Rob L

The Best Places to Be an Expat

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Always stay on the first or second floor, or better yet, buy a house! We're going to get a condo in Hua Hin when we make the push because staying in the wife's village would definitely make one go tropo!

I was gonna do the village thing until I spent 3 weeks there in April. Now way in h3ll I'm living there. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years and I'm surprised I survived that without a liver transplant, so that's out. I don't want to be anywhere near ex-pats, so I don't think Hua Hin would work. I drove through a mid sized city that I really liked. Lampang. It's 8 hours from the family and 8 hours from Bangkok. Surrounded by mountains, Small, but big enough to have a mall with a Robinsons. I didn't see one farang there. I think that's where I'm gonna settle in about 6-7 years depending on the stock market.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

I was gonna do the village thing until I spent 3 weeks there in April. Now way in h3ll I'm living there. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years and I'm surprised I survived that without a liver transplant, so that's out. I don't want to be anywhere near ex-pats, so I don't think Hua Hin would work. I drove through a mid sized city that I really liked. Lampang. It's 8 hours from the family and 8 hours from Bangkok. Surrounded by mountains, Small, but big enough to have a mall with a Robinsons. I didn't see one farang there. I think that's where I'm gonna settle in about 6-7 years depending on the stock market.

We spend two weeks there every Songkran and it's 13 days too long! I like Hua Hin, mostly older retired Farangs and not the "nightclub" crowd. Gotta be near the ocean. Good wind for kiting there and close to Bangkok for travel and 5 hours from the village. We also have a place in Fiji which is super friendly to ex pats but, so much rain, seen many an ex pat go tropo and lose their mind (along with the liver!) Market did well today (fingers crossed)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've heard China is good, minus the language barrier, but I suspect you have an in when it comes to that. :)

I'm looking at Philippines (Palawan, Cebu, Bohol or Boracay), Belize, Thailand. Wanting to stay in each country for 4-6 months, see where we like best.

Belize is VERY receptive to older, retired ExPats. Residency for the asking, tax breaks on buying land, English (official language) is spoken everywhere about as much Kriol.

An ex-girlfriend from the Philippines warned me not to travel there. According to her, Americans can be targets for kidnapping and such.

An ex-girlfriend from the Philippines warned me not to travel there. According to her, Americans can be targets for kidnapping and such.

No offense, but you need a more reliable source than your ex. I've been to the PI several times and never had an issue. Then again, I was smart enough to stay out of Zamboanga.

Timeline

No offense, but you need a more reliable source than your ex. I've been to the PI several times and never had an issue. Then again, I was smart enough to stay out of Zamboanga.

Agreed. The real danger in PI is some 25 year old girl with a nice smile convincing you that you she needs your money more than you do.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one. Philippines, Belize, and Brunei are mysteriously absent...

The cost of living in many of those countries is greater than the US. That story is bs to the max

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A lot of U.S. expats have moved to Ecuador (which, incidentally, uses the U.S. dollar). The cost of living in Ecu is still better than in the U.S.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have heard Panama is a great place to retire for US Citizens.

I hope to travel there soon and check out the country

Philippines is high on the list for me, but the long flight and poor medical is a downfall for me........

I have heard Panama is a great place to retire for US Citizens.

I hope to travel there soon and check out the country

Philippines is high on the list for me, but the long flight and poor medical is a downfall for me........

You can get pretty decent medical care in the PI

Filed: Timeline

You can get pretty decent medical care in the PI

You wouldn't know it by most of the Filipino nurses and doctors I have met working in the US. I have friends that live in the Philippines. Like any third world country, they say it is hit and miss, especially away from the big cities. However, no waiting if you are an American and want to pay the American price.

Cost of living the Philippines went through the roof.

Perhaps if your house only has 5 foot walls.

Living in the PI is one half to one third the cost of most places in the US. Probably more like one fourth of where you live.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Perhaps if your house only has 5 foot walls.

Living in the PI is one half to one third the cost of most places in the US. Probably more like one fourth of where you live.

From 2004 till now was cheap then.