mike101

Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?

Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Was Your Tourist (B1/B2) Visa Approved?

• Yes
    • No

101 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I do realize there is a problem with people abusing tourist visas and the main problem is that there is no way of tracking people once they get to the USA or forcing them to return home if they overstay a visa. It costs money to enforce this so they then have to rely that the people will go back home on their own based on property and family ties.

Just because someone does not have a lot of money or property doesnt mean that they have no intentions of traveling back to their home country once their visa expires. Example my sister-in-law doesnt have a lot of money but is an honest person and just wants to visit her sister and see the USA.

I propose that people who fall in a "High risk" category be required to put up a refundable bond to secure their visa. similar to how credit card companies require a deposit to issue a credit card for people with bad credit. Example a person in a high risk category would be required to buy a $5,000 bond to secure their tourist visa. If they return before the visa expires they get their money back. If not, the US Govt keeps the money and its used to track and deport the person.

Thay way the USC that sponsors the immigrant would also have an interest in them returning home to get their bond money returned.

Edited by mike101

Blog: http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com/

K1 Timeline:
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
2009-12-26 : I-129F Sent
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA1
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA2
2010-04-02 : NVC Received
2010-04-05 : Consulate Received
2010-04-20 : Packet 3 Sent (via Fax)
2010-04-22 : Packet 3 Received by Consulate
2010-06-09 : Interview Date (APPROVED)
2010-06-24 : Visa Delivery (Via Domesa)
2010-07-01 : POE (Fort-Lauderdale)

2010-09-04 : Married !!!!

AOS Timeline
2010-09-11 : Packaged express mailed to Chicago Office:
2010-09-13 : Package delivered to USCIS Chicago
2010-09-20 : NOA1 via e-mail
2010-10-15 : Case Xfered to California Service Center
2010-12-01 : Inquiry made regarding delay of biometrics appointment letter
2010-12-15 : Received biometrics appointment letter (Scheduled for 2011-01-05)
2011-01-05 : Biometrics Appointment
2011-01-12 : Work Authorization Card Received
2011-01-26 : Two Year Green Card Received (Thank you VJ!!!!)

Us Citizen

May 2014

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The other person that was approved has a sister that is living illegally in the States, not to mention her fathers year ago went illegally including an aunt.

My fiance has no family in the states.

Like I said, no respect.

Your fiancé has you. Any romantic relationship with a USC is going to be heavily scrutinized. My parents are LPR's and I've never had trouble coming down to visit them, but saying I was visiting a bf or fiancé different story. I'm from a low fraud country but that doesn't even help. I'd bet that she didn't mention the illegal family to the IO.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your fiancé has you. Any romantic relationship with a USC is going to be heavily scrutinized. My parents are LPR's and I've never had trouble coming down to visit them, but saying I was visiting a bf or fiancé different story. I'm from a low fraud country but that doesn't even help. I'd bet that she didn't mention the illegal family to the IO.

The other person has a USC boyfriend. As of right now, this person we are speaking of is in the States and cannot even finance her trip without her USC boyfriend wiring money. I am 100% of things go wrong she is staying illegally. Not to mention she bought a one way ticket (how does one even get away with that at the border).

So damn unfair this system. I have known too many people with no jobs, no ties and illegal siblings get visas. I will never forgive the USGOVT for what they did to us. Never.

Edited by msbau764

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Timeline

The other person has a USC boyfriend.

You didn't mention that, you just mentioned her family. It is all about what is told to the IO. The tourist system like immigration is a broken system. Edited by Transborderwife

For whatever reason you did not satisfy the POE officer that you would leave at the end of your allotted stay.

Hmm, I don't understand you have replied to me. I did not satisfy the POE officer? for what?

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I've got " dating an American man thing" that made them refused my B-2 visa though I am not a girl from street that drooling over come to America.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

I've got " dating an American man thing" that made them refused my B-2 visa though I am not a girl from street that drooling over come to America.

what I don't get is that people that do pass the filter because the CO believes they will return are allowed to adjust status. That makes no sense whatsoever. The whole point of the scrutiny is to prove your ties that you will return, so when you adjust status you are doing the opposite with no penalty whatsoever. I imagine the number of people that adjust status is in the hundreds of thousands if not millions a year.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

what I don't get is that people that do pass the filter because the CO believes they will return are allowed to adjust status. That makes no sense whatsoever. The whole point of the scrutiny is to prove your ties that you will return, so when you adjust status you are doing the opposite with no penalty whatsoever. I imagine the number of people that adjust status is in the hundreds of thousands if not millions a year.

