I came the first time, how long I stayed and how many times I visited. He was also surprised to hear that I was on my fourth trip! He asked me where I was from and said "oh that is not as bad as coming from the continental US! He asked what I did in Hawaii. He asked Joan if she was ever married and she asked him if he meant me and said no that I had not been married...then she said that she had not been married and he asked me. I said "no" and he laughed and said "then I guess it was 'no' for both of you!" He asked Joan if she had any children and then how we got engaged...what visit? Joan said "Bohol" and he laughed. He then asked what she loved about me and why she wanted to marry me. She said because I am humble and she loves me! The consul smiled a big smile and said "I don't see anything wrong here. Your visa is approved! Go back out and wait to be called to find out how to get your visa." We were there for less than 5 minutes!
The final step was to confirm how the visa would be delivered. Again Joan's name was called...no numbers flashing! The lady at this window was very friendly. I explained that I was leaving on June 11 and asked if there was any way to get the visa printed so Joan could join me. She asked if we had a ticket for her and seemed relieved when I said that we didn't. She then mentioned the CFO requirement and we said we were done with the CFO! She said that she could not promise, but she would put a note on our file and ask! I said "Thank you. That is all we can ask." She smiled and said "I think you can go now!"
We were back at the hotel in time to catch the end of breakfast! We were in front of people for probably a total of 15 minutes for four windows. The process was so very easy because we were well prepared with original papers ready to go (although there was no need to weigh ourselves down with two extra copies of everything!) We did see and hear people leaving because they did not have enough documentation or originals, so be careful in your preparations.
Joan and I want to offer our extreme thanks to everyone (especially Hank) on VJ and our new friends on FB for all the advice, support and encouragement along the way! It would have been a very different journey without you...
Now if you will excuse us, we have to see if the champagne in the freezer is cold enough to pop yet!
Addendum: Joan said that the first person to check the paperwork also looked for the cd from St. Luke's. One person did not have it and went home.
(updated on June 6, 2013)
PS (December 21, 2014) The visa arrived the day I left so Joan was not able to come back with me. She arrived in Honolulu two days later.
Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.