Rmarciam

Do we need attorney

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mozambique
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I m about to apply for k1 visa, as i can see the process in not so difficult with VJ members help, my fiance already met an attorney and she said that all the process is going to cost 10.000 usd from the beginning until we (me and my two minor kids) have the green cards, the reason made us the consider having an attorney it is that our last visit to US , i enter with b2 visa and they gave me 6 months, but kids enter in VPW and we stayed there 4 months , so they overstayed a month, because of that we are afraid to start the k1 visa without an attorney, any advices please, we are very worried about that :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .....

Thanks in Advance

Rmarciam

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That attorney is selling you a bill of goods. I don't believe that you'll need one for the k1 process unless you feel that you're not comfortable doing it yourself. The overstay isn't long enough for a ban but minors do not get bans anyway. However, those children may not be able to use vwp again.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I m about to apply for k1 visa, as i can see the process in not so difficult with VJ members help, my fiance already met an attorney and she said that all the process is going to cost 10.000 usd from the beginning until we (me and my two minor kids) have the green cards, the reason made us the consider having an attorney it is that our last visit to US , i enter with b2 visa and they gave me 6 months, but kids enter in VPW and we stayed there 4 months , so they overstayed a month, because of that we are afraid to start the k1 visa without an attorney, any advices please, we are very worried about that :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .....

Thanks in Advance

Rmarciam

Some people think that an attorney has magical abilties that can help their case. Well they do not. You are just as likely to get an RFE with an attorney than without one. In several cases, attorneys have sent in wrong paperwork or applied the law incorrectly. Just tell the truth on your application and don't omit anything. considering your kids left voluntarily within a 365 day period, I believe they do not have any bar on them that would prevent them from getting a visa. If there were a bar, for example, an attorney cannot do any magic as you will have to go about receiving a waiver just like someone without an attorney would. You do realize you are paying someone $10,000 to fill out an application, right?

Edited by msbau764

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Some people think that an attorney has magical abilties that can help their case. Well they do not. You are just as likely to get an RFE with an attorney than without one. In several cases, attorneys have sent in wrong paperwork or applied the law incorrectly. Just tell the truth on your application and don't omit anything. considering your kids left voluntarily within a 365 day period, I believe they do not have any bar on them that would prevent them from getting a visa. If there were a bar, for example, an attorney cannot do any magic as you will have to go about receiving a waiver just like someone without an attorney would. You do realize you are paying someone $10,000 to fill out an application, right?

Overstay as a minor is forgiven so that is not an issue

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

There is nothing a lawyer can do inside USCIS with 10.000 to give your kids a green card.

What has to be will be a lawyer is just filling forms the same exact you can write yourself :)

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

You do realize you are paying someone $10,000 to fill out an application, right?

^This OP. Use the self-help site VJ instead. You'll save thousands of dollars.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

$10,000 is an awful lot of money to give someone just for them to fill out the paperwork for you with the information you give them. YOU are still the one who needs to gather all the information and supporting documents, so why not just do it yourself?

No an attorney is not needed.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Other Country: Albania
Timeline

There is no special need for an attorney as the kids will not be subject to a bar. But it sounds like the attorney was quoting the entire cost- start to finish- of your process. To me it sounds like this would include all application fees, translations, medicals, etc. It would Include government fees for the adjustment as well as removal of conditions. All of the application fees and expense would add up to around 6 thousand dollars. Her fee sounds aabout right. About 4K for 3 people start to finish, but it may or may not be worth it to you. Again, there does not appear to be anything about your case which makes it particularly complicated or in need of an attorney.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mozambique
Timeline

Thank you so much everybody for your help, In fact i dont want to hire an attorney at all we going to have a lot of bills to pay , and we dont need more, but we were worried about kids overstay for a month we thought that maybe this would be a problem, but anyway i think we can do by ourselves ...any doubt i will ask you again.

Thank you so much.

Rmarciam

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Mozambique is nota VWP country. So to be absolutely clear they are citizens of a country that is?

No more VWP but that seems irrelevant anyway.

10k is a lot for a simple case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

$10,000.00 ....maybe if you all had criminal records

If you are well read, can adequately fill out forms & go

over it twice B4 mailing out, you don't need any atty for

that price.....the kids will now have to get visas but if

you decide to wait for K1 to go thru ..its all good.

Get all forms

original certificates

Docs

Money orders

Make copies of everything you send in and do it yourself

Hi everybody,

Thanks in Advance

Rmarciam

Look at Rapidvisa, is website that is very good and cheap. They help you 24-7 with anything you need...the price is like $350.00 dollars..from start to finish

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.