Exactly. I have tried to understand that so hard. My husband was so upset when I told him about many B-2 visa holders got married and the main reason I got refused because I was dating him and they worried I would use B-2 visa to marry him. Though it was not written but asked my then-boyfriend (my now husband) "to file I-129F" on the sheet of my B-2 visa refusal was very obvious reason they don't want me to use B-2 visa to get married in the US.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

They're damned if you do damned if you don't. If aos wasn't possible in country people would cry that it's in humaine to separate those while waiting for a visa or to have to possibly wait out bans. Some think that the k1 class is a ridiculous visa as just as much fraud seems to come through with it.

There has got to be a better system in place for visiting. People don't understand getting turned away if you have a passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

They're damned if you do damned if you don't. If aos wasn't possible in country people would cry that it's in humaine to separate those while waiting for a visa or to have to possibly wait out bans. Some think that the k1 class is a ridiculous visa as just as much fraud seems to come through with it.

There has got to be a better system in place for visiting. People don't understand getting turned away if you have a passport.

I agree people shouldn't be allowed to adjust to an immigrant status if they traveled to the USA on a non-immigrant visa and especially a tourist visa. If they do get married that should have to return to their home country and file for an immigrant visa.

Blog: http://fianceek1visa.blogspot.com/

K1 Timeline:
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
2009-12-26 : I-129F Sent
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA1
2009-12-28 : I-129F NOA2
2010-04-02 : NVC Received
2010-04-05 : Consulate Received
2010-04-20 : Packet 3 Sent (via Fax)
2010-04-22 : Packet 3 Received by Consulate
2010-06-09 : Interview Date (APPROVED)
2010-06-24 : Visa Delivery (Via Domesa)
2010-07-01 : POE (Fort-Lauderdale)

2010-09-04 : Married !!!!

AOS Timeline
2010-09-11 : Packaged express mailed to Chicago Office:
2010-09-13 : Package delivered to USCIS Chicago
2010-09-20 : NOA1 via e-mail
2010-10-15 : Case Xfered to California Service Center
2010-12-01 : Inquiry made regarding delay of biometrics appointment letter
2010-12-15 : Received biometrics appointment letter (Scheduled for 2011-01-05)
2011-01-05 : Biometrics Appointment
2011-01-12 : Work Authorization Card Received
2011-01-26 : Two Year Green Card Received (Thank you VJ!!!!)

Us Citizen

May 2014

This isn't what makes it difficult for people from high fraud countries to obtain a tourist visa. There is a perfectly legal route to take for this process. It's the people that come here and do not get married and do not adjust status, work illegally and take jobs away from American citizens that cause the problems.

Sorry, you're wrong on this one. The sheer number of people who would have qualified for a tourist visa otherwise (otherwise meaning not having a USC girlfriend/boyfriend) denied on those grounds and told to go for a K1 shows it. Yes, it's legal I suppose because anyone can legitimately change their minds/plans at any time but if you intend to use a B2 as a shortcut around the K1--that's fraud and that's a factor in what keeps others from getting B2s.

I think that the number of people who legitimately change their minds and spontaneously decide to get married while here on a B2 (which I admit can happen. But more likely is the intention is to marry on the B2 as a workaround) is so low that maybe the burden should be on them....no AOS. "Sorry folks, you can't adjust status because you did things a bit wonky, but no big deal, go home, get on the right track and wait in line with *literally everyone else in the world who is engaged/married to a USC*. Them's the breaks, kiddos, and that's how this process works. Don't like it? Can't do it? This may not be the right marriage for you. A lot more fair to put that relatively small number of people through that hassle (which, they did kind of invite on themselves) while also effectively punishing those who intended to break the rules, than it is to ask tens of thousands of people who probably *would* like to spend more time with their boyfriend/meet the family/see the town they're signing up to live in but can't just in case they turn into a scofflaw.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Sorry, you're wrong on this one. The sheer number of people who would have qualified for a tourist visa otherwise (otherwise meaning not having a USC girlfriend/boyfriend) denied on those grounds and told to go for a K1 shows it. Yes, it's legal I suppose because anyone can legitimately change their minds/plans at any time but if you intend to use a B2 as a shortcut around the K1--that's fraud and that's a factor in what keeps others from getting B2s.

I think that the number of people who legitimately change their minds and spontaneously decide to get married while here on a B2 (which I admit can happen. But more likely is the intention is to marry on the B2 as a workaround) is so low that maybe the burden should be on them....no AOS. "Sorry folks, you can't adjust status because you did things a bit wonky, but no big deal, go home, get on the right track and wait in line with *literally everyone else in the world who is engaged/married to a USC*. Them's the breaks, kiddos, and that's how this process works. Don't like it? Can't do it? This may not be the right marriage for you. A lot more fair to put that relatively small number of people through that hassle (which, they did kind of invite on themselves) while also effectively punishing those who intended to break the rules, than it is to ask tens of thousands of people who probably *would* like to spend more time with their boyfriend/meet the family/see the town they're signing up to live in but can't just in case they turn into a scofflaw.

What it shows is that the person did not satisfy the POE officer that they did not have immigrant intent. You have no idea who would or wouldn't qualify for a tourist visa.

Timeline

What it shows is that the person did not satisfy the POE officer that they did not have immigrant intent. You have no idea who would or wouldn't qualify for a tourist visa.

I have talked to several people that have been through the process. Many times the decision is already made. Whenever they want to reject you they will go out of their way to find a reason to deny you. Not objective at all, there is very little "satisfying" of criteria. I have known people with government jobs get rejected as well as people with no money to their name get accepted. It is a dumb process and by no means does a CO deserve any glorification for their perceptive abilities.

I have talked to several people that have been through the process. Many times the decision is already made. Whenever they want to reject you they will go out of their way to find a reason to deny you. Not objective at all, there is very little "satisfying" of criteria. I have known people with government jobs get rejected as well as people with no money to their name get accepted. It is a dumb process and by no means does a CO deserve any glorification for their perceptive abilities.

There's no doubt that the basis of deciding who gets in and who doesn't is very inconsistent. As long as you have humans running it, there will always be different interpretations of who qualifies and who doesn't. I think there are many CO's who take their job seriously and do the best they can, but there are also many who don't give a damn ad are there for the paycheck. What gets me is when some people single out another group of people who chose a perfectly legal route allowed to them by the gov't as the problem simply because they were able to do things quicker and easier. All sour grapes to me.

The people who have a right to be angry are the poor folks who are already married and have families that are separated while they are stuck waiting 18 months or more for their marriage visas to be approved. No one should have to endure that amount of wait time.

Edited by Teddy B

....except if they've previously successfully received a B2 and then when applying for another (later down the road) and the only difference is the existence of a relationship with a USC. Which has/does happen and I believe has been outlined in this thread.

Have you met anyone denied for a B2 who is in a relationship with a USC? Have you read posts from those kinds of people here on VJ? Have you read all the posts in this very thread? It is pretty clear that people who would or who have previously qualified are being denied by either the Counselor Officer at US Embassies abroad or at the Port of Entry in the US because of the existence of that relationship, and the "risk" of the applicant using the visa as an immigrant visa, based on past experience of exactly this type of abuse.

When the person denying you tells you to apply for a K1 instead, it is pretty clear what the reason for denial is. When the line of questioning at the POE veers into personal relationship questions including "do you intend to get married" and then denies you, it is obvious along what lines the officer is thinking (or if you have any sort of proof that they are specifically NOT thinking this, I'd love to see it).

And while this part is complete speculation (but based on a firm understanding of how these things operate based on my own employment history), I would not be at all surprised if this is some sort of job performance metric that the State Department uses for Counselor Officers---I know for sure that they measure B2 processing times/rates and refusal/approval rates (I do not know if there are any guidelines or quotas, however). It is very possible that they further measure how many of a particular CO's approvals don't return. If the easiest way to immigrate on a B2 is to lie to a CO about your intentions and then stay and adjust based on marriage, and a CO gets a poor job performance every time someone overstays (or stays and adjusts based on marriage), and you're in a relationship with a USC...isn't it easier to just deny everyone who is in a relationship with a USC? Especially if they're measuring you on how many visas you can process in a day? Why take the extra time to really hear the person out? They've got a "legal" way to not return, making your other metric look bad too (if that other metric exists---that's the question mark). Easier to hear the word "boyfriend" and auto-deny.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.